What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Any certain pieces you recommend about Kate being the villain?

You know what, since I posted that I went back to watch the Kate as a villain video again and it's not as clear I remembered, more just a different view. The villain aspect more comes down to her reluctance to change perspective or adapt to the change in the way the 'war on drugs' needs to be fought.

This is the original video and most articles are based on it.

Man of Honour
@Nitefly Have you seen 'It Follows'? I highly recommend that if you haven't.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3235888/

Also, Prisoners is another good movie.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1392214/

Can heartily recommend this too, one of the best horrors of the last decade.
I haven’t seen It Follows but I’ll have to check it out - my partner has seen it but I’ve twisted her arm to view it later today :)

Likewise, I haven’t seen Prisoner, thanks for the recommendations!

@arc@css I just watched The Silence. It’s very similar to other ‘be quiet / don’t look’ films like Bird Box and A Quiet Place, so much so that having seen those first there’s nothing particularly fresh about it to me. I also thought the set up of ‘unlimited monsters in a cave’ felt a little beyond belief. This time, unlike A Quiet Place, the monsters felt consistently threatening and their abilities weren’t toned down to suit the plot.

Still, it was nevertheless quite watchable so I thought it was unfortunate that it came to an end quite so soon before it explored more ideas. Actually, most of the film we were commenting on the ultra-calm, handsome dad - surprised he didn’t take on the monsters with his fists and subtly chiselled looks :D

If you like these sorts of films and fancy a monster-less version of the ‘be quiet’ concept, check out ‘Don’t Breathe’. I thought that was surprisingly tense for the concept. It was also my favourite of the aforementioned films by quite some way, although I wonder whether that’s because I saw it first.

Soldato
If you like these sorts of films and fancy a monster-less version of the ‘be quiet’ concept, check out ‘Don’t Breathe’. I thought that was surprisingly tense for the concept. It was also my favourite of the aforementioned films by quite some way, although I wonder whether that’s because I saw it first.

Don't Breathe is another great movie. I think Fede Alvarez as a director will peak with something truly classic in a few years. He doesn't have a lot of movies under his belt but along with Don't Breathe, his remake of Evil Dead was remarkably well made.

Caporegime
I haven’t seen It Follows but I’ll have to check it out - my partner has seen it but I’ve twisted her arm to view it later today :)

Likewise, I haven’t seen Prisoner, thanks for the recommendations!

@arc@css I just watched The Silence. It’s very similar to other ‘be quiet / don’t look’ films like Bird Box and A Quiet Place, so much so that having seen those first there’s nothing particularly fresh about it to me. I also thought the set up of ‘unlimited monsters in a cave’ felt a little beyond belief. This time, unlike A Quiet Place, the monsters felt consistently threatening and their abilities weren’t toned down to suit the plot.

Still, it was nevertheless quite watchable so I thought it was unfortunate that it came to an end quite so soon before it explored more ideas. Actually, most of the film we were commenting on the ultra-calm, handsome dad - surprised he didn’t take on the monsters with his fists and subtly chiselled looks :D

I also thought The Silence ended a bit abruptly and although the other silence related/type films of late haven't, at least so far, managed to draw me in, I found this one to be fine for a one-off viewing. I might check out some others in the near future.

I really hope you enjoy It Follows, it's one of the best horror/mystery/thriller films I've ever seen! ;)

Soldato
"Legend of Zorro" tonight after "The Mask of Zorro" last week. Mask is far more swashbuckling and fun than Legend and I can see why there wasn't a third. Catherine Zeta Jones is gorgeous in both and my kids were shocked to find out that Banderas not only voiced Puss in Boots but that it's based on these films.
Next week we start "The Mummy" trilogy.

Soldato
I watched It Follows tonight, last time I watched it, it was when it came out in 2014. A few have mentioned it here so thought I'd watch again.

I liked it the first time around, nice cinematography and soundtrack. I still think so.

But damn, this second watch.. plot holes really spoil it for me and I mark it down for it.

The character Hugh (who passes the curse to Jay right at the start) says that he picked up the curse from a one night stand from some randomer he met in a bar, there's no explanation on how he knows how the curse works. He was obviously smashed out of his nut and didn't even get her name.. but somehow knows all about the curse and how to avoid death from it.

Soldato
The character Hugh (who passes the curse to Jay right at the start) says that he picked up the curse from a one night stand from some randomer he met in a bar, there's no explanation on how he knows how the curse works. He was obviously smashed out of his nut and didn't even get her name.. but somehow knows all about the curse and how to avoid death from it.

In regards to It Follows, this has been brought up before by others and I admit, I thought the same when I watched it. But an AMA on reddit with the director sort of cleared things up

Short version

Hugh gets the curse, passes it to his girlfriend, she gets killed, curse reverts back to Hugh, this could have been across days/weeks and he's learnt about it

Longer version :)

https://movies.stackexchange.com/qu...known-the-rules-of-the-creature-in-it-follows

Soldato
Gemini Man 5/10 average action flick. Lazy film making, too much CGI when real effects should have been used. Maybe 10 years ago Will Smith was in the Tom Cruise bracket but apart from the occasional exception he’s made lazy indulgent films. Plot not good enough, directing not good enough. Tom Cruise only makes the best films with quality scripts and inspired directors (Jack Reacher 2 excepted) does practical effects that look great but take effort and filmed on location. The difference shows in the final product.

Caporegime
@arc@css assuming you've seen Autopsy Of Jane Doe? if so, how does the above compare?

Not seen it, I might take a gander at it tonight, cheers. :)

Regarding Hannah Grace, it was pretty fair with a memorable beginning but as far as I'm concerned, nothing to write home about.

Edit: seen it now. Much the same as the other one, it's okay but doesn't do much for me. At least Brian Cox was in this one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom