• Digital Only Version

Votes: 171 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
I'd imagine they had the main reveal planned for around E3 time with their own show, likely after MS E3 was planned.

MS seem fluid and look to have adapted to the current situation feeding the fans, Sony it seems have not.

Soldato
Yup - all those "Leaks" look legit to me.....sorry, all those leaks look like all the other leaks that predicted February launch, March Launch, two April Launches and May 4th Launch.

Soldato
What about putting a special SSD port on to the GPU like AMD already has done with some of its cards?
I agree that it would fix the issue but that brings another problem of what size SSD you use. You end up with two options

1. It is large enough to hold an enitre game, so 200+GB SSD on all GPUs that have onboard storage
Pros: Devs don't need to concern themselves with what is stored on the SSD they can simply request data like they would off the hard drive. So less programming work for devs.
Cons: Price. game loading speed? (since you would essentially need to copy the entire game file from one SSD to another)

2. Enough space to load either an entire linear level or a significant portion of an open world map. So 24GB-64GB
Pros: Cheaper
Cons: More work for devs as they will need to sort out what should go on the SSD. You also run into product segmentation issues if for example lower end card may only have 24GB but a top end card has 64GB. so they will need to work around that.
Load times would still be longer, due to copying so much data, just not as long as the above option.

Soldato
If they follow their PS4 launch then we will get a full reveal next month, quickly followed by first party reveals - these are the ones we really care about, these are the exclusives.
Pre-orders should open up soon afterwards and then we just wait for the official release date.

Soldato
I personally don't see hard drive space as that much of an issue, but if they came out with a 2tb+ size as standard, the console would just be too expensive. Would be interesting though if you could add in storage in the form of an nvme drive rather than a normal spinner/2.5 inch ssd.

Soldato
I personally don't see hard drive space as that much of an issue, but if they came out with a 2tb+ size as standard, the console would just be too expensive. Would be interesting though if you could add in storage in the form of an nvme drive rather than a normal spinner/2.5 inch ssd.

Think that's the plan, no 2.5 SSD will keep up but some nvme 2 drives are there or there abouts. I think it will be some kind of removable panel like you see on laptops, with a slot for a nvme 2 drive.

Soldato
I'm still using the 1TB space on my PS4 not needed an external either.

I tend to only struggle for space on PC but that's cause I install everything and at times never play the games on console I tend to only install what am playing at the time

Man of Honour
I'm still using the 1TB space on my PS4 not needed an external either.

I tend to only struggle for space on PC but that's cause I install everything and at times never play the games on console I tend to only install what am playing at the time

PS5 games will be larger if you don’t have partial installs. The texture sizes will be much larger than on PS4.

Soldato
PS5 games will be larger if you don’t have partial installs. The texture sizes will be much larger than on PS4.
That's what I thought but apparently on current console game there is a some duplicated assets so they can be accessed more quickly from the slower drive, next gen will remove the need for that as the drives will be fast enough to read everything anyway

Caporegime
Sony said they are looking at specific models of PCIe Gen 4.0 NVMe SSDs for compatibility with the PS5. You can add your own but they need to be approved by Sony in terms of size, heat, heatsink height, etc. and need to read data around 7GB/sec. So it's going to cost an arm and a leg initially.

How about 2TB for a cool £470 - probably the same as the console itself - and this is only 5GB/sec so still too slow.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aoru...-state-drive-gp-asm2ne6200tttd-hd-00a-gi.html

Associate
I can't remember where I read it but some of the current gen games that have 40gb+ installs would only need to be around 15gb with the new storage system, as there won't be any duplicated texture data.

That makes the storage go so much further even with higher res texture data meaning bigger files in the first place. I only struggle with 1tb in my PS4 when I have a couple of very large games (ie Destiny 2 and Fallout 76) hogging space and then being lazy with games I should complete or VR stuff I don't get near often.

Caporegime
Will texture sizes get bigger? I thought that was where this Kraken (PS5) and BCpack (Xbox) came in for compression of such things? Is there any need to go bigger than 4096x4096 textures that we see now? They just need to be more photorealistic, don't they?

Soldato
I can't remember where I read it but some of the current gen games that have 40gb+ installs would only need to be around 15gb with the new storage system, as there won't be any duplicated texture data.

I appreciate it's just something you've read elsewhere, but there is absolutely no way that is true. We might see modest reductions in like-for-like comparisons but realistically, PC games don't have to duplicate data and they're huge too.

The games will be bigger, there is no avoiding it really. Compression will help, lack of duplication will help and being able to opt-out of certain modes (if this feature is easily implemented) will help but ultimately these things will only reduce how big the games get rather than see them become smaller.

Associate
PC games are huge because they do have to duplicate date too. It was linked around the Mark Cerney interview. The data needs to be duplicated to reduce search times caused by spinning mechanical drives.

Back
Top Bottom