PSU Problem?

Associate
Hi,

I got a build from OCUK in Dec 18 nothing fancy just enough to get the job done.

FS-1AQ-OG OcUK Gaming Citizen Gaming PC - AMD Ryzen 5 2600, RX 590

8GB Graphics

CA-029-KK Kolink KL-600 SI-Edition 600W 80 Plus Bronze Power Supply - Fully Sleeved Cables 1
CA-036-KK Kolink Stronghold Midi Tower Gaming Case - Black Tempered Glass Side Window 1
CM-023-PT Phanteks RGB LED Strip Starter Kit (PH-LEDKT_CMBO) 1
CP-3AQ-AM AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six Core/Twelve Thread 3.9GHz Processor (MPK) 1
GX-41X-AS Asus Radeon RX VEGA 56 ROG Strix OC 8GB HBM2 PCI-Express Graphics Card 1
HD-004-TG TeamGroup 240GB L5 Lite SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 3D NAND Solid State Drive 1
HD-3A6-SE Seagate 2TB BarraCuda 7200RPM 256MB Cache HDD *System Stock* 1
MB-574-GI Gigabyte B450 AORUS ELITE (Socket AM4) DDR4 ATX Motherbaord 1
MY-087-TG Team Group Vulcan T-Force 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C16 3000MHz Dual Channel

My problem is i have recently moved in with family for a short time and my PC seems to be destroying the credit on the electricity meter at 1-2 pound a hour!! never had this problem before I have it running on a reader at the moment when off its about 4 watts idle its pulling around 60 watts when gaming around 100-160 watts I have everything on low power mode and energy saving. where they live its 19p kWh.

I am really not sure whats going on is my psu faulty and pulling to much power or something?

Associate
Hi,

I got a build from OCUK in Dec 18 nothing fancy just enough to get the job done.

8GB Graphics

CA-029-KK Kolink KL-600 SI-Edition 600W 80 Plus Bronze Power Supply - Fully Sleeved Cables 1
CA-036-KK Kolink Stronghold Midi Tower Gaming Case - Black Tempered Glass Side Window 1
GX-41X-AS Asus Radeon RX VEGA 56 ROG Strix OC 8GB HBM2 PCI-Express Graphics Card 1
HD-004-TG TeamGroup 240GB L5 Lite SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 3D NAND Solid State Drive 1
MY-087-TG Team Group Vulcan T-Force 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C16 3000MHz Dual Channel

My problem is i have recently moved in with family for a short time and my PC seems to be destroying the credit on the electricity meter at 1-2 pound a hour!! never had this problem before I have it running on a reader at the moment when off its about 4 watts idle its pulling around 60 watts when gaming around 100-160 watts I have everything on low power mode and energy saving. where they live its 19p kWh.

I am really not sure whats going on.

Someone has either rigged there way into your power or there's something else in the house using it.

I have a higher spec PC with a 550w PSU (my set up pulls more power than yours and could ideally do with a bigger PSU) and a full day of gaming uses about 40p.

Associate
OP
Someone has either rigged there way into your power or there's something else in the house using it.

I have a higher spec PC with a 550w PSU (my set up pulls more power than yours and could ideally do with a bigger PSU) and a full day of gaming uses about 40p.
Thanks for the response I need to look into it more as this is crazy. its hard trying to explain to people who have no clue about pcs that its not your pc using it all but of course all they see is a big box and blame it.

Soldato
I'm pretty much sure it's impossible for that rig to draw £1-2 worth of electricity per hour.

Either there's something else going on (faulty meter maybe?) or your family are trying to get money out of you.

Soldato
Hi,

8GB Graphics

I am really not sure whats going on is my psu faulty and pulling to much power or something?
At 160w you would be looking at around 19p every 6hours.

Soldato
You sure that's only drawing 100w~160w when gaming?
That doesn't sound right with that cpu and gpu
On a side note
Whoever painted the walls?
Drives me crazy when people paint the socket instead of cutting in around them lol

Associate
OP
You sure that's only drawing 100w~160w when gaming?
That doesn't sound right with that cpu and gpu
On a side note
Whoever painted the walls?
Drives me crazy when people paint the socket instead of cutting in around them lol
I have energy saving mode on in windows and my gfx is on slient mode both kill my fps down around 40 - 50fps i'll run a game now and double check.

Soldato
Assuming the reader is correct
Plug pc into different sockets
Still the same?
Plug something power hungry~heater, kettle etc
In the reader and same socket the pc is in
What does the reader say?
Am also assuming you are going by the electricity meter reading?
Not just the plug in reader?

Associate
OP
If it's a pre~pay meter
They make you pay higher kwh
Which is rather unfair
Since if you have a prepay meter you may be on a lower income
The majority of homes in Northern Ireland are on a pre paid meter where i am staying atm its 19.46 kWr but its not my home so i can't change it. not to mention here in NI there are like 5 providers where in mainland there are many.

Associate
The majority of homes in Northern Ireland are on a pre paid meter where i am staying atm its 19.46 kWr but its not my home so i can't change it. not to mention here in NI there are like 5 providers where in mainland there are many.
What I meant is the price which was inserted, as 19.00 should be 00.19, at least it's how I used here with mine, which is the same model.
If your PC uses 200w, for example, from the wall, not estimated, in 5 hours you'll be using 1kw.

Associate
OP
What I meant is the price which was inserted, as 19.00 should be 00.19, at least it's how I used here with mine, which is the same model.
If your PC uses 200w, for example, from the wall, not estimated, in 5 hours you'll be using 1kw.
i tired it like that and was told it was wrong. there are no markings on mine can you tell me the make and model?

Soldato
Are you comparing what the meter says to the plug in reader?
Ie when the reader says used 19p does the meter lose 19p
Assuming it's a digital meter that shows your balance

Private lets etc can be slot/card meters (I can see the reasoning why).
Yeah that's pretty standard practice
So the meters not in the landlords name
Though know some landlords with good tenants who have been there a lot of years who have let them change to a normal meter
As they can get a cheaper tariff then

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Seems to be this one, available from Amazon, but quite sure it's a generic so may be another brand, but exactly the same hardware.
Lowenergie Plug-in Energy Monitor

Associate
Get some cheap power meter like the ENERGENIE Energy Saving Power Meter.
It will show the power draw, it will record how much power was used and you can also set the cost.
It cost about 15 quid posted.

Edit: Did not check your video and did not noticed that you already got an energy monitor.

Is it possible to compare the reading from your energy meter to the house power meter.

UAXCltN.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom