Build Advice

Associate
Hello,

I am considering going AMD for my new build and I am looking for advice on my hardware as I have never gone AMD before. I already have an i9-9700K but I've noticed the 3700X is only slightly behind it in terms of gaming performance whilst it is quite quicker in everything else. I know I could go for the 3900X or even the 3950X but I want to wait until the new AMD CPUs come out later this year so the 3700X will be more of a placeholder until they come out. In terms of cooling the 3700X I was thinking about going for the Noctua NH-U12S as it has great RAM clearance and is a pretty good performer as well.

With regards to my motherboard I was thinking about going for the Gigabyte Aorus Master as it seems to have good VRMs which may be handy for overclocking the new AMD CPUs when they come out.

For my GPU I already have an EVGA RTX 2080TI FTW3 which has been great so far.

For memory I will probably go for the Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3600Mhz as it has reasonable CAS timings and the added RGB is a nice touch.

For storage I will be reusing the SSDs I already have which are the Samsung 970 M.2 500GB SSD and the Samsung 860 1TB SSD.

I will also be reusing my PSU which is a Corsair RM1000i.

Finally, my case will be a Fractal Design Meshify S2 for good cooling. I will also be replacing the stock fans with NF-A14s - specifically three in the front for intake, and one at the rear and top-rear for exhaust.

What do you all think? Is there anything I could do better? I'm still rather new to all this so any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for reading!

Associate
OP
Sorry, I meant i7. Didn't mean to upgrade myself to a CPU that doesn't even exist.

Well, I'm mostly curious about the AMD platform. I might also end up doing some content creation in the future as well, although that is by no means guaranteed. I also have a little bit of regret about buying the i7-9700k because it is only a 8/8 CPU. With games in the future probably being optimised for 8/16 CPUs I haven't done a good job of futureproofing.

I am in no way going to replace my 2080ti. That's a great GPU and should last me a few years.

Soldato
With the next Ryzen cpus not far away I'd definitely be waiting. You have no need to upgrade unless you make your living creating content. Current cpus simply won't give you the improvement to justify the considerable cost.

Soldato
Do you know if the current X570 boards will support the new AMD CPUs? I have been told they probably will but more opinions are always helpful.
Bringing short duration new socket for DDR4 would be extreme PR loss for AMD and playing straight into Intel's pockets.
Current AM4 was told to be used up to 2020 already couple years ago...
When everyone was likely expecting DDR5 to be out by now!
So right now AMD must be doing serious thinking to decide if they dare to plan AM5 socket for next year.
Because it would be more than minor commercial suicide attempt for AMD to bring out new products without memory available for them.

thinking about going for the Noctua NH-U12S as it has great RAM clearance and is a pretty good performer as well.
Overpriced brand hype.
It's too expensive for its weight class and bundled NF-F12 fan is acoustically one of the crappiest I've touched in 25 years of PC hobby:
Marketing BS design makes sound profile restless with frequency spikes in it, which are something every good fan wants to avoid.
And Noctua's motor is even worser. Noctua should upscale those and sell them as industrial strength vibrating rollers!
That darn thing vibrates more than internal combustion engine without balancing...
While fans available for basic price run smoothly!
At least previous NF-P12 fan of preceeding NH-U12P had only that garbage motor...

Scythe Mugen 5 is step heavier and step cheaper and Scythe doesn't sell such garbage fans:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/search?sSearch=Scythe+Mugen+5
Could swap those slow 800 prm fans of PCGH to single lot better than those Noctua fans Arctic P12 and still be clearly below price.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/arctic-cooling-p12-pwm-pst-black-fan-120mm-fg-04h-ar.html

And forget Noctua overpricing also for case fans.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/arctic-cooling-p14-pwm-pst-black-fan-140mm-fg-04k-ar.html

Soldato
Sorry, I meant i7. Didn't mean to upgrade myself to a CPU that doesn't even exist.

Well, I'm mostly curious about the AMD platform. I might also end up doing some content creation in the future as well, although that is by no means guaranteed. I also have a little bit of regret about buying the i7-9700k because it is only a 8/8 CPU. With games in the future probably being optimised for 8/16 CPUs I haven't done a good job of futureproofing.

I am in no way going to replace my 2080ti. That's a great GPU and should last me a few years.

CPU is fine, specially for 1440p and 4k gaming where isn't not the priority. 1080p esports it'll fly . Just set 5ghz all cores.

really want to change and cant wait for Zen4 and DDR5 then Zen3 Q3 and B550/X570 boards to keep costs down

Back
Top Bottom