New AMD Ryzen build

Associate
Hi,

I've just put together my first PC. The build has gone smoothly, no issue with fitting components etc. The build is now complete, it powers up but there is no display output. All fans spinning (except CPU fan, which I then plugged into another header and it did start to spin, so i suspect the CPU isn't generating enough heat for it to start on the CPU fan header?), video card is lit and fans spinning.

The parts list is as follows:

Asus Prime B450 Plus
Ryzen 3600
Corsair LPX vengeance 3200 mhz
radeon 5700 xt
nzxt e-650 power supply
Item 660p M.2 NVME 1Gb
Barracuda 2Tb mechanical drive

I've also notice that the usb headers aren't working. There is no beep when I power up the PC, but I guess it might just not have a speaker!

Any help would be hugely appreciated. Let me know if I have missed any vital details...

Associate
OP
I should also say I have reseated cable, memory etc. The only thing I haven't removed and replaced was the GPU which I can't get out!

Associate
OP
Nightmare - I was under the impression that if the board was ryzen 2 compatible it would work for ryzen 3, then flash for better stability once i was in the bios. I'm nowhere near west midlands unfortunately. I bought the board from scan (though it wasn't them that gave me the advice). Am i wrong in thing that and send out gen 1 chips (for a deposit) to allow people to flat to gen 2? Perhaps they can do the same for gen2=>3

Associate
They do have a programme, usually a 200GE, but it takes a while to get it all sorted. Probably be faster ordering a cheap CPU yourself from somewhere with fast delivery.

RE: CPU fan, there is only one CPU fan header for your processor cooler, the other is probably a header for a case fan. Your PC won't have an internal speaker unless you connected it yourself, some motherboards come with internal speaker, others don't....but even if it does, the user needs to connect it to the speaker header.

Associate
OP
Would something like the AMD Ryzen 3 1200 Quad Core CPU processor work for flashing? £56, I could flath the bios and then sell it on?

Associate
OP
They do have a programme, usually a 200GE, but it takes a while to get it all sorted. Probably be faster ordering a cheap CPU yourself from somewhere with fast delivery.

RE: CPU fan, there is only one CPU fan header for your processor cooler, the other is probably a header for a case fan. Your PC won't have an internal speaker unless you connected it yourself, some motherboards come with internal speaker, others don't....but even if it does, the user needs to connect it to the speaker header.

Thanks - so a 200ge would do the trick? It seems like £41 quid wasted though, I cannot imagine there would be much demand afterwards.

Regarding the fan header, I have the cpu cooler connected to the cpu fan header and it doesn't spin. To make sure it was working I just connected it to another "regular" fan header which it did, so I switched it back...if that makes sense?

Associate
There would be a demand afterwards as tons of people are in the same boat as you. I know in Ireland, 2nd hand 2200Gs, 200GE, Ryzen 1200 are snapped up instantly 2nd hand for this very reason, people with B450Ms that didn't realise they needed another CPU/or bios flashback failed.

From AMD the process can take a while, but if you bought a 200GE from OCUK you'd probably have it next day in UK.

Associate
OP
Thanks to everyone for your quick replies. Looks like my wallet is already going to be even emptier! I've upsold myself on the whole build so why stop now :D

Look out for an AMD 220ge for sale in about a week. Hopefully that fixes the issue. If not I'll be back!

Last edited:
Soldato
Gigabyte are only vendor to flash boards , as their whole operation is based in the UK - @GIGA-Man is their rep on here.

some MSI B450 have bios flash ability without CPU vs USB. seems half of posts on reddit have come across issues and they dont use dual bios chips like gigabyte so if something goes wrong you've got dead board.

Soldato
some MSI B450 have bios flash ability without CPU vs USB. seems half of posts on reddit have come across issues and they dont use dual bios chips like gigabyte so if something goes wrong you've got dead board.

Well that is factually incorrect since a bad flash using BIOS flashback can't kill a board. BIOS flashback works in the same way an external SPI programmer would, with the software built into the board, the USB is just supplying the data file, and the PSU the 5v/3v3 needed to power the SPI flash ROM chip. You could literally flash the board 100's of times with no problems, other than shortening the write life of the SPI flash chip.

Soldato
Well that is factually incorrect since a bad flash using BIOS flashback can't kill a board. BIOS flashback works in the same way an external SPI programmer would, with the software built into the board, the USB is just supplying the data file, and the PSU the 5v/3v3 needed to power the SPI flash ROM chip. You could literally flash the board 100's of times with no problems, other than shortening the write life of the SPI flash chip.

yeah it can, even gigabytes flashback x570 Gaming X without dual bios with a corrupt flash bricked the board. Gigabyte and OCUK replaced the board. also has this on ASUS board and confirmed with friend from ASUS Taiwan (friend is PR) and Spire UK that corrupted flash wouldn;t enable correction via USB flash and bios chip had to be replaced . Boards power power up for a second and then stop . USB flash would work as normal but file wouldn't be written .
why Gigabyte has swap-able chips - small chance it goes wrong, easy to chance .

shame asrock stopped doing dual bios chips - all vendors should be doing them , specially on £400 boards

Soldato
Again not going to get into an argument about something I do almost everyday. An SPI flash programmer is what they use to flash blank chips at the factory level, and that is how a flash back button works. Unless the chip is over-volted or the chip gets destroyed due to some freak accident, then it is just a dumb chip which is programmed via a programmer. If the board doesn't support Flashback without a CPU, RAM etc. then it is not SPI but a custom half baked method, where a MSI do it properly.

Dual BIOS and BIOS Flashback (aka SPI programming) are two completely different things. I suggest you do some further research in to how SPI programming works. On board with Intel ME, then you have other issues.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Just as a quick update. I decided to claim the boot kit from AMD. It took a week from start to finish so not too bad, and within 15 minutes I had flashed the bios and installed my new 3600. Works like a dream.

Thanks to everyone for their help and advice, much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom