• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Do you ever replace your aio?

Associate
Im on a h100igtx and I recently delidded my 6700k since it was getting rather toasty at stock, this made a huge difference and dropped average of 20c, since then I have oc my cpu to 4.6 at 1.32v and its been fine, however since the new cpus seem rather **** for gaming id rather hold onto my 6700k for another 2 years then upgrade, (my 6700k was stable at 4.9 but needed 1.44v and the temps were outrageous) however I got the chip at launch and my aio slightly before and its now 5 years old, should I have faith in the old girl to make it too 7 years? or drop cash and get a x63 say? With a 280 rad I should be able to get 4.9 and keep temps in check?

tldr : aio no warranty left
5 year old aio, have faith it will last for another 2 or replace?
4.6ghz vs 4.9 performance (6700k gaming)
yolo and buy kraken x63?

Caporegime
The fluid inside AIO's can and often does slowly permeate into the tubes reducing the levels, that will affect temperatures. 5 to 7 years is not too soon for low fluids inside AIO's, my NZXT packed up after 5 years, i opened it up to look inside... it ground the bearings down into a pulp that blocked the micro fins, it did this because the bump was running intermittently semi dry from low fluid levels.

Associate
OP
The fluid inside AIO's can and often does slowly permeate into the tubes reducing the levels, that will affect temperatures. 5 to 7 years is not too soon for low fluids inside AIO's, my NZXT packed up after 5 years, i opened it up to look inside... it ground the bearings down into a pulp that blocked the micro fins, it did this because the bump was running intermittently semi dry from low fluid levels.
hmmm seems like a new aio will be worth it, wont be selling the 6700k either, eventually it will be passed down and live on through the family and if its still alive in 5 years I very much doubt the h100igtx will too lol

Soldato
I ment it in terms of gaming performance from years past, look at the benchmarks from a 6700k to a 3900x the performance increase is pretty a ****** increase in terms of a 5 year cpu gap, outside of gaming its a different story I know

Games performance is limited by the GPU though, and the fact that most games currently only use 4 cores. That is changing though.

Soldato
5-6 years seems the go to figure for replacement from what I've seen. I wouldn't personally fully trust one after 6+ although people do run them for longer. It's more the pump and the fluid as opposed to the fans like with air.

Soldato
why would the fluid permeat through the rubber or fluid dry out? never heard of this and there is no science behind it. water molecules are not small enough to permeat through rubber at molecular level. certainly the chemicals they put into the water don't react with rubber either. if eveything is air sealed then there is no reason for liquid level to dry out. inside the tube is effectively pressurised so even the likes CO2 which CAN permeat through rubber cannot get through due to pressure.

If there is a small air gap developing in one of the junctions however resulting in tiny tiny leak over time then yes, it will reduce water levels and dry out.

However I think the main problem is really not water drying out or anything aforemention, the crux of it all is the oxidation of the cold plate. while the water and the additive chemicals are meant to be non-corrosive and in a AIO there shouldn't be any air ie oxygen the metal should be completely protected. but this is never the case. the water is likely to have certain amount of ionised oxygen modelucles in it. and there may well be impurities in the water that catalyse the reaction or even trapped air within the system. so over time the corrosion of the metal will cause residual build up which will eventually cause blockage and/or pump failure.

Caporegime
why would the fluid permeat through the rubber or fluid dry out? never heard of this and there is no science behind it. water molecules are not small enough to permeat through rubber at molecular level. certainly the chemicals they put into the water don't react with rubber either. if eveything is air sealed then there is no reason for liquid level to dry out. inside the tube is effectively pressurised so even the likes CO2 which CAN permeat through rubber cannot get through due to pressure.

If there is a small air gap developing in one of the junctions however resulting in tiny tiny leak over time then yes, it will reduce water levels and dry out.

However I think the main problem is really not water drying out or anything aforemention, the crux of it all is the oxidation of the cold plate. while the water and the additive chemicals are meant to be non-corrosive and in a AIO there shouldn't be any air ie oxygen the metal should be completely protected. but this is never the case. the water is likely to have certain amount of ionised oxygen modelucles in it. and there may well be impurities in the water that catalyse the reaction or even trapped air within the system. so over time the corrosion of the metal will cause residual build up which will eventually cause blockage and/or pump failure.

It does happen, takes 5 minutes to look into it....

Soldato
I replaced my last one only cause I wanted a new one that has a lcd screen on the pump

I've heard of people keeping them for 10 years, the only thing that would force you to upgrade is if the pump dies and quite a few AIOs now come with 5 year warranties

Soldato
I keep hearing the pump noise is annoying so i've stuck with noctua air coolers, latest one is £95 which is silly expensive.

Ive heard this too but I've now owned two AIOs, one thermaltake and one Gigabyte (both are just rebranded Asetek gen 5 and 7) designs and in both cases I could not hear the pump even at max rpm - I have several case fans spinning at 1000rpm and they drown out any sound from the AIO.

the only sound my case fans can't drown out is when my graphics card fans get to 3000rpm, I'm going to replace my air cooled Gpu with an aio Gpu when I next upgrade - my experience is that water/aio is quieter than air in high performance applications which is all my pc is used for, but I suppose if someone Is running entry or mid range parts than using air coolers with fans set to 600rpm would be quieter than aio/water BUT you can't get those rpm with high performance parts - when your cpu is pulling 250w and your Gpu is pulling 350w, it's impossible to air cool it and be quiet

Last edited:
Soldato
It does happen, takes 5 minutes to look into it....
Can’t find any citation on water permeability through rubber.

i know rubber is not very good at containing gases due to the gas atoms or molecules are smaller than the molecular structure of the polymer therefore they can seep through.

Some rubbers cannot hold organic liquid like petrol or oil as it gets dissolved. But I never heard anything about water especially distilled water.

anyway happy to be proved wrong. Rubber is widely used as waterproofing products in building industry as well as cars, plants or sorts. So I would imagine it is pretty impervious to water penetration. Lots of seals and gaskets are made from rubber.

Soldato

i know rubber is not very good at containing gases due to the gas atoms or molecules are smaller than the molecular structure of the polymer therefore they can seep through.

Some rubbers cannot hold organic liquid like petrol or oil as it gets dissolved. But I never heard anything about water especially distilled water.

anyway happy to be proved wrong. Rubber is widely used as waterproofing products in building industry as well as cars, plants or sorts. So I would imagine it is pretty impervious to water penetration. Lots of seals and gaskets are made from rubber.

If water leaked through rubber many cars would just be leaking out and leaking in cause rubber seals are used everywhere

Associate

It isn't just water that is in the fluid and you didn't look hard enough for rubber permeability

Back
Top Bottom