The Tesla Thread

Soldato
Just got back from a week's holiday and was interested to see what the drain would be on my SR+. Checked it at 5am when we left on 7th, once on 10th so I'd have a split and then just now when I got back.

Otherwise I didn't wake it up, had Sentry turned off and I deleted Teslafi's API token.

Left it with 85% and the total drain over the period (7.5 days) was... 0%. 0%! Was really surprised! But amazing if you're leaving it at an airport.

To confirm it's not a display bug it dropped to 84% whilst I was doing the latest update...

Soldato
Wow, stick on plates are back in fashion!
are they legal for moden cars .. multiple sources
How Could A Stick On Reg Plate Fail the Tests?
Generally a stick on number plate is one that is made to have the back pealed off and stuck on the car like a decal or sticker, they are not made of thick plastic like a normal number plate. A sticker has no rigidity and would basically have similar properties to a piece of paper. Where are we going with this you might ask? One of the tests for a reg plate is "Resistance to bending". Basically the test involves hanging a 3kg weight on the reg plate 125mm from the clamp point and the plate must not bend more than 25mm. That is one test a stick on plate would surly fail even before the weight is added.

Another possible failure for a stick on plate is "Resistance To Impact". This means a 1kg mass is dropped on the centre of the plate and it must not damage the face of the plate and then must still past a retroreflective test. Most stickers would simply ripe in this test. Then there is a vibration test which subject the plate to 750 vibrations a minute to see if the plate disintegrates.

Soldato
Wow, stick on plates are back in fashion! I never thought I'd see those again since my old Ford Capri which didn't have a front bumper.

Wouldn't say they're back in fashion, just that the stock Tesla plate holders are horrible and chunky AF, and the indented shape of the front makes even the slimmest holders protrude.

are they legal for moden cars .. multiple sources

Meh. Where I bought them from use "DVLA/BSAU certified reflective vinyl". I'll eat my hat if I ever get stopped for it.

I've still got the metal plate on the back because it was easier to fix with tape because the rear doesn't indent where the plate goes.

Soldato
Yeah i think as long as it's the correct reflective backing and standard legal sizing and spacing you'd be very unlikely to have an issue.

With the number of people with stupidly illegally spaced plates, tinted or generally horrible looking ones and they never seem to have an problem.

Soldato
Weren't there holes behind the number plates? did you fill them

there are holes behind the front ones - self tapping screws - no didn't fill those as it's just the plastic bumper.

rear one has a indented bit of metal so just stuffed a tiny bit of tape over the two small holes, the put the reg plate over the top. Time will tell if any issues occur.

Soldato
I'll be finally applying the wrap at the center units and replacing the number plates on mine at the weekend. Removing half of the front plate but not sticking straight to the car like the above.

Soldato
Having trouble with the mother in laws Tesla Model 3 and WiFi and it not picking up their router to install the latest update available. The SSD doesn't appear in the available networks only their old BT router. It connected to their old BT router, then they changed to Vodafone, range isn't the issue as it couldn't really be closer to it due to their office and the garage location. I've tried the below to no avail, any other suggestions would be lovely:
  • Rebooted the Tesla
  • Rebooted router
  • Turned WiFi on and off in Tesla
  • Manually adding the SSD
  • Putting the Tesla MAC address in the router WiFi settings
  • Tried connecting to my phone HotSpot
  • Changed WiFi mode from 802.11/b/g/n to 802.11b/g

Soldato
Having trouble with the mother in laws Tesla Model 3 and WiFi and it not picking up their router to install the latest update available. The SSD doesn't appear in the available networks only their old BT router. It connected to their old BT router, then they changed to Vodafone, range isn't the issue as it couldn't really be closer to it due to their office and the garage location. I've tried the below to no avail, any other suggestions would be lovely:
  • Rebooted the Tesla
  • Rebooted router
  • Turned WiFi on and off in Tesla
  • Manually adding the SSD
  • Putting the Tesla MAC address in the router WiFi settings
  • Tried connecting to my phone HotSpot
  • Changed WiFi mode from 802.11/b/g/n to 802.11b/g

not sure what the SSD has to do with it - The software updates for the car are nothing to do with the SSD. SSD in the car is for sentry footage/dashcam footage only.

Does the Tesla pick up the wifi network? If it does - sign in to it from the car. That's it. Nothing other than that required. Software updates get pushed out at over a period of time, they don't all appear at once.

Check the car is set to Software update preference "advanced" - Make sure it has a good wifi signal and it will eventually pick up the updates

Soldato
not sure what the SSD has to do with it - The software updates for the car are nothing to do with the SSD. SSD in the car is for sentry footage/dashcam footage only.

Does the Tesla pick up the wifi network? If it does - sign in to it from the car. That's it. Nothing other than that required. Software updates get pushed out at over a period of time, they don't all appear at once.

Check the car is set to Software update preference "advanced" - Make sure it has a good wifi signal and it will eventually pick up the updates

He means the car isnt seeing the SSID. The Model 3 does have pretty poor reception tbh. I would move the router as close to the car as possible, point the antennas at it assuming it has any. You could also use a signal booster. Last of all, try parking the car the other way around, im pretty sure the wifi antenna in the car is on the drivers side of the vehicle.

Associate
Wouldn't say they're back in fashion, just that the stock Tesla plate holders are horrible and chunky AF, and the indented shape of the front makes even the slimmest holders protrude.

Meh. Where I bought them from use "DVLA/BSAU certified reflective vinyl". I'll eat my hat if I ever get stopped for it.

I've still got the metal plate on the back because it was easier to fix with tape because the rear doesn't indent where the plate goes.
I would be surprised if you have any problems.

Soldato
just seen the first few 'used' model 3's have started to appear on the official website, i'm guessing they were demonstrator cars as they're still being listed as new and qualifying for the £3000 grant somehow.

Around £6-7k less for around 10k miles so brings an SR+ with FSD down below 40k, be interesting to see if there's any regular SR+'s on the way there and what price they'll be.

Edging closer to what i can afford to pay!

Back
Top Bottom