What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
1917 - 10/10

Best new film I've watched in a long time, stunning visuals, compelling story and that Atmos sound track.

Some genuine edge of the seat moments and while some of the WWI imagery was probably toned down a bit, that first 20 minutes or so crossing No Man's Land with shattered bodies and machinery embedded in the scorched earth is not something I will forget in a hurry.

And moral of story -
If a Bosch biplane pilot crashes next to you, leave him to burn in the wreckage...

Soldato
Life - 1999

Although it didn't review very well, I enjoyed it. The story might be a little clichéd, but it drew me in. I'm generally not a fan of Martin Lawrence, but I thought he played his role well.

7/10

Soldato
Mission Impossible: Fallout

10/10

Incredible. Already seen it a couple of times, but I was glued to the screen the entire time (and it's a damn long film :p).

I hope Cruise continues for another 30 years :p

Soldato
Sicario - 7½/10

Enjoyable movie, although seemed a little simple of an ending for all the build up it had.

**EDIT**

This morning I have just realised I've seen the sequel already. I watched it January... I didn't realise!

Sicario - 8/10

I can see why it was on many people 'Top 10 of the decade' list. If I'd realised it was on Netflix, with subs when they spoke Spanish, I might have enjoyed it more than the... private screening I started watching. I realised later on and switched! Very good movie though. I was expecting more about drug cartels etc, but it's not really about them. It's about the one mission they have to run to set up a drug war. Very good.

This was actually 'Sicario: The Day of the Saldado'!

Last edited:
Soldato
Sicario - 7½/10

Enjoyable movie, although seemed a little simple of an ending for all the build up it had.

The simplicity of the ending is to it's strength in my opinion, it avoids Hollywood gung-ho guns blazing culminations and opts for a more soft ending which fits to the story and Kates journey.

You've also had a bit of mystery around the Sicario himself diminished by watching the sequel first (albeit accidentally) I feel. If you have a bit of time to kill...watch/read a few articles online about how Kate is actually the villain of the piece. :)

The cinematography is stunning...the scene where they descend into the mine is like something straight out of a chilling horror movie. The use of sound, especially when they cross over the border and return on the bridge unnerves me and makes me feel sick with anticipation, despite watching multiple times, again to the movies strength.

It does feature the holy trinity of director, cinematographer and composer...Denis Villeneuve, Roger Deakins and Jóhann Jóhannsson...shame we'll never see a collaboration like that again.

I really do like Sicario, I think it's a modern masterpiece, to me it's near perfect and it sits in my top 10 movies of all time, the sequel would just about scrape into a top 100 perhaps. The sequel while a decent stand alone movie doesn't add or improve anything on the first movie.

Have you watched the other movies in Taylor Sheridans Frontier trilogy...Hell Or High Water and Wind River?

Soldato
No, you would recommend them, I assume?

Well, you might tell i'm a little impressed with Sheridans writing work, he did actually write Sicario 2, it just had a different director :D

I do recommend, Sheridan is slow paced and deliberate with his writing but has well crafted characters and solid story telling.

He's also co-created a series called Yellowstone with Kevin Costner that i've yet to watch.

If you've ever seen Sons Of Anarchy he was an actor in that as Deputy Chief David Hale.

Man of Honour
Mission Impossible: Fallout

10/10

Incredible. Already seen it a couple of times, but I was glued to the screen the entire time (and it's a damn long film :p).

I hope Cruise continues for another 30 years :p

I think it's one of the best action films ever made.

I watched it a few weeks back, which must be at least the sixth time.

Soldato
Turned this off halfway through as son had fallen asleep and I was bored. :p

Haha :D There are people that can’t stand these sorts of films, and I totally get it :p My dad is one of them, he can’t stand James Bond and the overthetop-ness of it all :p

I think it's one of the best action films ever made.

I watched it a few weeks back, which must be at least the sixth time.

Totally agree, so goooood :D
Might watch Rogue Nation tonight...

Man of Honour
Might watch Rogue Nation tonight...

"The package is on the plane."

I absolutely love the opening to this film.

Everytime I watch it I can't stop laughing, because Tom is just there hanging on to the side of the a plane while it takes off.

No cgi or a stunt double, just a safety harness.

Hat's off to Mr Cruise for all of the stunts he does himself. And he can sprint like a champ.

Soldato
"The package is on the plane."

I absolutely love the opening to this film.

Everytime I watch it I can't stop laughing, because Tom is just there hanging on to the side of the a plane while it takes off.

Haha so good :D I actually watched that whole scene last week as I was testing a data connection, and I had a big grin on my face the entire scene :p

Soldato
Timetrap 7/10

Pretty enjoyable film. Story centres around a group of students looking for their tutor who goes missing in a cave where time works differently.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom