Headphone ear cup size

Soldato
I have never bothered with headphones because they have always made my ears really warm or just hurt.
Despite reviews saying "They are really comfy..." everyone has different sized ears.

They can be the best sounding headphones in the world but if they hurt your ears after 5 minutes, what's the point?

These are the Sennheiser Game One I recently purchased

hNiHLcFh.jpg

My ear

Jed0WgFh.jpg

Now they do fit but I have to sort of wedge my ears inside the cups for them to fit over my ears. I measured the cup sizes at 70mm length, by 40mm width.

I found this great page with some earcup sizes - http://www.basshead.club/earpad-sizes/

Should I maybe try the AKG k702s or other with large ear width?

Soldato
Sennheiser indeed uses rather "narrow" oval shaped pads.

AKG's fancy "automatically" adjusting head band relies mostly on pressure to hold ear cups in their positions.
So you might not find that comfortable.
What's your biggest problem with those Sennheisers?

Soldato
OP
What's your biggest problem with those Sennheisers?

Same as other headphone I have tried unfortunately, the feeling that my ear cartilage is getting crushed. It should really state the cup sizes on headphones along with all the other specifications

edit, wouldnt the pressure from the AKG headband be fine as long as my ears fit inside the cups? (which are 33mm larger on the 702s than the Sennheisers narror oval pads)

Last edited:
Soldato
edit, wouldnt the pressure from the AKG headband be fine as long as my ears fit inside the cups? (which are 33mm larger on the 702s than the Sennheisers narror oval pads)
Compared to some Beyerdynamic that pressure isn't that nice even on head.
And ears fitting inside pads is again harder to estimate thing.
Ear cups not holding their position and causing them to drop lower easily worsens comfort issues.
If you have smaller especially downward narrowing head shape that's real risk.
My head is just around that limit.
(own such AKGs, beside Beyer DT990)

Soldato
OP
Thanks
hmmm, might just stick with the Sennheisers for a while to see if I get used to them. There is also the faff of fitting a mod mic / other mic to the AKGs or any other headphones

Soldato
Used HD590 ("triangle" shaped pads) nearly ten years and then oval pad HD595 for couple years and both were certainly comfortable for me.

Soldato
OP
Used HD590 ("triangle" shaped pads) nearly ten years and then oval pad HD595 for couple years and both were certainly comfortable for me.
How big are your ears? They might be comfortable but depends on size of ears i would have thought

Soldato
OP
Of course hard to estimate/measure accurately, but ~5½cm high and maybe 3½ horizontally.
Just been trying, you're right. It's surprisingly hard to measure your own ears :D

Mine are definately more like 4cm horizontally, 6cm high

Back
Top Bottom