*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Soldato
Hickory smoked ox cheek and chuck ragu today. I smoked the meat for a couple hours, then braised it with the veg for a few hours until it had boiled down a bit. The mix of chuck and cheek is fantastic, the cheek has fallen apart in the sauce and chuck has stayed whole but dissolves in your mouth! :D

I've been after the dutch oven for a while, does it fit under a 57" kettle without the specific grates, or would you recommend getting these too? ~£150 is a lot to shell out for the pair :eek:

Soldato
Cheers, I'll see how it goes later. Where would be the best place to stick the probe if for cooking other things?

If I'm doing ribs, I just use the ambient temp probe on the actual grill near the meat somewhere. I use the meat probe if I'm doing a bigger joint where I can stick it in properly. :)

I've been after the dutch oven for a while, does it fit under a 57" kettle without the specific grates, or would you recommend getting these too? ~£150 is a lot to shell out for the pair :eek:

I've just checked and it fits in my MT 57 fine without taking the middle of the grill out. :)

0mzqJYAl.jpg

Soldato
Finally received this BBQ and set it up today ready for my first BBQ of 2020 tomorrow. Got myself some nice meat from the local butchers.

2 x marinated pork ribs
2 x minted lamb kebabs
2 x beef burgers
4 x chipolatas
4 x chicken kebabs
Plus whatever vegetarian options my wife is getting in the tesco delivery tomorrow

I only have lumpwood in the garage so I am hoping on my way to wife's midwife appointment today I can spot some briquettes at the local garage.

Soldato
Finally received this BBQ and set it up today ready for my first BBQ of 2020 tomorrow. Got myself some nice meat from the local butchers.

2 x marinated pork ribs
2 x minted lamb kebabs
2 x beef burgers
4 x chipolatas
4 x chicken kebabs
Plus whatever vegetarian options my wife is getting in the tesco delivery tomorrow

I only have lumpwood in the garage so I am hoping on my way to wife's midwife appointment today I can spot some briquettes at the local garage.

Looks similar to my barrel style bbq. Make sure you give the ribs as long as you can on indirect heat if you can. Pictures encouraged!

Soldato
Will definitely do some pictures. What's the best thing to do with the ribs in that case? I know what indirect heat means but how would I do that with just what I have in pic?
Sausages, burgers, chicken you all want to stop cooking as soon as it's safe to eat basically, because the meat is already tender and you want it as juicy as possible. Ribs are tougher so the longer you cook them for, the more the fibres in the meat breakdown and the tenderer they are. Plenty of people cook them similar to how you would say a chicken leg, and that's fine but if you can cook it slower and for longer then it will be a better result. Your barbecue won't have very good air flow control however, and that is the key to longer indirect cooks. So it won't be easy, I just mean if you are able to put them on at the same time you put your charcoal in but over to the side, and leave them there they whole time with the lid down as much as possible while other things cook over the coals then it'll help a bit.

I suspect the body of your BBQ is the same as mine, I've added some high temperature silicon along the seams of mine which has improved air flow control and I've been able to cook at a stable temperature for long periods with it with decent success. Let me know if you want to do something similar and I can go into more detail.

Anyone got any stellar deals on charcoal barbeques that aren't sold out? lol
You're not exactly hunting at the right time of year for a great deal. If you want something brand new you'll likely have to suck it up and pay close to RRP.

If you don't mind looking second hand, something like the below might serve you well.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/barbeques/weber-classic-kettle-charcoal-barbecue-57cm-cover/1370869892
https://www.gumtree.com/p/barbeques/weber-one-touch-1991-model/1371072164

Next question, what do you use to clean your bbq. I have not prepared for this part.
Once a year I give mine a solid scrub with soapy water all over the inside and put grates through the dishwasher (after a thorough wash before that), but during regular use I literally just scrape down the grates when they are hot using one of these.
https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/159063..._01xNG7bVtvF3tLq5PBoCAaEQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Soldato
I made the mistake of not doing that once and ended up with black bits all over the inside of the dishwasher!
There's something particularly evil about barbecue grease and grime. Especially if you regularly give it hours and hours of smoking on end! No issue as long as it's in-situ in the pit but yeah you want as little as possible of that stuff entering your house!

Soldato
I've got 2Kg of pork belly ribs to slow cook on Sunday. I haven't done ribs on the BBQ before so I'm hoping someone here can give me some tips. I've done other slow cooks so can usually maintain about 110-120 on the Weber, so with that temperature in mind, what would be an estimated cook time? Also, how about a dry rub, and basting during the cook? Any help is appreciated :).

Soldato
Hopefully
Gutted! It's been on offer for over a fortnight. Typical they should run out now.

Personally I'm waiting to see if something better comes along - I think stock levels are going to be all over the show, so something will come along.

Hopefully you're right, I've been wanting a new one for years and now I've got the cash for one I can't find the right one lol

Permabanned
Associate
If I'm doing ribs, I just use the ambient temp probe on the actual grill near the meat somewhere. I use the meat probe if I'm doing a bigger joint where I can stick it in properly. :)

Thanks for the tip. I was quite pleased with how the ribs turned out for my first ever attempt.

eo06nh0.jpg

Even the Kitties wanted in on the action

yVVPrJ4.jpg

Soldato
Soldato
We are Indian so tend to 'Indianify' our BBQs so here goes from today:

Masala fish
LFdgeld.jpg

Chicken niblets
hCoCK3a.jpg

Lamb chops
nWvCggr.jpg