Samsung 49'' inch monitor (CRG9) release date 22 April and cost about 1.400£

Soldato
Yup. I'm trying to decide if it'd be jarring having the edges unavailable though.

Btw, on the CRG9, if you downscale the resolution to the CHG's resolution, how does it look? Still playable? I'm just thinking in regard to GPU constraints as sadly I have a measly 2080 and I'm sure this screen deserves a 2080ti.

You'd be fine with a 2080, albeit obviously it wont be quite as easy as with a 2080ti.

It's always a little unfortunate not being able to use the whole 32:9, but I wouldn't say it was jarring, as you'll quickly adjust to the black borders. The only time I could say it may bother you, is if you're running HDR and have an fps counter or system stats running in the black bars, as it'll cause the black borders to be slightly lit due to the dimming zone limitation.

Soldato
  1. How is the Gsync compataibility? Does it work in windowed mode or only full screen mode

2. Can you easily play games in 21:9 mode? are the black bars annoying?

3. At what fps does the freesync/gsync start failing or causing flickering?

4. What do games look like if you downscale to CHG90 resolution? (is the upscaling decent or awful)

5. Is anyone runing one on a RTX 2080 or 1080ti?

6. Has anyone upgraded from an AW34? Thoughts?
If anyone can help me those questions.. would be much appreciated! :D

Caporegime
I can't help much @aoaaron but maybe a little (I don't have a nV card at present).

2 - Doesn't bother me, tried it on the 1080p version when I used to have a 1080Ti and was fine (this is highly subjective though)
3 - Haven't seen any flickering so far using the 'Ultimate Engine' setting but I do gather if you do see some flickering then the 'Standard' Freesync setting helps with this (although you're limited to 70-120 range)
4 - Will check scaling
6 - Had an AW34 briefly and thought it was pretty awesome, trouble is it arrived with some v slight screen damage that I wasn't happy with so the seller refunded me.

The AW is v v good, hard to say if this is worth £500+ more when s/h values are taken into account tbh. Tough one.

Associate
I have just installed this bad boy, lovely monitor - Doom maxed out was a wonder to behold. ...But, I have coil whine. Gutted. Its not extremely loud and its only on the right side near the top - but I can hear it. Going to have to RMA it I think, I just cannot stand the buzzing sound. Does anyone else have this? Are your monitors dead quiet. The left side is fine, so I'm assuming so should the right side? I always have to return equipment, I had to return my TV 4 times, hope I do not have the same bad luck with this monitor.

So such an expensive monitor, its not much to ask for it to be silent, is it :)

Spence

Associate
I have just installed this bad boy, lovely monitor - Doom maxed out was a wonder to behold. ...But, I have coil whine. Gutted. Its not extremely loud and its only on the right side near the top - but I can hear it. Going to have to RMA it I think, I just cannot stand the buzzing sound. Does anyone else have this? Are your monitors dead quiet. The left side is fine, so I'm assuming so should the right side? I always have to return equipment, I had to return my TV 4 times, hope I do not have the same bad luck with this monitor.

So such an expensive monitor, its not much to ask for it to be silent, is it :)

Spence

Coil Whine on a monitor - no not something I have ever experienced. My PC is next to it though and all I can hear is the whoosh of the fans of the PC. Thats so strange - have you changed the power supply ?

Associate
Coil Whine on a monitor - no not something I have ever experienced. My PC is next to it though and all I can hear is the whoosh of the fans of the PC. Thats so strange - have you changed the power supply ?

Hey Az, maybe I'm using the wrong terminology :) ..Its a buzz like sound coming from the back of the monitor, on the right hand side. I have never heard of this kind of noise from an LCD/QLED monitor before, from the old CRT's back in the day yes, but I certainly didn't get it from my previous monitor the PG348Q.

And I'm using the power plug that came with the monitor.

Does your monitor produce any noise at all, especially from the back?

Thanks m8

Forgive the quality of this recording, just did it with my phone quickly - if you turn it up a bit you can hear the noise.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11IYl4JfWsFthvfkv1Hb5ZxICV_pRZskr/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Associate
I fear I may be slightly deaf mate - had speakers on full blast but could not hear anything untowards - doesn't help my noisy PC is next to me. I should probably listen it on my IPAD in the bedroom where it is quiet.

I am not joking when I say im slightly deaf I don't seem to be able to hear certain noises my wife can etc.

Had a quick read online and you are right its either faulty capacitors on the monitor or your power supply. Looks like RMA is the way to go.

JediFragger should also be able to answer your question better then me.

Associate
Same mine was a used one. I can only guess people underestimate its size etc or unable to get used to it. I salute then for saving me lots of cash.

Spent an hour in Forza again. It's like having a racing arcade cabinet in your home.

Soldato
Hmm how is ocuk if returns of this fella if there’s a fault?

This coil whine concerns me and the dead pixel reports. I’d like to support ocuk but what’s the return or rma process like?

Associate
Hi guys, yep.. Tried ignoring the buzzing sound... Er, nope. It's an afront to my ears! I have a 65 inch OLED TV that does make a sound, so I'm not putting up with it from a monitor. Spoke to OC, they are happy to take it back and replace with a new one, was told they have 18 more coming in next week.

Last night I heard a high pitch whine from the monitor, then the buzzing started, so something happened for sure.

Thanks for the advice.

Soldato
Hey Az, maybe I'm using the wrong terminology :) ..Its a buzz like sound coming from the back of the monitor, on the right hand side. I have never heard of this kind of noise from an LCD/QLED monitor before, from the old CRT's back in the day yes, but I certainly didn't get it from my previous monitor the PG348Q.

And I'm using the power plug that came with the monitor.

Does your monitor produce any noise at all, especially from the back?

Thanks m8

Forgive the quality of this recording, just did it with my phone quickly - if you turn it up a bit you can hear the noise.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11IYl4JfWsFthvfkv1Hb5ZxICV_pRZskr/view?usp=sharing
That sounds like an electic arc to me. Had a tv do the same thing, could even seen the arc lighting up the back of the tv if I looked very closely from the right angle. Good call on returning it.

Soldato
Hi guys, yep.. Tried ignoring the buzzing sound... Er, nope. It's an afront to my ears! I have a 65 inch OLED TV that does make a sound, so I'm not putting up with it from a monitor. Spoke to OC, they are happy to take it back and replace with a new one, was told they have 18 more coming in next week.

Last night I heard a high pitch whine from the monitor, then the buzzing started, so something happened for sure.

Thanks for the advice.

How is the return process sorted by OCUK? Are they arranging pick up, is the replacement coming first or are you sending back the monitor first and waiting?

I'm thinking of buying this same model but the numerous faults makes me feel like I need to buy from a retailer who'll be able to help me if sh** hits the fan.

Soldato
I have ps4 pro (connected with my Sony XF9005) and playstation has this without problems, HDR in all games is pretty nice. I don´t have these PC games on PS4, so I can´t compare it with HDR quality on PS, but I´ve compared all these games between Samsung (DP) and XF9005 (HDMI) with same settings and the difference was night and day, but you have to be on 'game' profile on TV. I know, this TV has much higher contrast Ratio (+-6000:1) and all of these post processing things such enhanced contrast, ... You can also increase color saturation in HDR on Sony TV. This option is on Samsung not possible, cause color option is greyed out under HDR. Maybe that´s the problem too, that this Monitor doesn´t have all of these possibilities to tweak the picture in HDR as Sony TV has, min. the saturation option would be nice here. Thx.

I'm sure your TV tbh has a much better HDR dimming alogirthm than these new-gen PC monitors.

The truth is that TV's just seem to have much better handled tech for dealing with HDR, maybe because the viewing distance is bigger.

I imagine its really hard to make tiny lights in a FALD setup for such small monitors. Easier for a 65 inch TV maybe?

Soldato
I can't help much @aoaaron but maybe a little (I don't have a nV card at present).

2 - Doesn't bother me, tried it on the 1080p version when I used to have a 1080Ti and was fine (this is highly subjective though)
3 - Haven't seen any flickering so far using the 'Ultimate Engine' setting but I do gather if you do see some flickering then the 'Standard' Freesync setting helps with this (although you're limited to 70-120 range)
4 - Will check scaling
6 - Had an AW34 briefly and thought it was pretty awesome, trouble is it arrived with some v slight screen damage that I wasn't happy with so the seller refunded me.

The AW is v v good, hard to say if this is worth £500+ more when s/h values are taken into account tbh. Tough one.

Thanks for your help and advice man!

I tried one in store again and it’s just so much better than other 21:9 screens I’ve used that it’s annoying.

Associate
Read on another thread that you can't alter the overdrive settings if you have freesync enabled. Is this still true or has it been fixed in a recent firmware update?

Is this the same for all freesync monitors?

Trying hard to find a reason not to get this. Did the old cut out some paper to the same size to judge how it would look in situ. My daughter burst out laughing when she saw it.

Back
Top Bottom