• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
AMD is allegedly preparing a next generation GPU code named Navi 23 that's internally referred to as the 'NVIDIA Killer' and it's due to come out next year. We've heard whispers about this Navi 23 GPU in the techsphere as early as back in August of this year, but we've only gotten confirmation that it actually exists about a week ago when it crept up in a Linux code dump.

AMD Navi 23 'NVIDIA Killer' GPU First to Support Hardware Ray Tracing
Thanks to a recent Linux driver we know that Navi 23 is only one of three different GPUs that AMD is building on TSMC's 7nm+ process node and the RDNA2 gaming graphics microarchitecture, the others being Navi 21 and Navi 22.

However, according to this particular source, only Navi 23 is being referred to internally as the "NVIDIA Killer". That's because Navi 23 is said to be the big Navi GPU that's going to take the competition to NVIDIA in the high-end segment where the RTX 2080 and RTX 2080 Ti currently sit uncontested.

I'd urge caution here though, as this is just a rumor and should be taken with a grain of salt. Companies usually don't refer to one of their products as the competition killer, and on the rare occasion that they do it's often a hit and miss. Big Navi is definitely set to compete and add value to the high-end graphics market but don't expect it to "kill" anything, not yet at least. It's just too early to tell how competitive this GPU is going to be. Especially with NVIDIA's Ampere around the corner, which looks to bring quite a sizable generational leap from Turing.

https://wccftech.com/amd-navi-23-nv...upport-hardware-ray-tracing-coming-next-year/

NVidia killer? Sounds good to me and with RT :)

Pinch of salt because of the source lol

Permabanned
Last edited:
Permabanned
"Especially with NVIDIA's Ampere around the corner" - https://wccftech.com/amd-navi-23-nv...upport-hardware-ray-tracing-coming-next-year/

"The whole situation with Ampere isn't clear but don't expect the launch any time soon." - https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-super-q1-2020-launch-rumor/

? ?

lol, the first article has been written by Khalid Moammer, the second by Hassan Mujtaba, maybe they don't talk to each other :D :D

I thought it was one person with two individualities.

The usual WCCF fluff where they cover every base.

Soldato
It'll be a NV 20 series killer...….which by then will be 2 years old and soon to be superseded :).
Expecting AMD to excel in both CPU and gaming GPU segments is a very high expectation.

Caporegime
'Poor Volta' anyone? Navi has the capability but I'll believe it when I see it :)

Plus it'll more than likely be fighting Ampere not the fairly poor Turing.

Caporegime
nicolas-cage-laughing-gif-imgur-7.gif

Permabanned
AMD must stop with their ridiculous attitude towards CrossFire and release a dual Navi 10 card, RX 5700 X2 which should completely destroy RTX 2080 Ti.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Lol :D

Which movie was that from? Snake Eyes? I watched that movie at the Cinema back in the day :)

AMD must stop with their ridiculous attitude towards CrossFire and release a dual Navi 10 card, RX 5700 X2 which should completely destroy RTX 2080 Ti.

The only one being ridiculous here is you man. If they have no driver support for it, why would they release it, for people who enjoy benchmarks? As it won’t be any good for gaming...

Soldato
Highly unlikely unless they find some other way of "crossfiring" than just traditional way. It has to work without game devs optimizing for it. I wouldn't mind it though if it were to happen.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Highly unlikely unless they find some other way of "crossfiring" than just traditional way. It has to work without game devs optimizing for it. I wouldn't mind it though if it were to happen.
Not interested at all if it will be like before. Never ready on a games launch and in many games not working at all. I had a 295x2 and as nice as it was when it worked, when new games started coming out like Witcher 3 there was no support for a very long time.

Permabanned
The only one being ridiculous here is you man. If they have no driver support for it, why would they release it, for people who enjoy benchmarks? As it won’t be any good for gaming...

It is much cheaper and easier to develop proper multi GPU DX12 explicit support, than it is to design and develop transistors on silicon to give the same or comparable performance increase :D

There is the thing called
Explicit DirectX12 Multi GPU rendering
https://gpuopen.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/GDC2017-Explicit-DirectX-12-Multi-GPU-Rendering.pdf

Explicit-DX12-Support.png

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
It is much cheaper and easier to develop proper multi GPU DX12 explicit support, than it is to design and develop transistors on silicon to give the same or comparable performance increase :D

There is the thing called
Explicit DirectX12 Multi GPU rendering
https://gpuopen.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/GDC2017-Explicit-DirectX-12-Multi-GPU-Rendering.pdf

Explicit-DX12-Support.png
No good any of that until we see results. It is all too easy giving nvidia hard time about their ****** RT performance so far, but this is even worse. Lol.

Soldato
Agreed, mGPU is the future. But it's gonna be years until some proper adoption happens. As for "Nvidia killers", I'm not holding my breath. It's been clear for years now that the best thing you can do if you want high-end performance is to just buy Nvidia's offering on launch day and grit your teeth for what it costs. AMD's not gonna compete, and certainly not in the same timeframe. Hell, even these rumoured new cards are going to do what? Tie the 2080ti 2-3 years later? Meh. And it's not gonna be all that cheaper anyway.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Agreed, mGPU is the future. But it's gonna be years until some proper adoption happens. As for "Nvidia killers", I'm not holding my breath. It's been clear for years now that the best thing you can do if you want high-end performance is to just buy Nvidia's offering on launch day and grit your teeth for what it costs. AMD's not gonna compete, and certainly not in the same timeframe. Hell, even these rumoured new cards are going to do what? Tie the 2080ti 2-3 years later? Meh. And it's not gonna be all that cheaper anyway.
Until it is in consoles and games are developed for it, then it will not happen. Basically not any time soon. The future you are talking about is a very distant future..

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Permabanned

There will be no other way in the future for extracting more performance than to use multiple chips, either on a single substrate, single PCB, or in parallel cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom