• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i9-9900KS vs i9-9900K

Associate
Hi,

Could anyone explain the difference between these CPUs for me? I believe the KS is just a CPU which is already overclocked whereas the K would need to be manually overclocked? If so would it not be better to save money and buy the K and just overclock it myself?

Thanks.

Soldato
Unless you really really need that extra single core speed I wouldn't bother. For KS money you're in 3950X territory, in fact you'd save a few quid and have an upgrade path.

If you insist I'd look for a second hand 9900K as CPU's rarely have issues and save even more. That platform really is a dead end now.

Associate
OP
Right, okay. I had actually been considering AMD as I’ve never had an AMD build before. How does the 3950X compare when it comes to gaming? For reference I’m also using a 2080TI and a 1440p 165Hz monitor.

You also mentioned an upgrade path - are the new AMD CPUs also going to be using the same architecture?

If I went with the 3950X what cooler would you recommend? I’ve heard they can get slightly hotter than the i9.

What would be your recommendation when it comes to RAM? I’ve seen that overclocking memory on AMD platforms can be a bit trickier than Intel platforms.

Finally, what motherboard would you recommend? I was going to go for the Gigabyte Aorus Master - should I just go for the AMD version of the Aorus Master?

Thanks for your help.

Soldato
Right, okay. I had actually been considering AMD as I’ve never had an AMD build before. How does the 3950X compare when it comes to gaming? For reference I’m also using a 2080TI and a 1440p 165Hz monitor.

You also mentioned an upgrade path - are the new AMD CPUs also going to be using the same architecture?

If I went with the 3950X what cooler would you recommend? I’ve heard they can get slightly hotter than the i9.

What would be your recommendation when it comes to RAM? I’ve seen that overclocking memory on AMD platforms can be a bit trickier than Intel platforms.

Finally, what motherboard would you recommend? I was going to go for the Gigabyte Aorus Master - should I just go for the AMD version of the Aorus Master?

Thanks for your help.

According to Techspot on average at 1080p with both platforms having tuned memory there was 4% in it in favour of the 9900KS. At 1440p I'm betting naff all difference.

The Aorus Master X570 is fantastic, new revision out shortly, really solid, regular BIOS updates, UK RMA.

RAM go for 3600MHZ out of the box ease of set up, either Samsung B die or Micron E die.

Cooling I'd go good quality AIO, 280 or 360mm.

AM4 will have the 4000 series available to drop in as far as we know. Higher IPC and a little more clock speed apparently.

Associate
There is very little in it between the top two chips as far as gaming goes.
With a overclocked 9900ks v's an overclocked and tweaked 3950 you might see 5% of so in favour of the intel chip in low res tests but nowt between them in others.
However for that 5% or so you have to pay for it with huge power use, lots of heat, crap security and a dead end platform - ohh and of course missing out of 8 additional cores and 16 threads from the 3950....

Meanwhile the 3950 utterly decimates the 9900ks in almost everything else, like hugely.
I have no idea why so many keep buying that 8 core..... its not that good.

Associate
OP
According to Techspot on average at 1080p with both platforms having tuned memory there was 4% in it in favour of the 9900KS. At 1440p I'm betting naff all difference.

The Aorus Master X570 is fantastic, new revision out shortly, really solid, regular BIOS updates, UK RMA.

RAM go for 3600MHZ out of the box ease of set up, either Samsung B die or Micron E die.

Cooling I'd go good quality AIO, 280 or 360mm.

AM4 will have the 4000 series available to drop in as far as we know. Higher IPC and a little more clock speed apparently.

Okay, thanks for the advice.
Do you have any idea when the new revision of the X570 is due? I probably won't be getting all the parts until the very beginning of May.

For cooling what would be your opinion of using the Noctua NH-D15 instead of an AIO?

Soldato
Okay, thanks for the advice.
Do you have any idea when the new revision of the X570 is due? I probably won't be getting all the parts until the very beginning of May.

For cooling what would be your opinion of using the Noctua NH-D15 instead of an AIO?

I've not seen anything definite regarding timings but should be well before May. @GIGA-Man any ideas on the new Aorus Master revision?

AMD recommend an AIO but I don't see why a Noctua or the new Zalman wouldn't work. Sure there are some reviews testing air coolers, worth checking there's no thermal throttling.

Soldato
If all you do is game you're better off with a 3600-3800X depending on budget.

For cooling, the NH-D15 will perform better than most, if not all of the AIO's within its price range. It is more than ample for any AM4 build.

As for the motherboard, I wouldn't spend more than £180-200 on an X570. The following is an excellent option:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £182.99 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

That said, unless there's specific features you really want on the X570 boards you could save £100 and get an MSI B450 MAX and not notice any performance difference.

Soldato
A 3400G would suffice.

Assuming you're not just making a random nonsensical statement, I'll bite.

Dropping to a 3400G from a 3700-3950 would have a direct impact on performance. Using a B450 with good VRM's instead of an X570 would not. The only reason to go X570 is if you intend to OC a 3900 + or need a specific feature, this is especially true when gaming.

Using a lower end CPU vs a lower end mobo chipset is not at all comparable.

Soldato
Assuming you're not just making a random nonsensical statement, I'll bite.

Dropping to a 3400G from a 3700-3950 would have a direct impact on performance. Using a B450 with good VRM's instead of an X570 would not. The only reason to go X570 is if you intend to OC a 3900 + or need a specific feature, this is especially true when gaming.

Using a lower end CPU vs a lower end mobo chipset is not at all comparable.

Whatever you feel best, however if I was building a system around a 3950X I’d be looking at quality X570 board not just for good voltage regulation. I think the Aorus master is best value, feature rich X570 board.

Soldato
Whatever you feel best, however if I was building a system around a 3950X I’d be looking at quality X570 board not just for good voltage regulation. I think the Aorus master is best value, feature rich X570 board.

Fair enough.

I'd personally opt for an Elite if I was buying a 3900/3950, I wouldn't see much point in spending more for my given uses.

Soldato
Fair enough.

I'd personally opt for an Elite if I was buying a 3900/3950, I wouldn't see much point in spending more for my given uses.

Nothing wrong with the Elite board at all, it’s a solid board, the Master just offers some very nice extras. 3 NVME slots, 1gbe and 2.5gbe networking, Intel WiFi, 14 phase VRM, slightly better sound chip and on board DAC, plus a few other features.

Soldato
Nothing wrong with the Elite board at all, it’s a solid board, the Master just offers some very nice extras. 3 NVME slots, 1gbe and 2.5gbe networking, Intel WiFi, 14 phase VRM, slightly better sound chip and on board DAC, plus a few other features.

This was what sold it to me. I'm an infrequent upgrader so future proofing as much as is possible was my logic. I also see the motherboard as the heart of the system so a decent one makes sense.

If I was gaming only a cheaper board and regular upgrades would make more sense. The 3600, Tomahawk Max, Ballistix combination looks fantastic value.

I also CBA with a full rebuild on a regular basis ;) I do enjoy looking at what others have created though, some real craftsmanship out there.

Back
Top Bottom