What book are you reading...

Associate
Just finished Children of Time.

I liked it even but thought the ending was very rushed. Oddly, as an aracnophobe, I rooted for the spiders! The sequel is on my to read list but I've got quite a few more to get through first, and I'm not a quick reader.

I give it a 7/10.

Soldato
Exoskeleton
Exoskeleton II Tympanum
Exoskeleton III Omniscient

by Shane Stadler on Kindle.

Bit of fun quick read sci-fi/horror/suspense that starts off about a new compressed punishment prison scheme, 25 years normal or 365 days of compressed punishment? Continuing on to questions about life, the universe and everything.

Soldato
Exoskeleton
Exoskeleton II Tympanum
Exoskeleton III Omniscient

by Shane Stadler on Kindle.

Bit of fun quick read sci-fi/horror/suspense that starts off about a new compressed punishment prison scheme, 25 years normal or 365 days of compressed punishment? Continuing on to questions about life, the universe and everything.

Oooooo...I read the first one on holiday about 5/6 years ago, didn't know there were sequels. Some parts of it really made me whince but was eager for more.

Soldato
Aye, first one does have a fair degree of torture during the compressed punishment! The story does develop though.

All three on Kindle Unlimited if you want to give them a whirl.

Associate
Book 6 in the Toy Soldiers series by Devon C. Ford (Kindle Unlimited).

Set in the UK and tells the story of a Zombie outbreak around the World.
One of the better Zombie stories I have read as of late.

Previously read the Hell On Earth series by Iain Rob Wright (Kindle Unlimited).

Story about what happens if Hell decides to conquer Earth...
Also mainly based in the UK.

Another enjoyable series of books, will definitely be reading more by the author.

Soldato
about halfway through Fated by Benedict Jacka. It's book 1 in the Alex Versus series of novels.

Pretty good so far. It hasn't grabbed me like Storm Front did, but maybe it will improve in the next few books. (Storm Front is book 1 in the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher)

Soldato
Bone Silence - Alastair Reynolds. Third book of the Revenger series. Two sisters run away to become space pirates in a far future, fragmented solar system, one for freedom, one for the love of her sister. The Ness sisters are chased down by a naval hunting party while they try to find out some of the desperate secrets of the many worlds in the solar system. A good resolution to their story that leaves it open to more in the future.

Empire of Silence, Howling Dark - Christopher Ruocchio. First two books of the Sun Eater series. Sixteen thousand years into the future, a feudal empire spans the stars, with a few more little outlying civilizations along the edges. Humanity is in a war hampered by time dilation with the only other intelligent race ever discovered. The first born son of a minor aristocrat is deemed too sensitive and thoughtful to inherit his father's title, and is shipped off to join the powerful clergy. He runs away to become an explorer, only for all his carefully laid plans to go horribly awry. This was a strange book, as although it's written like a fantasy book, the story is all sci-fi, and reminds me a lot of Dune at the beginning. The main character does some dumb things to further the story, but as his fortunes go up and down, you can't help but wanting to see where his tangential thinking takes him in efforts to make his own fortune, and try and stop an interstellar war.. I wanted to keep turning each page, but strangely found it hard to go back to after putting it down. As soon as I picked it up again, I'd want to read chapter after chapter as the characters travel across space in an effort to make the universe a better place. Outlandish characters and good locations make this feel like an epic journey through a galaxy spanning fantasy setting. Oh, and there are light-sabres (exotic matter swords for the nobility).

Cry Pilot, Burn Cycle - Joel Dane. First two books of the Cry Pilot trilogy. In the future, earth is trashed after a massive war, and is now ruled by a few large corporations all working to rebuild the planet. People live in massive towers and restricted urban areas. Poor people at the bottom, the corporate members at the top, with a business/military type of social structure. One man with a shady past as part of a terrorist organisation has to get out of the bottom-feeder life, and the only way is to join a corporate army. It turns out he's the only man who can pilot combat vehicles built by long lost AIs, just as a bigger threat to humanity is resurrected during the repair of the earth. This reminded me of Starship Troopers, The Space Eater, The Forever War, and Full Metal Jacket. The first part of the story is the training, the hiding of the main character's past and that of his genetically altered squad mate. Dane isn't afraid to throw his characters into wildly inventive and dangerous situations, and he's not afraid to kill off characters you've got to know and like. The book is sharply written, and moves along at a clip. You never get bored, and always want to see what happens next as the main character gets pulled around by his multiple loyalties, secrets, and mad action sequences. Highly recommended.

Ex-Heroes, Ex-Patriots, Ex-Communication, Ex-Purgatory, Ex-Isle - Peter Clines
. The very underrated "superheroes vs zombies" genre. A zombie outbreak infects the world, and a few superheroes manage to rescue survivors and hole up in a massive film studio turned fortress. Many of the superhero archetypes are represented as they battle to keep survivors alive against the millions of shambler zombies wandering around LA. The books progress as the fortress is expanded into a safe zone part of what used to be LA, and the various challenges and bad guys faced by the heroes. You get not just the current story, but flashbacks into the past of the various characters to see what brought them to where they are now. Generally good fun, just staying on the right side of wacky, with characters you really come to care about.

Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits - David Wong. A young woman from a no-name little town escapes a man sent to kill her, and finds that the estranged father she's only met twice has died and named her as the inheritor of his massive criminal empire that he used to build and control a futuristic city in Nevada (ie Las Vegas 2.0). Typical Wong, it's funny, clever, sassy, with a great story and wild characters as Zoey tries to stay alive and hopefully come out of things a little ahead. Recommended.

The Rig - Roger Levy. I found this quite hard going, but the story eventually gets going and a sci-fi mystery eventually unfolds to a satisfactory conclusion. The main characters is an organisational savant who is happily running his bosses criminal empire, until they try to bump him off, and he has to find a way to use his talents to survive and get revenge on those that killed his parents and threaten his life.

Dissidence, Insurgence, Emergence - Ken Macleod. The Corporation Wars trilogy. In the future a drone pilot cum terrorist is double crossed while working for the government, and then finds his consciousness wakes up far across space and deep into the future, inside a simulated planet environment. He's there to help battle other corporations in order the be the first to mine resources and terraform the earth-like planet for future colonisation. His reward will be a download into a new body and a new life on the planet, but he'll have to fight in downloaded robot bodies. As with all Ken Macleod books, the sci-fi setting is combined with politics, and the wheels within wheels keep you guessing what's real and what's not, and what tricks are being pulled to get people to act for the corporations, instead of their own self interests. Like most Macleod books, it's full of clever concepts and ideas, corporate tricks and back-stabbing, and makes you think about where our society could go in the future.

Ball Lightning - Cixin Liu. Slow, thinky book from China's foremost sci-fi writer about a scientist's obsession with ball lighting, and using it as a weapon. Quite clever in places, by rather slow in others, and so my interest waxed and waned, and I found it a bit of a slow read, but it has lots of interesting ideas if you're willing to have a little bit of a struggle to get through it.

Artemis - Andy Weir
. A young woman grows up on the moon and does a bit of delivery and slightly dodgy side deals to make ends meet, but finds herself stuck in the middle of an attempt to take over the governance of the city by force. Good fun and well written, but much less science-y than The Martian, so reads more like a regular sci-fi adventure, rather than an astronaut's diary.

Provenance - Ann Leckie. Written more conventionally than her Ancilliary Justice series, this standalone book follows a somewhat disgraced daughter of a politically powerful family returns home to try and carve out some success of her own at a time when her own planet is in turmoil. Well written, some clever ideas, a good read, but didn't grab me massively. Not one that you're going to think about afterwards.

Soldato
Cry Pilot, Burn Cycle - Joel Dane.
Ex-Heroes, Ex-Patriots, Ex-Communication, Ex-Purgatory, Ex-Isle - Peter Clines.
I'll give Dane's book's ago. Thanks for the info.

I love the "Ex-Heroes" series and think he came up with an interesting take on the cause of it all too. I hope he brings out some more in the series. You should try his 'Threshold' books too. 4 loosely connected stories (14, Threshold, Dead Moon and Terminus) which never go where you expect them to. I won't spoil the over-arching link as it's quite cool to discover. They won't win an high literary prizes but they keep me coming back. :)

Caporegime
about halfway through Fated by Benedict Jacka. It's book 1 in the Alex Versus series of novels.

Pretty good so far. It hasn't grabbed me like Storm Front did, but maybe it will improve in the next few books. (Storm Front is book 1 in the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher)

I like the Verus series, it's almost as good as Dresden Files imo.

Soldato
I'll give Dane's book's ago. Thanks for the info.

I think the third book is due out in the middle of the year. Joel Dane is supposedly a pseudonym of a more famous author. The ideas are clever, the pace is frenetic, and he really captures that sort of "future sci-fi military" thing. Some of the twists are easy to figure out in advance, but that doesn't lessen the excitement. My only minus is that there's one character that is a bit too deus ex machina, but she has to be there to make the story work, though she's personified as a "little sister with a big secret" character that grates in the setting. Otherwise it's a really slick story and setting that hangs together well.

I love the "Ex-Heroes" series and think he came up with an interesting take on the cause of it all too. I hope he brings out some more in the series.

The fourth book is the weakest, and really takes 95 percent of the book to explain itself before going to a resolution. Even Clines admits this is because he was stuck for time between other projects, and planned the whole book out (which is not how he usually writes). The rest just have great characters and good pacing, though he reuses bad guys too often. I think he's maybe run out of steam on the Ex series, as he's not done anything for a while.

You should try his 'Threshold' books too. 4 loosely connected stories (14, Threshold, Dead Moon and Terminus) which never go where you expect them to. I won't spoil the over-arching link as it's quite cool to discover. They won't win an high literary prizes but they keep me coming back. :)

I wasn't overly impressed with "Dead Moon", as the whole premise was dumb, and characters kept doing dumb things that got them killed. I have read "The Fold" which is part of Threshold, and is really quite a bit brilliant. "The Lycanthorpe Robinson Crusoe" was just annoying and didn't bring anything new of value to the story. "The Junkie Quatrain" was all right, but mostly average. "Paradox Bound" was very clever, though some parts I felt were tough going due to pacing issues, and it gave me the impression of a much richer background world that was somewhat unrealised in the book.

Soldato
Rage - Jonathan Maberry. Book 11 of the Joe Ledger series. Joe Ledger is back saving the world (again). The violence is violent, the preachy-ness is more preachy, the clunky emotional internal dialogue is more clunky. It's getting a bit tired now with rehashed imminent dangers, and reused bad guys. Do we really need constant recapping of what's gone before? If we haven't figured it out by the previous ten books, we're not going to now. It's all right, but doesn't bring anything that we haven't already seen several times in the previous books, and it's just running out of steam now.

Velocity Weapon - Megan E. O'Keefe. Book 1 of the Protectorate series. A gunship commander caught in a surprise attack in a contested planetary system wakes up 200 years later after being rescued by a deserted AI-run research cruiser and told the two occupied planets have been destroyed. Nothing is as it seems as the main character tries to figure out what happened and how to make it out alive. We also follow the story of her diplomat brother's search for her, and a storyline on a nearby system. Once this is going and some of the story has unravelled, it motors along. It's well written, but there are some amateurish story decisions that make some parts just unsatisfying, and it falls a bit here and there into losing pace and making the characters do uncharacteristic things to drive the story forwards. I think I'll look on it more favourably when the next book arrives and this first one can then be viewed as the first act into the main story.

Soldato
"Primordial Island" by Rick Poldark on Kindle Unlimited. Wow, I'm glad I didn't pay for this. It starts out OK when a plane crashes onto an island that turns out to be inhabited by dinosaurs. As ridiculous as that may sound it just gets stupid from there onwards. It just piles cliche on to cliche and has me wondering whether it is more like one of those stories where different strangers on the internet each add a chapter at random or the fever dream of a 10 year old boy. I constantly find myself thinking "Oh, he stole that idea/concept/entire chapter from ..." Plot elements so far (77% through the book):
  • Dinosaurs
  • Military men with big guns - that get slaughtered by the dinos, obviously
  • Primitive human living on the island
  • An evil corporation who discover a way to warp space time to bring the island from a different dimension using hand-waving "science"
  • Male and female versions of Burke from Aliens
  • Magic (I kid you not)
  • A super-powered, invulnerable, teleporting bad guy (for no apparent reason)
  • Zombies
  • A whole section that is basically an amalgam of The Crystal Maze, a few hundred cheap B movies and the end of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade...but with velociraptors!
  • Dungeons & Dragons
I'm just waiting on the arrival of aliens to really cause me to LOL in despair. I wasn't expecting Tolkien but it's like a random collection of chapters from a kid's bookshelf. It's so engaging that I literally keep forgetting which character is who. They're that interchangeable/forgettable.
Damn my completionist brain for making me read to the end.

Last edited:
Soldato
@Steampunk Velocity Weapon sounds interesting. Is it a standalone or part of a series?

I’m finishing Ice Station by Matt Reilly, ridiculous techno thriller type stuff but written with enough gusto to keep entertaining, a re-read but still good.
Cibola Burn -book 4 The Expanse, enjoying it, rattled through first 3 books enjoyed them all so far. Like the differences between TV and book, they are different beasts and for once not feeling picky about tv changes.

Back
Top Bottom