• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Caporegime
Also the changes to do RT in Turing are relatively crude and more the nature of an add-on than the architecture built from the ground up with it - people shouldn't be surprised at a big change in efficiency when it comes to the next incarnation.

Agree, and I am a little confused as to why people are having a hard time getting their head around the concept.

Soldato
I don't play games on PC that are marketed for Nvidia. And there are plenty of games not sponsored by them? You don't say :eek:. To be fair, I've not read that those games were played below 1080p, below 30fps.
https://wccftech.com/cyberpunk-2077...dlss-2-0-enabled-on-an-rtx-2080ti-powered-pc/

The reason why I would choose to play this game on console, if I decide to buy it, is because they must go through a validation process that will ensure that the game will run correctly.

On the flip side I quite enjoy Detroit: Become Human at 4K. Beautiful looking game.:D

Set texture to high/ultra, rest to medium and you're fine. You'll do a lot more than any console could do anyway.

BTW, some test and optimize the games for consoles so good, that they can't even keep 30fps, so yeah, good luck with that.

Soldato
The main focus of that article is the limitations of doing ray tracing on a general compute architecture (and hence why AMD is making changes to work around some of those limitations with their approach of leveraging the shaders for RT) the way nVidia are approaching it is a bit different and is a bit (though not entirely) different in terms of where the slowdowns are.

Also the changes to do RT in Turing are relatively crude and more the nature of an add-on than the architecture built from the ground up with it - people shouldn't be surprised at a big change in efficiency when it comes to the next incarnation.

Agree, and I am a little confused as to why people are having a hard time getting their head around the concept.

The memory bandwidth requirements for RT are well known and widely accepted in the industry.

Like in many other workloads, memory bandwidth is a common bottleneck in raytracing, and has been the focus of several NVIDIA Research papers. And in general, raytracing workloads result in very irregular and random memory accesses, mainly due to incoherent rays, that prove especially problematic for how GPUs typically utilize their memory.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13282/nvidia-turing-architecture-deep-dive/5

Man of Honour
The memory bandwidth requirements for RT are well known and widely accepted in the industry.

Yes but there is more to the story than what your post was suggesting. The amount that memory is a bottleneck differs between the different approaches and there are other ways to gain performance increases and optimisations without being road blocked by needing a big jump in memory specification. For instance from that article:

"The RT Core also handles some grouping and scheduling of memory operations for maximizing memory throughput across multiple rays."

There is also the effectiveness of utilisation of existing bandwidth - hence one of the reasons nVidia have taken a different approach and AMD are making changes to how their shaders work with memory for their approach.

Last edited:
Associate
3070, Control, Cyberpunk 2077, Metro Exodus is my current 'to buy' list. Expensive business these PC things :)

Actually holding back from playing those games on 5700 XT at 1440p anyway.

Caporegime
So mid then :p
High end doesn't mean just one card, it's a range of performance classification with its own lower and upper end.

Hell, all of the RTX series including the 2060 are technically high end cards to varying degrees. As enthusiasts, our views of what actually constitutes high end can become warped over time. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
High end doesn't mean just one card, it's a range of performance classification with its own lower and upper end.

Hell, all of the RTX series including the 2060 are technically high end cards to varying degrees. As enthusiasts, our views of what actually constitutes high end can become warped over time. :D

I just googled rtx 2060and on the first page of results, every result was reviews saying "midrange" and two retailer websites with links to "midrange gaming PC's". So if all the reviewers and retailers are calling it midrange, what makes ypu think it should be called high end?

I mean, gaming graphics cards start at £100 and run to north of £1000, so what about a £300 card isn't "midrange"?

Caporegime
I just googled rtx 2060and on the first page of results, every result was reviews saying "midrange" and two retailer websites with links to "midrange gaming PC's". So if all the reviewers and retailers are calling it midrange, what makes ypu think it should be called high end?

I mean, gaming graphics cards start at £100 and run to north of £1000, so what about a £300 card isn't "midrange"?
I meant by the last comment that in the complete spectrum of GPU's the RTX range is all marketed as high-end and premium by Nvidia... but back to the original focus of the point, the 2070 Super is definitely considered high-end in general as it is built in high-end gaming PC's.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
An 8GB 2060 Super is the lowest of the high-end Nvidia GPU's.
Dude, 2060 is not high end full stop. Nvidia can name it whatever they want, it is just a name. It is not high end. Simple as.

If their marketing department start calling a 3050 high end next year, will that make it so? Nope, we all know it just ain’t.

Back
Top Bottom