Kids Today & Tech

Soldato
Chap over the road thinks the same so he tries to involve his 14 yr old lad on things he does- to be honest he is flogging a dead horse - All the kid is interested in is his phone and football - he says go get me the double ended spanner and he comes back with a screwdriver.
Have to say daughter number two is quite clued up though but even she roll's her eyes and slouches when he asks for help on something.
Glad I don't have these problems - it's bad enough with the wife.

Associate
It comes down to being curious. Some people are more curious than others and it's a hard thing to teach somebody to be curious, they either are or they arn't.

If a random question pops into my head, I won't rest until I've found out the answer/googled it. Lots of people though just seem to think the question then simply arn't bothered about finding out the answer.

I don't believe that somebody needs to be taught how to fix something to do it, they just need to be curious enough to go to the effort to figure it out. Nobody has ever taught me how to fix a car for example but I've done plenty of quite involved jobs on my car after researching how to first.

Nowadays, there are a lot of people that can't or won't even change a bulb on their car. They seem happy paying Halfords a chunk of cash to just do it for them.

Soldato
This boils my **** how useless kids are, specifically mine. I mean, they can work apps, no ****, but anything more than that and it's like I've asked them to reprogram the ******* space shuttle.

I think the problem is, they've never had to take **** apart to get it to work again, or they won't have a working *insert whatever thing it is* as they just go "doesn't work, need a new one".

They come to me to fix stuff, or even simple stuff. It's driving me mad! They're supposed to be tech generation I'm sure of it, but christ, they're useless.
I'm not old, I'm 33 and 4/5th and these kids are 11 and 15 and while the 15yr old is actually getting better at things like after effects and prem pro (he talks to me like I'm an utter spaz and haven't been around since before this **** was normal) he still wouldn't have a clue about his machine.
I gave him one of mine, as I built it for my wife but she never used it and it was overheating (1700X, 32GB RAM, 500GB m2 drive etc.) and I was like well fix it then... he just didn't know where to start so did nothing, and I ended up doing it. (think it was a dodgy fitting on the cooler pump in the end, replaced it and was fine) I know that's probably hard for him to solve, but we just took stuff apart when I was his age. When did that stop?

You'll probably just say it's my spazzy kids, which would be fair. I'm putting all my eggs in my 5yr old who is already a boss, so maybe there is hope.

Your attitude towards your children is shocking. I would never be like that to my child

Last edited:
Soldato
How did the OP know that and fix it? It's exactly the same.
Hes 33 and has over 10k posts on a computer enthusiasts forum. He has also built PC's and so forth so he knows exactly where to start if there was a cooling issue (he knew it had a cooling issue before he handed it over also it seems)

How would a 15yr old who is being given a PC by his dad know what to do? I guess its best he just took the side panel off and started taking it apart potentially causing more damage just in the sake of 'learning'.

Permabanned
No actually I do not need glasses (20/16 here), this generation is worse than any before and imagine if they had to grow up in 60-70's with no central heating and a bath once per week for school (washed in sink rest of week) or god forbid the WW2 days like some of our parents.

Associate
Hes 33 and has over 10k posts on a computer enthusiasts forum. He has also built PC's and so forth so he knows exactly where to start if there was a cooling issue (he knew it had a cooling issue before he handed it over also it seems)

How would a 15yr old who is being given a PC by his dad know what to do? I guess its best he just took the side panel off and started taking it apart potentially causing more damage just in the sake of 'learning'.

Maybe he could have got on the internet and researched what the issue could be. Possibly even found his way to OcUK and asked the question. He could have taken the side off and had a look if anything was obviously wrong without doing anything that would obviously damage the computer. He could have spoken to his dad and see if his dad had any suggestions of what the issue could be and then researched the fix. What he actaully did was nothing at all.

Associate
I regularly get statements rather than questions at work. "My mouse isn't working". Quite often I just go "Okay" and watch the utter confusion come across their faces when I don't immediately get up to help. A little politeness goes a long way.

Soldato
I'm 33 and 4/5th

Why has GD allowed you to get away with expressing your age like that? Are you saying you're 33 and four fifths? It's that really what you just said in that post?

Also, if your lad had actually attempted to fix the PC with no experience and no help from you, this thread would have opened up with...

"My Spazzy wean just ****** up the water cooled PC I built him, he's such a total mouth breather I just had to clean some flies off his front teeth..."

Caporegime
My 20 month old toddler granddaughter can unlock an iPhone, browse YouTube videos for the particular Pepper Pig episode she wants, find Pepper Pig on Sky, the difference between her and her mother at comparable ages is stark and startling!

Fear not OP, the future is brighter than you think.....

Soldato
My 20 month old toddler granddaughter can unlock an iPhone, browse YouTube videos for the particular Pepper Pig episode she wants, find Pepper Pig on Sky, the difference between her and her mother at comparable ages is stark and startling!

Fear not OP, the future is brighter than you think.....

Lol @ "Pepper Pig"

That's made me laugh more than it should. :p

Soldato
I don't think the younger generations appreciate the hardware tech like we used to back in the day. But I think a lot of that was because we had a lot of time on our hands.

I don't think recent generations are as creative as previous generations when it comes to computer stuff. We see the results in the games we get to play these days, most of them are boring or repeat versions of previous games.

Back
Top Bottom