theHunter: Call of the Wild

Soldato
Looks nice - I've been sucked in by Escape from Tarkov recently so everything else has gone on hold....

Time over Xmas - I'll take another look at COTW

Soldato
Been playing this game for a few years with no issues. In the last 24 hrs its crashed 4 times, luckily my kills, when its crashed, haven't been lost.

Associate
I bought the complete edition over xmas , never thought i would enjoy such a game but its great.
Without doubt my go to chill out game.

Soldato
I'm sure it's a better game than I'm giving it credit for, but as a "new" player there is virtually no "tutorial" other than a 1 minute "shoot gun" one. Then the game dumps you into the "world" and, without any further training, just says - Well, get on with it!

Basically the game as I have found it is just me walking around for the past 2 hours, seeing nothing, do nothing, being bored, going to the "explore" points, seeing nothing, doing nothing, pressing E on tracks which go nowhere, seeing nothing, doing nothing, walking to the next point - SEEING A BEAR - seeing a bear run away, walking to it's tracks, pressing E, spending 15 minutes following the tracks, seeing nothing doing nothing, walking around for another 30 minutes, getting more bored and frustrated - SEEING MOOSE AT 150M - SHOOTING AT THE MOOSE - watching the moose run away, can't find the moose or any blood trails so I don't know if I hit the moose, walking around, seeing nothing, doing nothing, repeat until I want to uninstall the damn game.

As I said, I'm sure there's a great game once you've got experience of the game mechanics, know what everything does, how best to track etc but for a new player I just spent a boring two hours learning nothing and getting frustrated at the complete lack of any information for new players. Even just a few basic tutorials like a rifle range so you can tell what your bullet drop is, a tracking school, a "what does everything do" lesson before you start would help.

PS I'm not expecting an Animal version of Call of Duty, but it would be nice to actually see an animal more than once per hour.

Associate
The game does reward experience and skill as theres so many small details that can make or break each hunt and every shot.
Wind direction
Visibility
Ammunition type
Weapon
Shot placement etc.
YouTube is a place to start and take it from there (presuming you haven't already)

Caporegime
OP
having played thehunter games for 12 years now to get the best from them you need to put in the time to learn those game mechanics you talk about. you can play casually just blasting stuff as well but the real gem is in learning how to play it.

if you struggling to get decent animals find need zones or drinking times for each animal then visit water.

tents at key locations also save many hrs of just roaming around. you can kill animals quickly and easy. real trophy animals are rare though. for eg i spent hrs every day for 2 months to get a diamond trurack mule deer.

the funny thing is many people when new do struggle and think there isnt many animals there is actually thousands on each reserve. so its really clever how the game works and makes you think there is nothing. i would watch some video guides and get to know the game better. it is really good once you get to grips with it.

here is a image of the animals on the reserves and data to help.

https://postimg.cc/kVvMYsk2

Soldato
I must have nearly 200 hours in now but I do recall struggling at the start to find animals etc.

Like DG I have tents positioned everywhere and if I want some quick kills I just cycle between my fave locations, animals will spawn around you but you have to stay still and be quiet etc.

I often hear people compare the hunting in this to that of RDR2, which is a joke. I love RRDR2 but it’s like walking through a zoo with animals that dont spook until your right upon them.

Back
Top Bottom