• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
:D:D:D:D:D

In before those that slated AMD for power usage say it no longer matters.

In a serious note it never really mattered that much as long as the card is cool and quiet.

Power usage no (within practical limits), performance per watt yes

Would 320w be so bad if it offered double the rasterization performance (unlike but just saying) and the rumoured 4 times the RT performance? but I know context escapes people in the modern world

The PCIE version of the A100 has 90% of the performance of the SXM4 version (performance at no cost) but at only 60% of the power.

So I'm sure it be fine.

Caporegime
In a serious note it never really mattered that much as long as the card is cool and quiet.

Which is a rarity on a reference card to say the least. I dunno why they even bother with reference designs these days, compared to third party cards they're always going to run slower, louder and hotter and it's not really showcasing the gpu in it's best light.

Really baffles me how AMD or NVIDIA seemingly can't make a reference design that's as good as third party cards, they come up with coolers that LOOK good (2080 cooler and radeon 7) but performance on them is "meh". Not sure if it's about not annoying their partners more so than it's about form over function.

Soldato

Would 320w be so bad if it offered double the rasterization performance (unlike but just saying) and the rumoured 4 times the RT performance? but I know context escapes people in the modern world

The PCIE version of the A100 has 90% of the performance of the SXM4 version (performance at no cost) but at only 60% of the power.

So I'm sure it be fine.

Still does not matter to me. I look at the price and performance i am getting. If my PC is up to the task and the cooler can easily handle it i will buy the card. I am using one of the most power hungry cards ever and my electricity bill is £1200 per month. I just tell her it's the dishwasher.

Seriously though if i stuck a gtx1080 in my PC i would likely not see much if any difference each month.

Which is a rarity on a reference card to say the least. I dunno why they even bother with reference designs these days, compared to third party cards they're always going to run slower, louder and hotter and it's not really showcasing the gpu in it's best light.

Really baffles me how AMD or NVIDIA seemingly can't make a reference design that's as good as third party cards, they come up with coolers that LOOK good (2080 cooler and radeon 7) but performance on them is "meh". Not sure if it's about not annoying their partners more so than it's about form over function.

I guess if they do that then the aib's don't have much to offer but i agree they could do a lot better especially AMD.

Permabanned

The reference cooler on my titan is surprisingly quiet... I was lazy when building this one & never did the full loop... but found the reference titan t cooler to be really good

Caporegime
The reference cooler on my titan is surprisingly quiet... I was lazy when building this one & never did the full loop... but found the reference titan t cooler to be really good

It's not bad but it still suffers from not being able to maintain the clocks a third party cooler can, if you want to clock it up you need to crank the fan up.

Soldato
Still does not matter to me. I look at the price and performance i am getting. If my PC is up to the task and the cooler can easily handle it i will buy the card. I am using one of the most power hungry cards ever and my electricity bill is £1200 per month. I just tell her it's the dishwasher.

Seriously though if i stuck a gtx1080 in my PC i would likely not see much if any difference each month.

I guess if they do that then the aib's don't have much to offer but i agree they could do a lot better especially AMD.

Funny you should say that but after going from the 1080ti to my Vega 64 and from 4790k to 3600x my power bill has actually dropped by almost a third(seriously). I tell her it's because of upgrading often and careful choice of hardware :p

Soldato

£1200 a month man what do you use it on I might live alone in a 2 bed but i pay 57pm (gas and electric)

HRL

HRL

Soldato
It’s probably been debated a million times already, but running things at 4K native I don’t think I’ve ever seen a single game come close to using the 11Gb on my 2080Ti.

Why the disappointment at only 12Gb?

Soldato

The primary design concern on the reference card is it fitting in to OEM cases, most of which have pretty poor airflow and so for the longest time we were stuck with blower cards to vent the hot air as the PC case itself most likely wouldn't. They finally seem to be moving away from that, but Nvidia still have a size constraint to fit within. AIB's almost always have a "reference like" design with the same concerns but then they can also service the DIY market.

Soldato

So I'm sure it be fine.
I think you will be lucky to get a 35% uplift on the 3080ti going on nvidia's last round of Gpus.

Back
Top Bottom