msi b450 tomahawk amd 3000 no longer posting

Associate
Hi, so I sold my mountain bike so I can finally upgrade my ageing AM3+ pc.

I ordered a ryzen 5 3600 cpu, 2x8GB of RAM and an MSI Tomahawk B450 motherboard.

After struggling initially to get the BIOS updated to accept the cpu, I did get it working and all my programs installed, some gaming done, etc. Even tried some cpu overclocking attempts with no success - none.

So I tried a preset RAM setting in the BIOS > F10 > restart > FAIL > it's not posted since!

The MSI forum is full of people with the same problem, MSi won't/can't tell anyone if and when a new BIOS update will be available.

There is even an article on a gaming website saying they have a fix...but you need an old ryzen cpu which I don't have.

Also I found someone on this forum say after suffering the same problem they swapped the board for a Gigabyte X570 which is also not posting!

What should I do?

Associate
OP
Re flash the bios I reckon using the flashback button at the back of the board.

I've been told that won't help, as I suspected it wouldn't. There is the latest bios on there and it's been reset to default.

I've tried booting with one stick of RAM in the 2nd slot.

Turning the PSU off, then on for 5 mins, then waiting 10 mins to turn computer on, I did that 5 or 6 times.

Cleared CMOS at least 10 times too.

Associate
I tried that, and had enough.
So I sent it back for a refund.

I'd take all components out, cpu and 24pin cable in, power to psu on, and flashback.
I hope that works, otherwise, it is the end.

Wait for a new bios, or purchase X570 board.

Associate
OP
I tried that, and had enough.
So I sent it back for a refund.

I'd take all components out, cpu and 24pin cable in, power to psu on, and flashback.
I hope that works, otherwise, it is the end.

Wait for a new bios, or purchase X570 board.

Ah, you've had same problem too with B450 and 3000 series ryzen? What pc have you got now?

Associate
OP
I'm thinking that, as I purchased the cheapest of the best motherboards on the AM4 platform, I can't afford to upgrade to X570.

So I reckon my best option is to downgrade the CPU and go with what I originally planned on upgrading to, an R5 2600, as it would still be a huge upgrade over my AM3+ set up with an FX6300 CPU and 12GB miss-matched RAM.

Associate
I'm thinking that, as I purchased the cheapest of the best motherboards on the AM4 platform, I can't afford to upgrade to X570.

So I reckon my best option is to downgrade the CPU and go with what I originally planned on upgrading to, an R5 2600, as it would still be a huge upgrade over my AM3+ set up with an FX6300 CPU and 12GB miss-matched RAM.

Aye, I am over stretching my budget a bit for the X570 board.
Since I am hoping it lasts at least 5 years or more, then it is worth the extra spend.

Or see, if you can get in on the AMD loan CPU program.
They send you a lower cpu so that the board works properly, then update the bios, put back in the 3000 series, and send back the old cpu.

Soldato
I don't know if you've seen this Reddit link, which was posted in another thread. https://www.reddit.com/r/MSI_Gaming/comments/ce3ift/msi_b450_tomahawk_update/

Good to know they are working on fixing the BIOS, but it looks like it's going to be the end of the month before working and stable BIOS are released. That is assuming they can sort out the problems by then with the 450/470 boards.

It's difficult to know what to do. If you wait until stable BIOS are released, there is a good chance that won't be until the deadline has passed for you to return the board. Of course; that's assuming they can sort out the BIOS issues for the 16MB ROM 450/470 boards. I assume they will eventually.

Returning the board and getting a different brand is an option, but the problem will be in getting that flashed. Unless the boards of choice has a flashback feature similar to the MSI boards, then you'd either need a previous gen CPU or you'd have to get a loan CPU from AMD, mentioned above.

You could return the board and wait until MSI release the 32MB Max version of the Tomahawk and get that, which will come as Ryzen 3000 ready out of the box.

Other option would be to just get a 2600 (as you've mentioned) and flash to a previous stable BIOS, or spend extra on a X570, which is quite a jump up in cost.

maj

maj

Soldato
I've been doing some research on this as my 3600 and b450 mobo arrive tomorrow and I'm hoping I don't run into any difficulties such as this. A solution I've seen is to remove the 'Reset SW' jumper and the mobo will then post.

Soldato
I've been doing some research on this as my 3600 and b450 mobo arrive tomorrow and I'm hoping I don't run into any difficulties such as this. A solution I've seen is to remove the 'Reset SW' jumper and the mobo will then post.
Thanks for posting that. I'm in a similar situation as you waiting for stuff to arrive so it's good to be aware of potential problems and fixes prior. ;)

Soldato
I am shortly going to buy a B450 mini-itx for a 3600. Any advice? Should I enquire whether OcUK will flash the lastest bios for me? or will buying a X470 be any better? or is MSI the main problem?

OcUK won't flash the BIOS before shipping. I've seen at least two people confirm that OcUK told them they won't do that. AFAIK, ITX boards don't have a flashback feature like you find on the larger boards. I don't know if that only applies to ITX MSI boards, or all ITX from all brands have no flashback feature.

I suppose you could post which ITX boards you are considering, then we can look and go from there.

Without some kind of flashback feature on the board, then the only way to et a Ryzen 3000 working with a 450/470 board, would be either have a previous gen CPU so you can flash to the latest BIOS, or you'd need to sign up to AMD's loan CPU service.

maj

maj

Soldato
All MSI B450 boards have the flash button if I remember right which means you don't need a CPU to flash the bios which is why I specifically chose them over another brand. Once flashed you can then put the Ryzen 3000 CPU in and everything should be good to go. If you want b450 but don't have a previous gen ryzen or you're coming straight from intel like me, MSI is your only choice.

Luckily my dad has a 1600 I could use as a plan-b if needed.

Thanks for posting that. I'm in a similar situation as you waiting for stuff to arrive so it's good to be aware of potential problems and fixes prior. ;)

It's not something I would have ever thought to try to fix it. Hopefully I don't need it though.

Associate
All MSI B450 boards have the flash button if I remember right which means you don't need a CPU to flash the bios which is why I specifically chose them over another brand. Once flashed you can then put the Ryzen 3000 CPU in and everything should be good to go. If you want b450 but don't have a previous gen ryzen or you're coming straight from intel like me, MSI is your only choice.

Luckily my dad has a 1600 I could use as a plan-b if needed.

It's not something I would have ever thought to try to fix it. Hopefully I don't need it though.
The MSI B450 ITX doesn't have flashback feature.

maj

maj

Soldato
The MSI B450 ITX doesn't have flashback feature.

According to OCUK website, the Gaming Plus ITX does:

• External Connections:
    1x PS/2 Combo
    2x USB 3.1 Type A
    2x USB 3.0 Type A
    2x USB 2.0
    2x WiFi Antennae (bundled)
    1x Gigabit LAN (Realtek)
    1x DisplayPort
    1x HDMI
    1x BIOS Flashback Button
    3x Audio (HD Audio, 7.1 Sound)

edit: Having checked MSI website the info on OCUK might be incorrect. So yeah does look to be only ATX and mATX that has flashback.

Last edited:
Associate
According to OCUK website, the Gaming Plus ITX does:

edit: Having checked MSI website the info on OCUK might be incorrect. So yeah does look to be only ATX and mATX that has flashback.

OCUK descriptions are often unreliable.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...ocket-am4-mini-itx-motherboard-mb-33w-ms.html
Same site also states that same ITX motherboard has
Slots (with a Ryzen CPU):
1x PCIe 3.0 x16
1x PCIe 2.0 x16 (electrical x4)
Multi-GPU Configurations: 2-way AMD CrossFire
4x PCIe 2.0 x1

Associate
thanks guys for the flashback advice. I built my daughter a 1700 pc a couple of years ago but unfortunately she is very protective and I doubt whther she would loan me her CPU even though I have some thermal grizzly left.

Soldato
Having checked MSI website the info on OCUK might be incorrect.

Wouldn't be the first time. :p

Not so long back someone bought a Powercolor Red Dragon RX580. The guy was confused why the card he received had fewer ports than what it should have. Turned out that Powercolor do a version of the same card with fewer connections and that is the card OcUK are selling. Trouble is, they included info and specs for a different model card. :p

Edit:

Just looking at the listing of that card, I can see they still have the wrong info. They are selling a AXRX580 8GBD5-DHD/OC, but the specs and info is for: AXRX 580 8GBD5-3DHDV2/OC.

No surprise I suppose that no one has bothered to correct that, because for years they had a Xonar DG sound card for sale, with the info and specs for a Xonar DS. :p

Last edited:
Soldato
This is the issue with AMD not releasing any boards that natively support Zen 2 for under £100, why the hell they didn't release some B550 boards beats me, I'd be all over Zen 2 but even the cheapest X570 boards are £150 and the good ones cost over £200+, no one in their right mind would spend all that on a £180 CPU.

Back
Top Bottom