Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
I had a running epiphany in the rain when I was training for the last marathon I did.

I think there was a bit of light drizzle, so I went out in shorts / t-shirt / hat for 8 miles. About half way round, the heavens opened and I got properly soaked to the point I was wringing out my t-shirt as I ran. However, I felt like I was absolutely flying along. I knew I was working hard but it felt amazing, consistently banging out a pace I don't think I'd ever run at before.

Associate
I think that will be the cooling that's going on :)

I had one run that I had to cut short due the sheer volume of water that was falling. Over the course of 500M it went from "Maybe it will rain" to "The animals went in two by two..."! Glasses got so wet I couldn't see and it was like running in a river.

Soldato
Same thing.
I’m obviously just a proper Northerner who goes out whatever the weather.

Went out on Monday and you could hear the rain bouncing off the skylights as I was doing up my laces.

Do agree about glasses though. That did my head in. Had my eyes lasered yesterday so hopefully won’t have to deal with that again!

Associate
My eyes are just getting worse as I get older. I didn't need any until I was in my 40s

I am told they will find a point and stop, but I don't yet believe that. If it does, then I might go for laser treatment, but we shall have to see.

Associate
Anyone know of any (free prefered) online gait analysis resources? I will gladly supply footage etc, but I am still torn about going into a running shop and not being able to buy anything after getting checked out.

Associate
I know exactly what you mean. I always struggle with the price of some of the trainers and how often they recommend replacement. I normally end up using old ones for dog walking, cycling and camping for as long as I can before getting rid.

Soldato
Anyone know of any (free prefered) online gait analysis resources? I will gladly supply footage etc, but I am still torn about going into a running shop and not being able to buy anything after getting checked out.

Could also try the Brooks website. They have a "Shoe Selector" questions session, although that's still only going to be suggesting trainers that are current.

Most people will be fine with a neutral trainer. You might be best just going to Sports Direct and finding a cheap pair you find that fit you. Having something that fits well and is comfy is probably the main thing. Especially if you're so constrained by budget.

Also maybe try Decathlon, they're own brand seems to get decent reviews.

EDIT - Also maybe try ebay? You could probably get some nearly new ones for a huge saving.

Last edited:
Associate
Could also try the Brooks website. They have a "Shoe Selector" questions session, although that's still only going to be suggesting trainers that are current.

Most people will be fine with a neutral trainer. You might be best just going to Sports Direct and finding a cheap pair you find that fit you. Having something that fits well and is comfy is probably the main thing. Especially if you're so constrained by budget.

Also maybe try Decathlon, they're own brand seems to get decent reviews.

EDIT - Also maybe try ebay? You could probably get some nearly new ones for a huge saving.

I have a credit note for Sports Direct but the problem is that they don't stock a decent selection in my local store. I managed to get the Skechers I bought refunded so I am stuck with them. If the items on the website and not in store, I won't be able to try them on.

Thanks for the Decathalon recommendation, I never heard of them before and theres one in Tamworth I might visit for shorts etc. Seems really good value!

I've been looking at RunRepeat for reviews on stability shoes (ankles like sausage rolls), but I will have a look at brookes.

Associate
parkrun no. 282 today and I recorded a best time at my home parkrun of 20:59, really happy to have broken the 21 minute barrier before I move up to the 50-54 age group next month.

Associate
parkrun no. 282 today and I recorded a best time at my home parkrun of 20:59, really happy to have broken the 21 minute barrier before I move up to the 50-54 age group next month.
Wow that's quality. Congrats, I am sure you can do even better. Do you think there is much left on the table after getting that time?

Associate
Wow that's quality. Congrats, I am sure you can do even better. Do you think there is much left on the table after getting that time?

Thank you I've worked hard with training and some weight loss the last few months to achieve it.

No there is not much left that I can do to get any quicker, maybe lose a bit more weight and target some track/speed work maybe. Even with that I doubt I'll be able to break Sub 20 now but running under 21 Minutes round my home parkrun was a big milestone that took 5 1/2 years to achieve from my first ever parkrun of 31:34

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Bashed out another 17.8K this weekend, not quick 2hrs but was sticking zone 2 for the entire duration and felt pretty good, slight hip twinge at 12k but went away, and left started hurting around 15-16 and was still sore a couple of hrs later fine now though, the biggest soreness was my nipples and toes. The toes were sore for a good 6-7 hrs.

All in all pretty happy considering it was only early June i started running.

Soldato
Managed my run.

have decided I need to try and do more “quality” runs rather than just going and running at a comfortable pace everytime and never really improving.

Decided to run a bit quicker tonight given it was downhill and managed to get a Strava 5k PB at around 26 minutes. Kept my HR quite high too.

Tomorrow’s run back from the car is all back uphill so might try and push myself a little more there too rather than cruising.

Soldato
Anyone on here use a footpod for running power? Trying to help my missus out as I use power religiously for cycling but since we've moved its quite hilly and she's struggling with pacing.

She has a fenix 5s so has the option for the garmin pod, thinking it'd help her ensure she's getting the workout she needs no matter the incline or weather.

Soldato
I'm not sure i'd bother. I've never felt "power" is as important with running as it is with cycling. I think she'd be better off using HR zones and focusing her training on those.

Definitely wouldn't have ran this morning if i hadn't left my car last night. Although increasing my speed definitely had a knock on effect and my legs felt a little dead. Lots of walking up hills ensued and i'm surprised my time was 10:48/mile as i'd expected closer to 12:00.

Back
Top Bottom