Looking for an MMO to play, suggestions?

Soldato
Thought I'd see if anyone can offer some advice.

I'm a long time off and on WoW player, BFA didn't interest me and while I'd be willing to give it a try in order to scratch my current itch I'm not willing to put down £39.99 for a year old expansion that requires a sub on top. I'd consider it at £10-15 but they can get stuffed if they think I'll fork out the price of a brand new game. I had a look to see if I could find a cheap key but the legitimate resellers don't have any in stock.

I've played most mainstream MMO's to some extent over the years. My main draw is end game content, I'm not that interested in the leveling process unfortunately. I tried FF14 a year or so ago but struggled to get into it while leveling.

I'm half tempted to just sub to classic, but I'm not sure if I could stomach leveling up.

Anyone know of something with decent end game and a healthy population that I might be unaware of? Should I just grit my teeth and power through the leveling portion of classic WoW? Is it worth pushing on with FF14, does it get better?

Thanks in advance.

Man of Honour
The latter, yeah.

I tend not to differentiate as everyone who spoke about "MMO" titles back when I wasn't a grumpy middle aged git meant stuff like Everquest, WoW etc.

Blame the marketeers, most so-called MMOs arent MMOs, or if they are , then by that criteria almost every MO is an MMO

Soldato
OP
Blame the marketeers, most so-called MMOs arent MMOs, or if they are , then by that criteria almost every MO is an MMO

Yeah, agreed.

Stuff like World of Tanks and Warships aren't MMO's, a lot of people might be playing them but by that argument any game with lots of people playing could be classed as an MMO.

@Nodiggidy123 Thanks for the suggestion, tried GW in the past and couldn't get into it.

@ShortWarning I'm sorely tempted but I hate leveling up, the only thing I really care about is end game/raiding in most MMO's and I've always found the leveling process in WoW to be poor, especially so in vanilla/classic.

Soldato
Yeah, agreed.

Stuff like World of Tanks and Warships aren't MMO's, a lot of people might be playing them but by that argument any game with lots of people playing could be classed as an MMO.

@Nodiggidy123 Thanks for the suggestion, tried GW in the past and couldn't get into it.

@ShortWarning I'm sorely tempted but I hate leveling up, the only thing I really care about is end game/raiding in most MMO's and I've always found the leveling process in WoW to be poor, especially so in vanilla/classic.

I hear you. Levelling is a long old job in Classic.

I don't love levelling either most of the time, all MMOs require it though!

Soldato
OP
I hear you. Levelling is a long old job in Classic.

I don't love levelling either most of the time, all MMOs require it though!

Unfortunately!

I don't mind doing it if I know the payoff is worthwhile, but I've done all the classic content before back when it came out so I'm not sure if the slog will be worth it.

If we get a classic version of TBC I'd be all over it, mind you.

Soldato
I presume you have tried Elder Scrolls online?

It's quick to level, especially if you don't care about the story or quests.

Soldato
Could have a peek at Elder Scrolls Online. Has changed and pretty fun now. Are some issues now and then, but can be had for cheap. £12.99 nets you base game + all the chapters aside from greymoore which came out few weeks back on CD key.

There is a subscription service called ESO+. Not needed to play the game in itself however, but is valuable as it unlocks all the DLC (all the newer dungeons), gives you a crafting bag + double bank space which pretty much become pretty important. 3 months is £24.

In terms of players, its actually been growing over the years. In terms of end game content, there is Vet Dungons, newer ones are fun, Arena's and 12 man trials.

You do need to go through the level up / grind process of course as one can imagine with a MMORPG, but there is so much content, its not an issue. CP300 level will usually be fine to get into most content bar Hard Mode Vet trials. Depending on dedication, can get there in 1-2 months. I think few people on OCUK forums who jumped on game and are in OCUK guild got to CP300 pretty quick and done it in around that time.

Soldato
OP
I have a few hundred hours into TESO from when I played with a couple of friends, I enjoyed it for awhile but the play style didn't really appeal to me unfortunately and I ended up bored of it.

Thanks for the suggestions though!

I think you can see my dilemma now, lol! I've played a bunch of MMO's but most just fail to grab me.

Same thing happened with TOR for me as did with TESO, the closest I think I've got to a good WoW alternative was Rift when it first came out.

I even tried going back to Eve for a change of pace after about 8 years away but the current state of the game isn't appealing at all.

I'm really tempted to just pick up FF14 as I can get the complete for £19.99 with a month free. I struggled with aspects of it when I trialled it a year or so ago but a lot of people keep telling me the end game is great once you push through.

Soldato
OP
Sounds like you've just had enough of MMO's, scratch through the surface and in the end they're all exactlly the same thing.

Not sure if that's the case, I haven't played one for almost 3 years not counting the FF14 trial which I spent a couple of days on.

I just have an itch to scratch and fancy playing one again.

I tend to go through phases with the sorts of games I play, I've been on a JRPG binge for the past half year or so, played a bunch of online horde games prior to that.

Soldato
The latter, yeah.

I tend not to differentiate as everyone who spoke about "MMO" titles back when I wasn't a grumpy middle aged git meant stuff like Everquest, WoW etc.

While not an MMO at all, in fact not an MO even, have you played through Kingdom Come Deliverance? I thoroughly enjoyed it, as did the Mrs, and it provided a decent challenge and a some great stories. If you like graphics it also looks really decent as well, doesn't bother me but I know some people will care.

I can't think of any MMO's at all, if you still have the itch when WoW: Shadowlands comes out maybe worth ago since you'll be at the same state as everyone else. As for WoW Classic TBC yes it would be amazing, I think it was my favourite of all the expansions as it still had good challenges, a good story, and offered an open progression system with all content available to everyone from the day it launched other than the very final Sunwell patch.

Soldato
I still think you should try TESO again. It's a much different game than it was at launch. There is a lot more end game stuff now.

IT would also cost you nothing to try it out since you already have the game.

Caporegime
No idea what it's like but I couldn't help but notice an ad the other day for ArcheAge. Another one you can check out if need be.

Back
Top Bottom