• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Help an idiot out - please

Associate
I am trying to see if I'd benefit by installing a dedicated GPU over my onboard chip. My usage is only general and it's my browsing that sometimes frustrates me with slow population of pages that are graphics intense.
Before I make a purchase I have been given a Sapphire Radeon HD5870 which I could you to experiment. My equipment is a Micro ATX Gigabyte MB in a full size case, CPU is i3 and power supply a Corsair Gold X650W.
Will the card work OK and will it be too demanding on any of the components. If it does work and I see an improvement. Although I know it's in excess my needs, under light loads will it still be noisy and would it require internal fans.
TBH I want to do as little as possible and wouldn't fit it if other work was needed. Please be honest - not cruel. Thanks.

Soldato
hi foreright, card should be fine. swapping your cpu for one with a better integrated graphics option might be a good way without adding a card. it’s what i did for my dads rig - less to go wrong :)

Associate
I'm guessing, but it sounds like there's no SSD being used for the OS. I think a fresh install of Windows on a new SSD would probably be the most beneficial upgrade.

My usage is only general and it's my browsing that sometimes frustrates me with slow population of pages that are graphics intense.
I don't think a dedicated GPU is likely needed in your use case.

Also, how much RAM does the PC have? I'd recommend a minimum of 8GB.

Associate
OP
I'm guessing, but it sounds like there's no SSD being used for the OS. I think a fresh install of Windows on a new SSD would probably be the most beneficial upgrade.

I don't think a dedicated GPU is likely needed in your use case.

Also, how much RAM does the PC have? I'd recommend a minimum of 8GB.

I have my OS (W&7) on an SSD. I have 8GB already fitted. As an example (perhaps not a good one) when I go to the Daily Mirror on-line the home page takes ages to populate. I have increased ti Internal Graphics Memory Size in BIOS from default 64M to 128M to no avail.
As I said the GPU card is a gift if it would help and I'm happy to double the memory.

Man of Honour
I have my OS (W&7) on an SSD. I have 8GB already fitted. As an example (perhaps not a good one) when I go to the Daily Mirror on-line the home page takes ages to populate. I have increased ti Internal Graphics Memory Size in BIOS from default 64M to 128M to no avail.
As I said the GPU card is a gift if it would help and I'm happy to double the memory.

Cant hurt to give it a go, on just desktop loads the 58XX series wasn't any louder than probably what you experience now. Under a heavy load they could be a bit noisy and lets be honest it's an old card so that fan might not be up to much. Either way you have the card and you shouldnt have any major issues just plugging it in and giving it a go. You might need to find an older amd driver as I am fairly sure they dropped support for the 5000 series (apart from 5450?), I could be wrong though.

Associate
8GB RAM should be sufficient.

What internet browser are you using? If using Chrome, try installing the uBlock Origin browser extension.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sounds like it’s doing you a favour by not loading the daily mirror website;)

Try installing an ad blocker, these news websites load so many scripts they can seriously slow pc’s.

Associate
OP
Sounds like it’s doing you a favour by not loading the daily mirror website;)

Try installing an ad blocker, these news websites load so many scripts they can seriously slow pc’s.

I only quote the DM as some searches direct you there for certain news stories. But it's the one that springs to mind when I have difficulties. I agree that it si full of pictures and ads which obviously pose the biggest demand on my GPU.

Associate
This CPU should be capable of browsing the internet without serious lag.

Generally IE but on some sites ie. HSBC and Spotify to name 2, I have to use Chrome.
I'd highly recommended stopping all usage of Internet Explorer immediately. Even Microsoft have given up trying to support it.

Try installing the ad blocker uBlock Origin browser extension on Chrome.

Back
Top Bottom