When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
I love the Up! And obviously the extended range is excellent, but I just can't help VW could have done more with the e-Up, give it a bit of a facelift, update the infotainment, The car is effectively 7 years old now.

Soldato
Good news (I think) for the South West with 120 new or replacement points to be built in 2020: https://travelwest.info/drive/elect...-vehicle-charging-network-launches-in-bristol

Six 50kW chargers installed in the north of the city but seems quite expensive at £1 + 30p/kWh.

My residential road, the two adjacentroads, the main road connecting them all and the supermarket down the road are all under investigation which is good.

Soldato
This looked interesting, i'd love an electric estate car!
yes, could be the resurgence of the estate in terms of range versus their SUV counterparts .. will this have the same nose/aerodynamics as the ID 3 ?

re: charging network
as yet there is no UK equivalent of the Ford/VAG setup ? will those be exclusive, or give better rates to Ford/VAG vehicles, at all, like the Tesla ones .. could be an interesting lock in strategy.
The network of charging stations will be the largest in North America with 12,000 locations and more than 35,000 charge plugs, Ford said.
The No. 2 U.S. carmaker has laid out plans to invest more than $11 billion in electric vehicles and is targeting majority of its sales from them by 2022.
The network will give Ford car owners access to fast charging station sites that will be set up by Volkswagen’s Electrify America.

whilst not EV, thought the new tv Juke advert epitomised the green issue - Google assistant intergration ... is that really the only headline/takeaway

Caporegime
Presumably Ford will partner with Ionity in Europe as VAG are one of the companies behind it.

The 12,000 charging points is because EA have partnered with several other large charging networks, so you don’t need to sign up to each individually. Perhaps Ionity will do this soon too?

Associate
Fully electric is still years off, I work in the energy industry and the complications with the electric grid and existing networks is a major blocker in creating a fully compliant network.

Still lots of work to be done on that side and for the manufacturers to increase battery life and fast charger points. The other big issue is being able to standardize the charge cables. So far we've identified 52 different charge heads for UK spec cars already.

Soldato
The other big issue is being able to standardize the charge cables. So far we've identified 52 different charge heads for UK spec cars already.

What do you mean? There are 2 AC charging cable standards - type 1 (being phased out) and type 2. And two DC rapid charging cables - CCS and Chademo.

I’ve never failed to charge with my single trusty type 2 cable!

Caporegime
So that’s erm... interesting looking...!

On a more positive note, prices are unexpected, but after the Model 3 reveal I think I’ll wait until it’s actually available before believing the prices.

2022 is going to be an interesting year for the pickup market!

Interesting thing mentioned this morning, there are now more Ev charging points than there are petrol stations
Sure I know a lot will be private, they can only charge 1/2 cars at a time, and charging a car takes a lot longer than filling with ICE fuel (unless the store is packed with people who fill up then go shopping for 15 mins!)

Just thought it was interesting :)

Man of Honour
So that’s erm... interesting looking...!

On a more positive note, prices are unexpected, but after the Model 3 reveal I think I’ll wait until it’s actually available before believing the prices.

2022 is going to be an interesting year for the pickup market!

It looks horrendous - slightly different from the images I'd seen but not much. They need to go back to the drawing board - it might have had appeal 30 years ago but most people have grown up a bit since then.

Caporegime
I feel like the renders would look great on a kids bedroom wall, but the actual vehicle is certainly not a practical family/work pickup in its current form.

Perhaps the platform with a different shell would be pretty good, but as it’s a monocoque design they’ll have to essentially start from scratch?

Back
Top Bottom