Equality (but only when it suits)

Soldato
How would they know then? Especially in the 90's, what if you didn't watch TV? How would you know?

They informed her personally by letter the second time around though...

There was a tv advert, there were many bits in newspapers and most unions at the time were telling people.

Like I said if your so dependant on a state pension, you should take a fleeting interest in the news

Soldato
There was a tv advert, there were many bits in newspapers and most unions at the time were telling people.

Like I said if your so dependant on a state pension, you should take a fleeting interest in the news

It just seems odd that there are so many women who did not know. Why not just send everyone a letter? Not everyone watches the news, or is a member of a union or reads the newspaper, but most folk have an address.

Not sure what to make of your second comment really, I'll ask my mum what she thinks about it and get back to you with her answer.

Soldato
How would they know then? Especially in the 90's, what if you didn't watch TV? How would you know?

They informed her personally by letter the second time around though...
Unlucky for her, but it was really well publicised at the time! My mum was pleased because she was going to make the cut off point and be able to retire at 60. It's the kind of thing that most people would have usually heard about from general conversations even if they didn't watch TV or read newspapers.

Soldato
Unlucky for her, but it was really well publicised at the time! My mum was pleased because she was going to make the cut off point and be able to retire at 60. It's the kind of thing that most people would have usually heard about from general conversations even if they didn't watch TV or read newspapers.
That is what I would have thought also, but it seems there are a lot of women who did not know, and it wasn't talked about then quickly forgotten. Just seems odd, I understand why those women are so angry about it now.... my mum has raged about it for years after she got told the second time around... if she had of known from the first time around I think she would have been a lot less angry by now lol.

Man of Honour
Like I said earlier, my wife would have retired in August but now the Government have given her the chance to earn at least another £72,000 over the next 6 years.

We worked out that if she had retired she would be £230 worse of a week but since she has now got to work we can now afford shiny things.

Man of Honour
It should have been an age tapered change but aside from that was correct in principle.

It was an age tapered change.

It also wasn't only for women. For example, my retirement age was increased from 65 to 67.

I don't have any sympathy for people who are angry about being given 25 years notice that their clear and simple privilege solely for being the "right" sex is going to be removed and they're going to have to work as long as people of the "wrong" sex.

Soldato
Men's pension age as slowly increased too.

I don't think it can be considered discrimination based on gender when the female pension age is only catching up to where men are. If women are working a full time job like men then its only natural the pension age will eventually reflect this.

Here is a pdf file showing how its all done;

https://assets.publishing.service.g...attachment_data/file/310231/spa-timetable.pdf

Soldato
It was an age tapered change.

It also wasn't only for women. For example, my retirement age was increased from 65 to 67.

I don't have any sympathy for people who are angry about being given 25 years notice that their clear and simple privilege solely for being the "right" sex is going to be removed and they're going to have to work as long as people of the "wrong" sex.
But if I am born in April 54, with one year of age I am retiring 3.5 years later, that's not really a taper is it?

Man of Honour
But if I am born in April 54, with one year of age I am retiring 3.5 years later, that's not really a taper is it?

It was 2 years for me. By a couple of months, not even a year. But I can't complain because I'm not the "right" sex. To hell with that. I don't care how fashionable irrational discrimination is. I don't like it.

You could argue that the taper wasn't granular enough, but (a) that's a minor detail and (b) it isn't sexism.

Soldato
Been talking to my mum about this, I find it hard to believe that she never knew about it back in the 90's... but she swears she did not, she is angry that people were not told individually. I don't know if this is true or not, but she says she was never told individually in person or by letter that it was going to change.

I find this very hard to believe. It’s more likely people did know about it but put it to the back of their minds because it was 25 years away as they have more pressing things to think about and over time they completely forgot about it.

Soldato
They just lost, so i'm sure that will give you a big smile

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49917315
It sucks and I totally feel for those affected..... But at the end of the day the system has been totally unfair for the longest of times and it should have been balanced up years ago. Of course the ideal would be to lower men's retirement age a few years at the same time as increasing women.... But with pensions already in dire straits this was never going to happen.

Don't forget women on average still live longer than men so in a way men were getting double spanked.

There can be no happy ending on this but ultimately having the age the same is the only fair way. Probably should have been announced 10 years earlier than it was however. That said I have been aware of it for a good while

I am fully expecting my state pension to be 70 by the time I get there and worse than that I have an inkling it will be means tested by then as well...... Ultimately meaning my years of paying in will be for nowt.

Man of Honour
You can carry on working after receiving state pension, you’ll also pay less tax for the privilege on top of getting the extra money from the pension.

Many years ago, well in fact at least 1996, you had to retire.
My Mum reached 60 and because of money problems she asked if she could stay on for a few years more but she wasn't allowed.
She ended up working as a barmaid in two pubs to make ends meet.
Nowadays if you're fit and healthy you can ask to stay on.

Soldato
That hasn’t been the case for years and would actually call foul of other legislation like the equalities act.

You’ve also got that a bit wrong, you don’t ‘ask to stay on’. It’s 100% your choice to retire or not, the employer has no say (there may be the odd exception like in the Army but not for normal employment).

They can of course fire you if your not fit to do the role but that’s another conversation.

Back
Top Bottom