Associate
415fd066bda13d37b6ca42b3aa060be3

Hi everyone,

Currently playing around with fan curves because I'm not happy with my system noise. I'm using AI Suite 3 to monitor my temps and everything seems fine with what I've done, however there are 2 things I'm not sure about and these are the PCH temp and the Motherboard temp.

Can anyone tell me what acceptable temps are for these 2 things? And what max temps should be? Just want to make sure these 2 things are okay and then i'll be totally satisfied.

I have an ASUS Strix Z270f motherboard.
i7 7700k (but i don't overclock)
Asus Strix 2070 Super
H80i V2 (Running 1 fan due to case constraints)

Thanks for any replies :)

Last edited:
Soldato
those temps in your image are completly fine, motherboard temp will relate to the vrm's, dont worry as under load they will heat up as the cpu has load applied to it, also your pch (chipset) temps are normal also, don't forget your card is a open design so you'll find heat from that will exhaust directly over that area, yes it will be hot but keep in mind some air moving is better than none.

if anything goes too hot for the above the system will shut off to avoid damage, if it does you need to look at better case airflow, you'd hate the temps on x570, my amd rig's pch (chipset) at stock runs at 58 degrees and under load is around 65 degrees, luckily my motherboard temps are super low (mid 30's) as the mosfets are watercooled (built into my formula VIII)

end of the day i wouldn't worry about really, those components are designed to run warm anyway especially the motherboard (mosfets) can run over 100 degrees and be totally fine, when they approach 150 degrees thats the time to worry.

Associate
OP
Those temps arent my high ones i'm worried about lol, i've been keeping track of them and the PCH has reached a max of 70c so far and the motherboard a max of 57c. From what you've said it sounds like these are still fine?

Thanks for your input though its making me much more at ease with my temps!

Soldato
ahh as before, if your chipset is running at 70 that will be because of the open air cooler design of your card, when its under load it will vent a hell of a lot of heat away from it and the pch (chipset) is in the firing line, its a bit warm so if you can improve your case airflow to help with that.

the motherboard at 57 degrees is pretty good to be fair so don't worry about that, just have a look at extra fans for the case to help with pch temps

EDIT - which case do you have btw?

Associate
OP
I'm going to switch out my stock cooler fan for a noctua one and switch out all 4 of my case fans for the Masterfan MF120R ARGB ones. Also my PC is under my desk so quite restricted air flow i imagine. When IKEA do home deliveries again after the Coronavirus lockdown is over I'm getting a bigger desk so I can have my PC on top of it. Hopefully all this will improve it. Other than that I can't do much else other than re-case my PC and I really don't want to be doing that.

Case - Phanteks P400s (Mine has a tempered glass side panel)

Noctua fan I'm going to get -
Noctua NF-P12 redux-1700 PWM, 4-Pin, High Performance Cooling Fan with 1700RPM (120mm, Grey)

EDIT - This image shows what I'm looking at when idle
69499704d7c9b769c0d20126b3e8f4d8

I'm still monitoring my temps but playing 2 hours of Battlefield 1 and about an hour-ish of Control earlier only got me to the heights I mentioned before. While monitoring all that time it never got any higher but thats not saying it won't if i have a more intense gaming session.

Thanks for the info about the links man, hadn't a clue

Last edited:
Soldato
just a side note competitor links aren't allowed best to edit those out, I've been caught out many times here doing the same not worth the hassle.

that case has a pretty enclosed front panel which doesn't really help airflow, with regards to the noctua fans they will be a fine addition to any system, build quality is excellent and most of their line up move a fair amount of air at relatively low speed

Associate
OP
I'm gonna order all my fans tonight and when they all arrive I'll fit them and see if they do me any favours other than just noise levels. I'll report back or make another thread if my temps increase from what I previously stated as well. Thanks for all your help :)

Soldato
I'm gonna order all my fans tonight and when they all arrive I'll fit them and see if they do me any favours other than just noise levels. I'll report back or make another thread if my temps increase from what I previously stated as well. Thanks for all your help :)

with regards to the fans you'll need to setup fan profiles as just installing them and not doing anything wont improve cooling, you can set up custom fan rpm's in the bios or via ai sutie program in windows (you'll need to download the program then click on fan expert)

Associate
OP
Yeah I'm using that software now and have been messing around with custom curves so I have some idea what I'm doing here. If im replacing that single corsair fan on my H80i V2 rad with the noctua one I mentioned will it be enough rpm? I assume it is from the monitoring I've been doing.

This is what I'm looking at now
32c6a9d096a6b19570b3f9f3b6950161

923f4f6de2a5a64e2c6bef0046fc5e54

fefeed0992986d55a01fc10299464dc3

438b03679650dcf0161e380dc2bf62fc

Soldato
Yeah I'm using that software now and have been messing around with custom curves so I have some idea what I'm doing here. If im replacing that single corsair fan on my H80i V2 rad with the noctua one I mentioned will it be enough rpm? I assume it is from the monitoring I've been doing.

depends really, the noctua fans are pretty good tbh, but the corsair fan will more likely be geared for static pressure for the radiator its been paired with, though playing with the new fans rpm you may find a tad better cooling but may be quieter, and if you increase the rpm the cooling may be better still.

if you can have as much space around the case to allow cool air in and all the hot air out so as you said earlier a new desk would be advisable :)

Associate
OP
Would you advise just playing around with fan curves then until i get a good balance between cool and quiet then? That's kinda what i'm doing now and why I'm monitoring temps so much in the first place.

Soldato
you can do yes, but i'd set up fans so when pc is idle have them all spin around 45-55%, and then set a middle rpm for all fans around 65% and at the top set a fan rpm around 80-85%, alter temps at each stage so at the bottom set temp at 40 degrees, middle temp 55 degrees and at the top 70 degrees.

but it's up to you were to set the values, you may want quite over cooling or vise versa so the above is a rough guide.

one thing to mention as you are a new member your limited to 15 posts a day so keep an eye on that :)

Soldato
well if the motherboard is in red then either the software is playing up or something is genuinely running hot, head online and download a program called hwinfo64 run the program and select sensors only, this will then bring up a page showing detailed info about your pc including temperatures scroll down and it will give detail on your cpu and motherboard keep it running and play a game for a while, exit out and it will show the max temps the hardware got to

Associate
OP
Okay thank you, i'll do this tomorrow. However if you say 57c is fine but 60c is in red (I posted a screenshot of this btw) then surely that's just a software specific thing and it isn't actually that bad?

Soldato
ai sute isn't the best for accuracy temp or voltage wise so have a look at hwinfo64 it's far better, you can always take the panel off and touch a vrm heatsink at the top of your board, if its hot to the touch then some active cooling would be advisable like your pch (chipset).
i did some digging online regarding your board and the pch looks to run around 60-65 degrees normally under load, so your not far off, i'd say it's a matter of better airflow through your build, try removing the front panel, during these warm days its best to get as much cooling as possible, have your windows open too as that will help cool down your room and thus the pc too

Associate
OP
So today I've been using that app to monitor and I took my front panel off and the temps started dropping instantly and in the hour since then that i played my motherboard temp never got above 45c. I looked online and found a mesh front panel that was made for the p400A Phanteks case but also fits my P400s. I've ordered this and I'll fit that when all my new fans come and I'm sure I'll see a massive difference!

Soldato
thats really good news to hear, glad temps have dropped as that will benefit everything in the long run, plus a mesh front panel with new fans will help no end too, keep checking the pc but if it stays cool with the mesh panel and new fans you wont need a new desk :)

Associate
OP
Looking at my case (p400s), where would you put the intake fans and exhaust fans? I have 2 fans on top and 2 in the front, I'm thinking my intake should be on top and exhaust in the front? Just planning how I should have my new ones.

Also I need a new desk for multiple reasons lol, this one is falling apart

Back
Top Bottom