AV Receiver Advice

Associate
New the PC Building game. It's really fun picking all the parts out yourself.

One question.

I currently have an Pioneer AV Receiver with 5.1 speakers. My Xbox and Switch run on different HDMI INs and then HDMI out to my TV. I'd simply like to add my PC but it's proving a head scratcher.

Once I've built my PC with and MSI 144hz gaming monitor how would you advise connecting up the AV receiver to the PC/monitor? The receiver only has 1x HDMI out so I couldn't connect both TV and monitor at the same time.

Also what about ms lag this may or may not introduce?

Associate
Optical from Motherboard and DP from GPU direct to the Monitor is one option however, this depends on what codec you want the receiver to decode.

Another is to connect the PC to the AV receiver and on the Out side have a HDMI switcher to switch between TV and Monitor however, this could introduce lag.

Shawrey

Soldato
Something like this (switch between ouputs - and can be reversed) - but lag would have to be considered - i think you can get ones with a remote:

miURvae.jpg

Soldato
Thinking of getting a new receiver (for Dolby Atmos). Some receivers have two HDMI outs. Anyone know what the secondary 'sub' HDMI out is? Is it just a second out?

https://www.richersounds.com/promotions/summer-savings-av-separates/onkyo-txnr686-black.html
I think it mirrors the image from the main HDMI output - essentially splits the image - double check you manual.

Splitters worry me when I'm focusing so much on the spec of the monitor.
Perhaps worth a ~£15 gamble - but appreciate your concerns.

Kei

Kei

Soldato
Ignoring the TV issue, you would likely have issues anyway as your receiver probably doesn't support higher than 60Hz.

You could use a different input on the receiver. (provided it has them) I use Optical (TOSlink) to connect my pc to my av pre-amp, though to get surround sound requires live encoding of dolby digital or dts. (5.1 only) If you have analogue inputs on the av receiver you could use them for each channel.

Associate
OP
I want to forget the picture at this stage, the MSI monitor would be connected to the GFX card, end.

For the sound I'm looking at various sound cards, would I simply connect this card using Optical (TOSlink) to the receiver. Then do receivers have an option to just select the optical audio input?

Kei

Kei

Soldato
Most receivers should have an optical connection available that can be assigned to an input name. In my case with a marantz av7701, I have optical 1 assigned to the audio input on "media player". In a basic setup this would only get you stereo PCM. The best you can get out of optical is 5.1 as bitstream which would require a suitable sound card featuring dolby digital live or dts connect.

Associate
OP
Most receivers should have an optical connection available that can be assigned to an input name. In my case with a marantz av7701, I have optical 1 assigned to the audio input on "media player". In a basic setup this would only get you stereo PCM. The best you can get out of optical is 5.1 as bitstream which would require a suitable sound card featuring dolby digital live or dts connect.

Any suggestions which sound card you would buy? Would this support Dolby Atmos if the receiver did? I know you can get the Windows Dolby Atmos app which simulates it.

Kei

Kei

Soldato
I had an asus xonar essence ST that did dolby digital live via optical. I've no idea on current options, I've had an rme hdspe aio for a while now so I'm out of touch with current sound cards that support surround. Optical will not support atmos as it cannot support more than 5.1 channels.

Back
Top Bottom