• Digital Only Version

Votes: 170 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 659 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.6%

• Total voters
Associate
The PC market isn't homogenous. When you look at the most popular games on Steam, it's CS:GO, DOTA2, PUBG, Siege. And elsewhere, WoW, Fortnite, Crossfire, League of Legends, Minecraft, Overwatch, APEX. The Steam Hardware Survey suggests ~80% of PCs used for gaming have a GPU that's less powerful than an RTX 2060.

Consoles aren't really competing with the above. The player numbers for CS:GO will barely move when the PS5 and XSX launch. But where the consoles will have an impact is on people looking to buy a new GPU for Cyberpunk (for example). Storage poses something of an issue too. We may be a year or two away from multiplatform developers having to choose between forcing up-to-date storage hardware, or skipping the PC entirely.

I don't think the new consoles will "kill" PC gaming. But pretending they'll have no effect is daft.
Interesting point on the common GPU's from Steam. Do you have a link to read more ?

Soldato
The PC market isn't homogenous. When you look at the most popular games on Steam, it's CS:GO, DOTA2, PUBG, Siege. And elsewhere, WoW, Fortnite, Crossfire, League of Legends, Minecraft, Overwatch, APEX. The Steam Hardware Survey suggests ~80% of PCs used for gaming have a GPU that's less powerful than an RTX 2060.

Consoles aren't really competing with the above. The player numbers for CS:GO will barely move when the PS5 and XSX launch. But where the consoles will have an impact is on people looking to buy a new GPU for Cyberpunk (for example). Storage poses something of an issue too. We may be a year or two away from multiplatform developers having to choose between forcing up-to-date storage hardware, or skipping the PC entirely.

I don't think the new consoles will "kill" PC gaming. But pretending they'll have no effect is daft.

I think it's easy to forget on these forums that very few of us represent your average PC user/gamer. Most people are happy with low to mid range hardware, whereas I'd say a lot of people on here target mid to high end hardware. The fact that 1366 x 768 is a more popular resolution than 1440p should say everything about your average PC user. I've no doubt that Ampere and RDNA2 will still sell well, there are enough people out there who have plenty of money and don't care about spending £600+ on a GPU, who want to be on the bleeding edge, want the latest shiny thing, or simply see PC building/gaming as one of their main hobbies and justify the cost based on that. Having said that, I do hope that the next-gen consoles shake up the GPU market a bit, I feel like Nvidia in particular are tacking the mickey with their pricing.

Permabanned
I guess this is likely to be a pretty partisan thread but as someone who's continually owned/built/upgraded a high spec gaming pc over the past 25 years I'm at the point where the cost of decent PC components is so high and the difference in quality/experience/features between console/pc so miniscule (IMO) I wouldn't buy/build another PC for gaming unless the market shifts dramatically in the next few years.

I'm sure I'm not from the only person looking at the cost of PC components and thinking it's not worth it anymore.

To me that's the key issue. Most people might be willing to spend £400-500 on a console to play a few games whereas I suspect most wouldnt contemplate spending £500+ on a GPU or £1000-2000 on a PC. Especially in the current climate where everyone is nervous about their jobs.

I am similar, had many a PC over the last 30 odd years. However we also have to remember not all PC gamers game in 2-3k rigs.

There is more than enough gaming in the world to satisfy Xbox, PS and PC owners. (*other gaming platforms are available before Switch users start raging).

Associate

I agree with the above it will be the case that sooner or later dev's will have to decide to make games exclusive to the storage type. Linus even admitted that the PC will soon become the sticking point in game development whilst the platform is in limbo between HDD and SSD.

This may mean dev's abandon multiplat PC releases and make it console(s) exclusive.

For anyone who hasn't seen the video...

Shawrey

Soldato
I agree with the above it will be the case that sooner or later dev's will have to decide to make games exclusive to the storage type. Linus even admitted that the PC will soon become the sticking point in game development whilst the platform is in limbo between HDD and SSD.

This may mean dev's abandon multiplat PC releases and make it console(s) exclusive.

For anyone who hasn't seen the video...

Shawrey
Almost as if they cant use other studios/teams for each system.....you know like they already do now :p

You seriously think they are going to give up on a share of all this money :confused:

qiLWnsQl.png.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Almost as if they cant use other studios/teams for each system.....you know like they already do now :p

You seriously think they are going to give up on a share of all this money :confused:

qiLWnsQl.png.jpg

It's still a big chunk of the market but it is interesting that it is the only sector that is shrinking. Going by the complaints from PC users in this very thread of high costs of components that decrease could increase further over the coming years.

Soldato
Console games prices increasing next-gen :D https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...raising-game-prices-for-ps5-and-xbox-series-x

Of course they will, probably with added battle passes now loot boxes are getting too hot to handle.

Even more reason to go with physical copies of games.
*edit*
That article mentions that the cost of development has gone up and prices haven't but doesn't mention all of the other forms of monetisation the publishers use now. When you have battle/season passes, cosmetic stores, XP boosters and god knows what else, they don't need to put prices up. Publishers make quite literally billions of dollars for MTXs.

Soldato
Console games prices increasing next-gen :D https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...raising-game-prices-for-ps5-and-xbox-series-x

Of course they will, probably with added battle passes now loot boxes are getting too hot to handle.

"Cost of development has increased between 200% and 300% while game prices have remained flat"

Taken from that article.. not sure how EA can claim that, they;ve been using the same game and engine for several years for the likes of FIFA, NFL, NFS, Battlefield, Star Wars etc. All they do with FIFA is just update the rosters*

*take with a pinch of salt

Soldato
Not a fan of the PS5 white to be honest , are playstation planning to release any other colours on launch day ?

We don't really know yet. Seen a few black mock ups but nothing from Sony that I have seen. I imagine it will, maybe not at launch though but who knows unless Sony tell us.

White is not ideal for me either but I really don't care that much. I am more interested in what it does than what it looks like.

Back
Top Bottom