I think I will go crazy with this. So, I have an old desktop pc:
Asus M4N68T
8G DDR3 1333,
AMD Phenom II x2 550 Callisto 3.1 GHz
CIT 850UB 850W
Gigabyte GTS 450 (old)
Gigabyte GTX 1660 Super OC 6G (New)
Win 10.
So my old GPU died and as I want to build a new system I wanted to start with the GPU So I can use it in the old one untill I have everything together so I got the GTX 1660 Super OC 6G.

I installed it in the PC, connected the 8 pin power connector. Switched the pc on, it passed bios, win loaded. All good so far.

I tried to install the driver from the cd provided with the GPU but when the monitor should refreshed with the new resolution, it got blank saying no signal and the fans on the GPU stoped spinning. I waited for a few hours thinking something is going on in the background but nothing changed. I reset the pc and after the win 10 logo, the monitor goes blank again.
I updated the Bios, nothing changed.
Got in Safe Mode, device management and looks like the driver is installed. But for some reasons when windows loads the screen is blank. Tried uninstalling the driver, download the one from the Nvidia website. Nothing changed. I tried the one from the Gigabyte website. Nothing changed. I tried upgrading driver from device management after uninstalling the driver.
Tried in power management to set it at high performance. Same thing.
Tried win key+P , shift+ctrl+win key+ B on keyboard, nothing..
I installed win 8.1 installed the driver downloaded from the Gigabyte support for win 8.1 the same problem.
Everything I do, I get the same result , PC dies after win logo.
Lately noticed keyboard is not responding as well. As Num LK led is on and if I press on Num Lock is stays on, and If I try Caps nothing is happening.
I don't know if the GPU is faulty or the rest of the system is outdated but it meets the minimum system requirements.
If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Thank you

Associate
OP
Ty for answering. I will try the GPU tomorrow in a friends computer and hopefully it will be ok. I am just afraid the GPU is faulty and if I wait till next month when I am planning to get the rest of the new system it will be harder to return. Fingers crossed it will work tomorrow and is only about the rest of my old system that is messed up.

Associate
OP
The monitor is connected to the GPU with HDMI. The GPU has 3 display ports and one hdmi.
I ordered a display port cable to try different outputs.
I updated the BIOS to latest version.
It's an old system never had any troubles with it. System seems ok untill I start installing the driver for the GPU. During the installation the whole system freezes, monitor goes black and has no signal. After some time restarts by itself and I get the notification that recent modification had been removed as it was causing win 10 to malfunction. I tried the driver from Gigabyte, from Nvidia, win updater, Simple Driver Updater. I even tried the drivers for win 8.1 on win 10.

Associate
OP
Ok so I have some updates..
I tried the GPU in my friends system. I tried installing the driver from device manager updating video driver. During installation screen went black and had no signal but keyboard was working. After about 1 min, the signal returned to the monitor and got the driver successfully installed msg. So the GPU should work fine.
I tried his 1050 in my system and works fine.
So I guess it's my PSU.

Associate
OP
Anyone can suggest a good PSU ?
The new system will be :
MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI
RYZEN 3600
Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 16 GB (2x8GB) 3600 MHz AMD Ryzen Tuned DDR4
GTX 1660 super Oc 6G DDR6
500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 (2280) PCIe 3.0 (x4) NVMe SSD, 3D NAND,3430MB/s Read,2600MB/s Write, 420k IOPS
In time I will get to 32 Gb RAM

Soldato
Anyone can suggest a good PSU ?
The new system will be :
MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI
RYZEN 3600
Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 16 GB (2x8GB) 3600 MHz AMD Ryzen Tuned DDR4
GTX 1660 super Oc 6G DDR6
500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 (2280) PCIe 3.0 (x4) NVMe SSD, 3D NAND,3430MB/s Read,2600MB/s Write, 420k IOPS
In time I will get to 32 Gb RAM
Seasonic focus 650 watt should do you or corsair psu look at length of warranty gives you a good indication how good it is

Soldato
i wouldn't say the psu is at fault, more like the uefi of the gpu bios not being able to work with a legacy bios of such a old motherboard, tech yes city has had problems with this in the past and unfortunately there is no work around, either sell the card or upgrade your whole machine and use the 1660 super oc you have

Associate
AMD phenom Ii..jeez.
makes you wonder why people think their rigs are compatible with new parts.
if you bought ultra high end at the time I can understand but buying mainstream budget components will just give you approx 5 to 7 years service at the most.
AMD phenom ii must be over 10 years old. Joke

Soldato
Not saying the 1660s is compatible or not, but am sure i read that Nvidia is compatible with legacy and uefi, whereas AMD need dual bios to support both bios types.

Like i say, i don't know this for definite.

Soldato
Not saying the 1660s is compatible or not, but am sure i read that Nvidia is compatible with legacy and uefi, whereas AMD need dual bios to support both bios types.

Like i say, i don't know this for definite.

i'd still say it's the newer gpu and the old mobo bios with what to op said about the windows logo showing during boot and then nothing, thats when the gpu takes over and if there are any issues with the hand off from the board the gpu will fail and you'll just get a black screen.
safe mode will work as normal as the pc it put into a state that may allow things to work, just not under normal boot conditions.
only way to find out is to install the gpu into another pc, or buy a older gpu (say 5 years old) and try that in the op's rig to find out whats what.

the bios for the Asus M4N68T is a AMI type which is bloody ancient compared to uefi versions these days.

is your board just Asus M4N68T or is it Asus M4N68T v2?, as the latter will support upto rtx 2080ti but no mention of the 16 series, link below

https://www.pc-specs.com/mobo/Asus/Asus_M4N68T-M_V2/149/Compatible_GPUs

Back
Top Bottom