LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

Soldato
@Dave2150

It is so responsive with pixel response and input lag and the low blur would make it seem smoother than a LCD but it is still 60 frames. OLED is super efficent at getting everything out of 60hz this is why i cannot wait for OLED 240hz in a smaller 24 inch JOLED type.

Would love one for Street Fighter, Its sort of a dream to see fighter games do 4k 120hz on these OLEDs too instead of the conventional engines based around 16ms 60hz timers.

Ah yeah, makes sense. I know it's just 60Hz/FPS, but just instantly felt way faster than that. I'm doing the alien UFO ghosting test, and can't believe the speed I'm seeing. I have several monitors here, including IPS and TN, and this feels similar to 144Hz on my TN panel (BenQ XL2730Z). Amazing, 120Hz will be an absolute sublime experience.

Nvidia will get away with monstrously overpriced 3000 series cards, especially if AMD don't release HDMI VRR support any time soon, as people (myself included) will not be able to resist!

Soldato
There are no graphics cards with HDMI 2.1 yet. LG will likely release this before/just when they do become available.

1080ti's, 2080ti's etc lack HDMI 2.1 hardware, so will never be able to do 4k 120Hz via HDMI on a LG CX. You'll need a NV 3000 series card for this.

As for AMD, they lag behind NVIDIA when it comes to VRR via HDMI, and simply haven't supported it yet. People have been complaining about this on the AMD subreddit and the AMD community forums for a long time. AMD promised this feature was "coming" over two years ago (https://www.overclock3d.net/news/gpu_displays/hdmi_2_1_vrr_support_will_come_to_amd_radeon_rx_gpus_with_a_future_driver_update/1#:~:text=Author: Mark Campbell-,HDMI 2.1 VRR support will come to AMD Radeon,with a future driver update&text=Today AMD revealed that they,refresh rates to future televisions.) but so far, no update. Very bad from AMD.

Thanks, I do know this, hence why I said the firmware update will be the end of the year. Never said 1080ti or 2080ti has or could do HDMI 2.1

Didn't know AMD couldnt do VRR via HDMI still.

So seems DP was preferred high res/high refresh option on gfx cards as it has the bandwidth (NOW) and nearly all more recent MONITORS are shipped with DP, but TV manufacturers decided (even by the same manufacturer LG), that they couldnt mange DP as an additional connection to make their TV's truly cross TV/PC platform. Either there is a reason to keep monitors separate from TV's as a marketing exercise, or there is a difference in the way in which the technologies work. These may cost too much to implement both, or it's difficult to make work with the panel from both technologies.

Caporegime
@Dave2150

It is so responsive with pixel response and input lag and the low blur would make it seem smoother than a LCD but it is still 60 frames. OLED is super efficent at getting everything out of 60hz this is why i cannot wait for OLED 240hz in a smaller 24 inch JOLED type.

Yup that is one thing that I have been saying for years now, people always underestimate the motion with OLED, the motion clarity is far better than any high refresh rate LCD imo, even though it's "only 60HZ". 144HZ LCD, even the ones with the fastest response times and least overshoot still have this trailing/ghosting where as with OLED, it doesn't. It's very hard to explain unless people see with their own eyes.

One "downside" with OLEDs instantaneous pixel response time though..... it makes a juddery frame latency/time more noticeable since you don't have the ghosting/blur of LCD to "mask" said judder/micro stutter. That's why you always see people making comments about OLEDs motion and stutter in 24hz/fps films being "poor" compared to LCDs and plasma (outside of things like tru motion aka soap opera effect, BFI etc.)

I much prefer gaming on 60HZ OLED than 144HZ LCD monitor, yes the 144HZ LCD monitor feels ever so slightly more responsive but OLED is just superior in every other possible way.

Just need cost affordable 34" 3440x1440 21.9 free/g sync now!

Permabanned
Yup that is one thing that I have been saying for years now, people always underestimate the motion with OLED, the motion clarity is far better than any high refresh rate LCD imo, even though it's "only 60HZ". 144HZ LCD, even the ones with the fastest response times and least overshoot still have this trailing/ghosting where as with OLED, it doesn't. It's very hard to explain unless people see with their own eyes.

One "downside" with OLEDs instantaneous pixel response time though..... it makes a juddery frame latency/time more noticeable since you don't have the ghosting/blur of LCD to "mask" said judder/micro stutter. That's why you always see people making comments about OLEDs motion and stutter in 24hz/fps films being "poor" compared to LCDs and plasma (outside of things like tru motion aka soap opera effect, BFI etc.)

I much prefer gaming on 60HZ OLED than 144HZ LCD monitor, yes the 144HZ LCD monitor feels ever so slightly more responsive but OLED is just superior in every other possible way.

Just need cost affordable 34" 3440x1440 21.9 free/g sync now!

Once Black Frame Insertion matures, There probably will be 144hz 48" and my god at the clarity and motion of that. It is so good as you say film makers had no way of knowing how juddery thier filmwork was it was hidden by imperfect displays. OLED will highlight it and hopefully see a transition in movies to more stable filming. Gyrostabilizers are not good enough if you look at how film first was they filmed around long static cowboy bar scenes instead of the modern trend of quick cuts which when slightly moving all adds up to motion judder as 24p is more suited to static camera presentation or a very very slow panning.

In games though 120hz will mostly solve this certain games are at 60hz badly coded and for me only became good on my BFI VA once i had framerates over 120hz im talking about Chivalry 1 which was a juddery mess and mostly was hidden by blur to others but for me i could see it as that monitor was also like OLED sort or ahead of its time and was highlighting things content makers werent considering yet. Certainly i think that if the film team and director behind Ironclad had of looked at thier fight scenes on a BFI OLED they might of realized how bad it actually looked in reality and how it stimulated disorientation.

Last edited:
Soldato
Why not Curry's?

Customer service. I'm concerned I have issues with the panel and the RMA process turns into a nightmare.

It's also niggling at me that there's no competition therefore they have no reason to lower the price. That's not a big concern because I'd have no issue paying a couple of quid extra to have it now i.e. If I knew it would drop by £150 in December I'd still buy at the current price as it's not worth waiting all that time.

Soldato
Customer service. I'm concerned I have issues with the panel and the RMA process turns into a nightmare.

It's also niggling at me that there's no competition therefore they have no reason to lower the price. That's not a big concern because I'd have no issue paying a couple of quid extra to have it now i.e. If I knew it would drop by £150 in December I'd still buy at the current price as it's not worth waiting all that time.

pretty fair. i want the 48" 55" to bigithink for desktop use

Soldato
so i may have purchased:
LG 48CX
Monitor stand FitEYES
2x HDMI 2.1 Cables (in orange) - easier to detect ;)

Amazon Tomorrow
TV Tuesday morning

Nice, welcome to the OLED club ;)

You won't be disappointed, I've just played a few games, and I'm completely sold. Never thought it would be this good, the responsiveness is just unreal. The colours and contrast have to be experienced to believe.

As word gets out I question whether LG will be able to make enough of these. Also think there'll be huge demand for the NV 3000 series, as it will propel PC gaming to new heights with 4k 120Hz on this panel.

Soldato
@Dirk Diggler I haven't tested it, I bought this primarily as a gaming monitor, I'm sure it works though. Maybe someone else can test it?

I'm using a 80cm desk and it's fine. 90cm might be better though if you have space. From experience of going up to 40", you soon get used to a large screen, even at such close proximity.

Slightly side shot showing front edge of desk (I could move the screen back further but I haven't finished cable management):

What you'll see face on (taken from where my head is, 70cm from screen):

A few tricks/info for using a large screen:
  • Recline your chair back slightly, this helps add distance to the screen.
  • For web browsing or documents, snap windows to fill the middle 2/3rds of the screen (i.e. leaving gaps on the side) using Powertoys (free Microsoft tool). This stops you having to move your head left & right to read.
  • For games, most of the action happens in the centre of the screen. If you need to look to the left or right of the screen, you'd turn your head at maximum 10 degrees.
  • I'd recommend a custom TV stand though to allow you to both lift the screen up, and more importantly push as far back as possible to the wall. I'm using a Fitueyes but there are other cheap £25 options available. Not sure I like this one as it has a shiny tempered glass base which I'm sure is just going to collect dust :D

Hey Caff, I'm deciding whether to get the stand you mentioned, or a wall mount. Any idea how much clearance there is if I mount the panel on the lowest possible mounting point of the stand? The LG included stand leaves the panel being just 3-4cm off the desk. I'm hoping the stand lets it be this distance, or hopefully 1-2cm?

I don't want the panel any higher, so may end up wall mounting as I can then control it perfectly and get it 1cm above the desk etc. Thanks!

Associate

In my experience Curry's have been spot on with returns. Believe it or not two and a half years ago I returned 3 65 inch TV's on the bounce, a couple of them I exchanged and 1 of them I got refunded. It actually became a running joke within the family the amount of times I was re-boxing 65 inch TV's back up and jamming them back into the boot of the Leon and returning them to store. My kids still torture me about it to this day.

There was always something that didn't sit well with me with each new tv, whether it was backlight bleed, dull picture, ghosting, input lag, crap HDR, there was always a niggling something.

In the space of 12 days I'd went from an 1100 pound Panasonic to a 2500 pound Oled C7, with a Samsung series 7 and I can't remember the other one inbetween.

I found the Oled was perfect from day dot and I've never regretted the purchase of it for a second, even to this day it still brings a smile to my face when watching or playing games on it, and it's not been effected by a trace of burn in either in that time.

Anyhow, moral of the storey is, due to my own personal experience I'd not ever worry about returning a TV to them. The first one I returned they told me they couldn't help until I had phoned their helpline and asked for an rma number of sorts, so I did.

In the 5 minute call I'd always say it was backlight bleed that was the problem, their rep would then go through a few picture settings with me but I'd explain the backlight bleed was still prevalent, at that point the rep would give me the RMA number. I'd then tottle off back off to store with the tv, hand the RMA number over to a customer service assistant, and with no questions asked and no explanation necessary, they'd refund or exchange the TV. Pretty simple really albeit embarrassing after the 1st time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom