Do you ever have strong opinions on OCUK Threads or User comments?

Caporegime
A lot of these people I talk of also like to make their points in extremely patronising and often sarcastic ways as though they believe they are a font of knowledge and are educating a lower class idiot. Their posting style gets people’s backs up straight away.

Soldato
LOL the number of posts I've written and then deleted before posting is a long old list :D

I try my best not to react emotionally, not always successfully to my detriment, so I often write the most "reactionary" version of a post and, by the time I've finished writing I've had a bit longer to think it through a bit more and often find that being "reactionary" isn't the best way to put across your views/opinion.

Also, even if I'm 100% behind one idea, I always try my best to see "both" (or more) sides of the argument/discussion, as I think that every side should be heard out (even if it sounds barmy) because you can't try to change someone's mind if you don't understand "why" they think the way they do. I think it's also good to challenge your own presumptions by thinking in an "opposite" way to you would usually, just to see if you can poke holes in your own original viewpoints.

My biggest concern around "discussions" really is the lack of "middle ground" nowadays. It seems to be that you MUST be either one side or another of a discussion with absolutely no leeway allowed from either side, which makes even an attempt at a debate feel almost fruitless at times.

PS - Even this took 30+ mins to write with at least 2 wholesale changes to paragraphs :D

Caporegime
A lot of these people I talk of also like to make their points in extremely patronising and often sarcastic ways as though they believe they are a font of knowledge and are educating a lower class idiot. Their posting style gets people’s backs up straight away.

We should just have a self certified 140 IQ section instead of speakers corner, with a warning about the level of social intelligence that comes with it.

Soldato
LOL the number of posts I've written and then deleted before posting is a long old list :D

I try my best not to react emotionally, not always successfully to my detriment, so I often write the most "reactionary" version of a post and, by the time I've finished writing I've had a bit longer to think it through a bit more and often find that being "reactionary" isn't the best way to put across your views/opinion.

Also, even if I'm 100% behind one idea, I always try my best to see "both" (or more) sides of the argument/discussion, as I think that every side should be heard out (even if it sounds barmy) because you can't try to change someone's mind if you don't understand "why" they think the way they do. I think it's also good to challenge your own presumptions by thinking in an "opposite" way to you would usually, just to see if you can poke holes in your own original viewpoints.

My biggest concern around "discussions" really is the lack of "middle ground" nowadays. It seems to be that you MUST be either one side or another of a discussion with absolutely no leeway allowed from either side, which makes even an attempt at a debate feel almost fruitless at times.

PS - Even this took 30+ mins to write with at least 2 wholesale changes to paragraphs :D

30 mins per post would just be tedious.

Associate
The irony is that everyone thinks it’s everyone else who is wrong :D it’s always the other person.

There are threads that I read but wont post, people with such opposing views, only ends with an argument. You can see where it's going from the off.

I apply the same logic at work, the pub, social media etc.

You will never win an argument as sigma points out, each individual sees themselves as right, whether on social, forums or in person.

Soldato
Followed by the feeling that you just can't be arsed to get involved so you don't bother posting , I wondered if it was just me or if others felt the same?

Conversation is combat on here most of the time. I'm becoming more inclined to make my point and exit the thread. The topics can be really interesting and I have conversations here that I wouldn't have with work colleagues, but honestly sometimes when you see who gets involved you just know how it's going to pan out.

The GPU forum is pretty much a no go zone right now; the threads about new GPUs are just a battleground. At least you expect it in GD.

Associate
Witnessed many an evening with family and friends, where a good evening has turned sour over an initial friendly debate.

Posting personal views with a much wider audience (forums/social) is magnifying the situation tenfold - okay you are anonymous to some degree, still, ain't worth the grief as you will never convert the already converted. You see it on a daily basis where influential individuals are scrutinised and get annihilated for sharing a view (rightly or wrongly).

Soldato
Why do people feel like they need to "win" the argument or change someone minds?

State your opinion/fact put the information on the table and let everyone else decide for themselves.

Caporegime
Just LOL if you view anything said on these forums with anything more than mild curiosity. The internet is not a contact sport, your views are almost entirely meaningless, but you do get a participation trophy for playing nicely.

Soldato
Yes. I’ve even started writing something out and just delete it after feeling like I just CBA to get involved :p

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
We need full spec emojis to get the point across better perhaps?

Nothing beats the poo emoji being thrown into the middle of a heated debate between a Trump supporter and a sane person :D

Permabanned
Just LOL if you view anything said on these forums with anything more than mild curiosity. The internet is not a contact sport, your views are almost entirely meaningless, but you do get a participation trophy for playing nicely.

How do you feel about our beloved SA melting down over its abusive POS owner?

Yes. I care very much. A forum is a public reflection of the person or company that owns it. GD is great for it's silly threads, people posting insipid crap are trash people who should aspire to be better.

Soldato
I go through phases tbh. I delete a lot of stuff before posting and edit too much.

No one really cares what my opinion is on the Internet but what I really find annoying are the baseless accusations that people throw around.

Think I'm about to take another break as I've been sucked in to arguing a bit too much lately.

Back
Top Bottom