New to PC building - where to start?

Associate
Former console player, looking to get into PC gaming but I have absolutely no experience with building and a very limited understanding of parts needed for PCs, let alone which parts are "better".

I'm looking for some advice on where to start looking to improve my knowledge of building / parts as well as any recommendations for parts to use in a future build.

I have a budget of £1200, and would be looking to play games ranging from FPS to RTS. I'm not currently concerned about playing VR games.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Soldato
next question do you prefer amd or intel, have freinds sugessted what might be better for you, plus what are you going to do whith a new machine, browsing, gaming or edditing or a combination of all?

Associate
OP
Have you got access to a TV or similar? Otherwise I'd see about increasing your budget a tad. ~£1400. Better to get solid gear first time around, if you're able to spend that little bit extra

I could go up to £1400 at the absolute maximum, provided that includes all required accessories

Associate
OP
next question do you prefer amd or intel, have freinds sugessted what might be better for you, plus what are you going to do whith a new machine, browsing, gaming or edditing or a combination of all?

I had a friend suggest AMD as they are supposedly cheaper at each price point. In terms of use, I'd be looking at gaming primarily but of course also general day to day browsing and office work.

Associate
Should allow for you to purchase windows elsewhere.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,362.35 (includes shipping: £19.62)​
mobile-minimized.png

I could go up to £1400 at the absolute maximum, provided that includes all required accessories

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom