Virgin Media Discussion Thread

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Ok so my halved download speed issue is now fixed. It wasn't VM after all and I owe them an apology!

AC68U_NAT.jpg

Turns out NAT acceleration on my router was disabled even though it was set to Auto (on) on the dropdown. I set it to manually disabled then back to Auto and after it rebooted itself, the router now showed CTF and flow control were enabled, it showed acceleration was being done by the CPU which means you won't get more than around 220Mbps down on a higher end router whilst 150-180 is more typical on others.

The only thing I'd really done was a recent router firmware update as the changelog pointed to security fixes and code updates but I'd never had an issue before like this and didn't even register in my mind to expect this kind of issue, and coincidentally it was around the time VM had network issues anyway so without knowing the above I attributed the speed issue to VM. Food for thought for anyone else who has a similar speed issue in future!

Much better!

VMSpeedIsBackYay.jpg

Soldato
I think at the moment you can only get the SH4 if you upgrade to the gigabit package. :)

Indeed. They steadfastly refused to supply one to me to replace the rubbish SH3 so I said I’m leaving which they’ve agreed to.

Ordered 500/70 FTTP for £6/month more and cannot wait for July!

Im getting huge packet drop periods when the number of open connections reaches some kind of threshold that the SH3 simply can’t deal with.

A firmware update earlier this year made the situation untenable, it was acceptable before but now unacceptable.

Senior engineer said almost certainly the hub is the problem and he’s solved it in other situations by going back to the SH2/AC or business router.

Soldato
I’ve been out of contract with Virgin for almost a year now and I’m paying £56 for the basic TiVo, talk weekend and 100Mb. I don’t use the TV or Phone. I’ve spoken to them today and they said I can get rid of TV and phone and just stick with the 100Mb for £37 a month. They also said £42 for 200Mb or £47 for 300Mb.

How do those prices sound? I am keen to increase the speed of the internet but I’ve just seen I could decrease it to an average of 67Mb and pay just £22 a month!

Soldato
I'm on something like £60 just for 200mb internet nothing else. So yeah, if they offered me £42 I'd take it!

Oh man! You need to get in touch with Virgin and get that sorted :eek:

I just seen you could get 300Mb for £43 as a new customer - Couldn’t I just cancel and rejoin? :p

Soldato
tried, they just told me to suck it up or leave. I have to be able to remote work so I can't leave without a viable alternative, and with only adsl on offer I have no alternative!

Caporegime
What's more likely to be slowed if Virgin does so/struggling? I've noticed my upload speeds are terrible this past week or two. Getting 150-200 for download which is right but every time I test it, I struggle to get more than 5 for upload and it should be nearer 20.

Soldato
I think I’m going to bite the bullet and cancel. Just hope they call me back begging me to stay with a decent deal :p
When I cancelled last year, they didn't call me back. They just let me go. I wasn't trying to call their bluff though, I actually wanted to leave. But they still didn't call.

Soldato
When I cancelled last year, they didn't call me back. They just let me go. I wasn't trying to call their bluff though, I actually wanted to leave. But they still didn't call.
If they don't call back he can always ring them before the end of the 30 days, and say "I've been shopping around with Sky/EE/whomever but I'd really prefer to stay with you if I can. What can you offer me?". Make sure it's through to 'Thinking of leaving us' (retentions) as they have more power than first line - but not as much as the people who ring you back (if they call).

Back
Top Bottom