Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Associate
The only transcoding taking place locally should be a remux or audio transcode if you follow the three C’s, also (and I hate to disappoint you twice in a row) modern AMD GPU’s and APU’s suck for hardware transcoding capabilities, ancient AMD GPU’s stand no chance.

Excellent!

Well the GFX card is doing what I want it to do (actually output a display that isn't pants) so all good :)

Soldato
Well, that looks very interesting with a few caveats.
How much are we going to be ripped-off for the ILO Enablement Kit which I certainly consider essential?
I would like to have seen two 2.5Gb/s, 5Gb/s or even 10Gb/s LAN ports rather than four 1Gb/s.
I'd also like to know what alternative CPUs are in Intel's stable. Are there any 35W variants that support ECC these days?
<Later> Yes, there is a G5420T so possibly others that are better too.

Last edited:
Don
Soldato
I need to downsize my server, the 10+ could be an option, not sure where the 4tb limit comes from, certainly an odd one these days..

Surely as every single previous generation has worked perfectly with all current gen drives, you understand the difference between HP certifying something works in one market segment and what actually works the real world? It's like the socketed CPU posts earlier, it's a CPU that was only available in a socketed form.

Soldato
Surely as every single previous generation has worked perfectly with all current gen drives, you understand the difference between HP certifying something works in one market segment and what actually works the real world? It's like the socketed CPU posts earlier, it's a CPU that was only available in a socketed form.

I understand how it works yes, my point was given the size of drives these days why only certify up to 4gb..

Don
Associate
I need to downsize my server, the 10+ could be an option, not sure where the 4tb limit comes from, certainly an odd one these days..

Possibly basing it on the drives they sell & support currently? With all the 14tb shucking going on it would be crazy not to work with them.
Code:
NOTE: The maximum storage indicated is aligned with the current HDD & SSD option list supported. Maximum internal storage
supported would change with the server’s option support plan.

Don
Possibly basing it on the drives they sell & support currently? With all the 14tb shucking going on it would be crazy not to work with them.
Code:
NOTE: The maximum storage indicated is aligned with the current HDD & SSD option list supported. Maximum internal storage
supported would change with the server’s option support plan.

It will likely work fine, much like the N36L Quickspecs says this:
Code:
Maximum Internal Storage Non-Hot Plug SATA 8TB (4 x 2TB) 3.5" SATA
And the Gen8 says:
Code:
Maximum Internal Storage Non-Hot Plug SATA 16TB (4 x 4TB) 3.5" SATA

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getdocument.aspx?docname=c04111672
https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getdocument.aspx?docname=c04123182

Soldato
I understand how it works yes, my point was given the size of drives these days why only certify up to 4gb..

As I said, market segmentation is a thing. Home users shucking drives are not part of HP’s target market, commercial enterprise that wants more than 4x4TB are pushed to a more capable server.

I'm disappointed by the storage limits: 4 TB per drive max really? I'm hoping that's the max they supply, not the max they support.

On Intel's website it's listed as embedded. Just because it has a socket doesn't mean that it can be removed from the socket.

No, that’s the random CPU you plucked from ARK for reasons only you seem to understand. We are discussing CPU’s that are actually compatible the product, they are clearly socketed and listed in ARK as such, the info posted makes all of that quite clear. Larger drives will work perfectly, the N36L will run the largest drives available and its ancient, so will every other generation of microserver.

Are you not familiar with the product line and it’s history or just reading something else/confused?

Soldato
No, that’s the random CPU you plucked from ARK for reasons only you seem to understand.

You mean like it appears to be compatible with the socket in the Gen 10 Plus? At a compatible TDP? That at 8 cores & 16 threads it's a signigficant upgrade? That it's the best of that series at that TDP?

Thank you for your spectacular display of ignorance.

Let me requote @Snapshot:

Yes, there is a G5420T so possibly others that are better too.

(Bolding mine.)

Don
Thank you for your spectacular display of ignorance.
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who misread your responses

You mean like it appears to be compatible with the socket in the Gen 10 Plus? At a compatible TDP? That at 8 cores & 16 threads it's a signigficant upgrade? That it's the best of that series at that TDP?
Even if it's the same socket and a compatible TDP there's still no guarantee the BIOS will have any support for it.

Back
Top Bottom