• Digital Only Version

Votes: 171 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
It's not just the price of GPUs that is daft but the PC "loses" one of its biggest advantages with the next gen consoles, the SSD.

But on the other hand, will "proper" usage of that tech be just done by Sony first party? Microsoft and most third parties will still have to cater for HDDs on PC, Xbox One and PS4 for some time.
I think digital foundry mentioned that the disc version of GTA5 on the current console streams data off the disc and the HDD simultaneously for better performance. So once this current gen is dropped (I suspect end of 2021) I fully expect all developers to make use of the SSD, PCs be damned if they can't keep.

Soldato
I think digital foundry mentioned that the disc version of GTA5 on the current console streams data off the disc and the HDD simultaneously for better performance. So once this current gen is dropped (I suspect end of 2021) I fully expect all developers to make use of the SSD, PCs be damned if they can't keep.

No - install only and then as proof of license. No streaming from disk once installed.

Soldato
No - install only and then as proof of license. No streaming from disk once installed.

Was going to say how does the digital PS4 version work in that case. :D
My mistake, they were actually referring to the PS3 version of the game. I could not find any specific info on whether the same data streaming implementation was present on PS4.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-grand-theft-auto-5-performance-analysis

Another potential cause could be hard drive access, of course. GTA 5 is very intensive in terms of background streaming, a state of affairs that made the digital download versions of the last-gen version less desirable than the physical releases (where streaming bandwidth was shared between disc and drive). To lessen the impact of any streaming bottleneck, we installed the PS4 version onto an SSD for a re-test - the results showed no improvement.

Soldato
Ah OK. Apologies. I didn't pick up the sarcasm in the "so he's got good background" comment then!

I mean - I like his prices and the current "scatter gun" technique of leaking is always clever.
I could go and create myself the site comepreorderaps5withme.com and put all those prices on. I maybe as good as 75% right, but it's all from using the "collective knowledge of strangers" all making their guesses.

Caporegime
These new consoles are going to put the final nail in the coffin for PC gaming.
nVidia potentially charging £550 for their new mid-range GPU won't help either ;)

It won't kill PC gaming but it will make it pretty niche, if current pricing trends in the GPU space are not reversed. Which I see little evidence for.

Associate
nVidia potentially charging £550 for their new mid-range GPU won't help either ;)

It won't kill PC gaming but it will make it pretty niche, if current pricing trends in the GPU space are not reversed. Which I see little evidence for.
I think 700 pounds is enough for a graphics card but Nvidia charging over a thousand is a joke now and why most of the best games are on consoles PC just gets the scraps.

Associate
The PS5 Digital coming out at £349 would be a very aggressive move.

I'm betting the PS5 and Series X cost the same amount, owing to lessons learnt from the PS3 and Xbox One launches. To this end, an "All Digital Edition" Series X seems probable. But where does that leave "Project Lockhart", if it exists? The "Series S" console wouldn't seem good value at £249 against the far more powerful PS5 and Series X at £349. Yet £199 seems implausibly cheap.

I don't believe this "leak" for a moment though to be honest. The leaker in question doesn't seem to have a good track record. But it'll be very interesting to see where prices wind up.
I have a feeling the new xbox will be cheaper a more powerful console and potentially better launch games will really make people think about getting the new xbox.

Associate
Not with ray tracing taking off. PCs needed for the extra grunt. Just one example.
Ray tracing has not really taken off as it most people turn it off on PC its not worth the hit to FPS and the visual difference is not worth it either a few reflections on some water no thanks.

Associate
It's going to be interesting finding out how much AMD and Nvidia charge for new cards, especially so when you have the new and improved consoles coming out that are going to likely be very competitive in terms of pricing.

Soldato
It's going to be interesting finding out how much AMD and Nvidia charge for new cards, especially so when you have the new and improved consoles coming out that are going to likely be very competitive in terms of pricing.
It's got to cause drops, if (I know unliekley) the ps5 or Xbox or even and themselves, had the power of a 2080ti prices would have to drop. I'm just wondering if I can get away with getting a 3 and 6 year old a ps5 then hogging it in my mancave:D.

Soldato
I guess this is likely to be a pretty partisan thread but as someone who's continually owned/built/upgraded a high spec gaming pc over the past 25 years I'm at the point where the cost of decent PC components is so high and the difference in quality/experience/features between console/pc so miniscule (IMO) I wouldn't buy/build another PC for gaming unless the market shifts dramatically in the next few years.

I'm sure I'm not from the only person looking at the cost of PC components and thinking it's not worth it anymore.

To me that's the key issue. Most people might be willing to spend £400-500 on a console to play a few games whereas I suspect most wouldnt contemplate spending £500+ on a GPU or £1000-2000 on a PC. Especially in the current climate where everyone is nervous about their jobs.

Last edited:
Soldato
I guess this is likely to be a pretty partisan thread but as someone who's continually owned/built/upgraded a high spec gaming pc over the past 25 years I'm at the point where the cost of decent PC components is so high and the difference in quality/experience/features between console/pc so miniscule (IMO) I wouldn't buy/build another PC for gaming unless the market shifts dramatically in the next few years.

I'm sure I'm not from the only person looking at the cost of PC components and thinking it's not worth it anymore.

This.

I bought a new PC 6 or 7 years ago, 5960x, 32gb RAM, 980 SLI (now a single 1080ti, my only upgrades have been from SSD to NVME and to the 1080ti) and it cost me upwards of £3,000. Over that period of time I've played more on my Xbox and PS4 than I have on my PC. Even cross platform games, most my friends play on consoles. So for the social aspect of gaming my purchases have always gone the way of the consoles.

PC gaming has become more of an elite club in the last few years with the cost of GPU's sky rocketing and Intel/Nvidia dominating/milking the market. I intend on keeping up tradition and getting both PS5 and XSX on launch. What I don't see however is purchasing a new top of the range PC any time soon. Once this one eventually fails on core components I will probably end up selling the parts and getting a high end laptop for work.

Soldato
Nvidia must be pondering what to do. Because I suspect if they release a new 3070/3080 later this year at similar/increased pricing to the 2070/2080 they'll seriously struggle to shift them IMO.

Especially if they launch alongside a newly released PS5/XBsX.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Nvidia must be pondering what to do. Because I suspect if they release a new 3070/3080 later this year at similar/increased pricing to the 2070/2080 they'll seriously struggle to shift them IMO.

Especially if they launch alongside a newly released PS5/XBsX.
Not according to people on this forum. Apparently even with competition from AMD/consoles and a recession, Nvidia will further increase prices and they will sell MOAR! Lol.

Soldato
The PC market isn't homogenous. When you look at the most popular games on Steam, it's CS:GO, DOTA2, PUBG, Siege. And elsewhere, WoW, Fortnite, Crossfire, League of Legends, Minecraft, Overwatch, APEX. The Steam Hardware Survey suggests ~80% of PCs used for gaming have a GPU that's less powerful than an RTX 2060.

Consoles aren't really competing with the above. The player numbers for CS:GO will barely move when the PS5 and XSX launch. But where the consoles will have an impact is on people looking to buy a new GPU for Cyberpunk (for example). Storage poses something of an issue too. We may be a year or two away from multiplatform developers having to choose between forcing up-to-date storage hardware, or skipping the PC entirely.

I don't think the new consoles will "kill" PC gaming. But pretending they'll have no effect is daft.

Back
Top Bottom