What did you do to your bike today?

Soldato
Good on you Draegner, are you also a fire fighter?

I did 2 track days this weekend and my mate fell off right at the end of the day. It's his first fall in 20 years of riding but he took it well.

Yes m8. I'm in the bottom photo on the right. Watch Commander and local lead instructor for the courses. This is our second year running them and they have been received in a hugely positive manner. It also promotes partnership working between all collaborative blue light services. :cool:

Soldato
I popped down to Fowlers in Bristol today to look at and sit on some bikes....so many shiny things!

Really quite tempted by the 2019 CB650R with a couple of options...however I suspect insurance will be horrific in my area so might have to get something cheap and nasty. :(

Soldato
Where I live it completely crap for riding :(:mad: but at least the insurance is cheap (£174 for my MT10 sp )
I did some quotes...£1200ish was the best quote I got...not bad really I guess considering it's a for a brand new bike in my area and 0 NCD / experience on bikes and with having had my license since Jan last year.

However a ~£2k 10 year old bike is under £600 to insure so I think, sensibly, I should get an older bike for a year to build up experience, NCD and also move to somewhere nicer (that's being planned anyway :p ).

Whatever I get will be my first bike and used for commuting and various trips throughout the year, so the sensible option is an older bike...I just like the shiny new ones!

Also I realise this is probably the wrong thread, 'chat' thread is probably more apt. :D

Soldato
Had a new tyre fitted to my MT10, last one was a S21 Bridgestone, had no problems with it, so moved onto the new generation S22.

Great choice. If I were to say anything... get the S22 on the front too. I had S22's in April on my road bike (ZX6R) and they feel better than any track-biased tyre ever did on my track bike. The feedback and out-right grip off the front is phenomenal, especially at large lean angles. My only criticism is that they're that good that it can encourage you to ride those corners a little bit faster than you ever have on the road before...

In the end I had to take my road bike on it's first ever track day at Anglesey. I dropped 4 seconds off my PB on my track bike (a GSXR750) and by the end of the day was sliding the bike on corner exit predictably - something I'd never dreamt of before.

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=f0aa18cd5376297e6d6f01a99593c34b&oe=5DF1A9F2

Associate
Post-crash rebuild complete. Rearsets, new can, replacement bars, clock mounts, levers, tail tidy, flyscreen and various other bits and pieces. And while I was in there, I installed a second, hidden tracker unit. A few scratches and a small dent in the tank remain, but it's a commuter so it's fine. Total budget so far- under £300!

Next, a s/h ZX-6 shock will be going in, then it'll be booked into Steve Jordan for a Woolich remap with quickshifter/blipper. And I'll still have a fair amount left over from the payout. Win!

Feels great to be back on it, the loan bike (NC750X) was pleasant enough, but dull. New (£40!) can sounds superb....

20190921-183802.jpg

Associate
Cheers buddy, they are great fun, but test ride one before you buy as they're not for everyone. They're very.... raw is the best word I can think of. My S1000RR is a way more relaxing and pleasant bike to ride, especially over distance despite being way more powerful, which might seem counterintuitive. The MT is always ON IT if you know what I mean!

Associate
Great choice. If I were to say anything... get the S22 on the front too. I had S22's in April on my road bike (ZX6R) and they feel better than any track-biased tyre ever did on my track bike. The feedback and out-right grip off the front is phenomenal, especially at large lean angles. My only criticism is that they're that good that it can encourage you to ride those corners a little bit faster than you ever have on the road before...

In the end I had to take my road bike on it's first ever track day at Anglesey. I dropped 4 seconds off my PB on my track bike (a GSXR750) and by the end of the day was sliding the bike on corner exit predictably - something I'd never dreamt of before.

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=f0aa18cd5376297e6d6f01a99593c34b&oe=5DF1A9F2

Thanks for the feedback, i've done a few hundred on these tyres now, but not in any 'warm' conditions, so probably next year before i find out just how good they are. I found the s21's were quite good to be honest, never gave any real concern. We just need some good weather to get out more, but it's that time of year whgen the rain keeps falling.

Great photo by the way. :)

Soldato
What did you do to your bike today?
Was hoping to take it out for quick ride

Went outside took the cover off it and started it up and ran it for 5 minutes to warm her up
But it looked like it was going too rain again so I turned her off and put the cover back on :(:mad:

And Yes it started raining about 10minutes later

Soldato
Had to do a few things in prep for some winter riding.

I noticed the clutch cable looked like it had started to fray, so ordered a Triumph replacement, and when I took it apart, it'd actually frayed significantly. I think it was the original cable from new (the bike is 2001), so it's had a bloody long life.

Got a local mobile chap to put 2 new tyres on, and picked Michelin Road 5s as I'd heard good things, plus I know I'm going to be doing the winter miles this year, so decided to splurge. I've never put new tyres on this bike up to now, and as it turns out, the new tyres were rubbing against my rear hugger.

Took the rear hugger off, and after some counting, it turns out that the chain is 2 links shorter than it should be, resulting in the wheel being much farther forward on the adjusters than it should be. The hugger's off in the meantime, until I need a new chain & sprockets, when I'll order the correct length chain, and will re-add the hugger. The inside of the hugger is full of scrape marks that look like the previous owner was happy to just let his rear tyre rub a hole in the hugger until it was no longer a problem. :eek:

Had a look at the coolant reservoir, and realised there was a ring of rust around it, so flushed the coolant with 10L of distilled water and re-added fresh coolant. The resulting bike temperature is exactly the same, but another little job out of the way.

Can now feel a slight clunk when pulling away, and another thing we noticed when the rear wheel came off was that the drive cush rubbers are knackered, so that'll be the next thing to sort, and it's overdue a valve clearance check...

Back
Top Bottom