TV Licence Super Thread

Soldato
£100m to make their shows even more cringe worthy.

Next year there will be another scandal with their licence goons bullying people 75+. Just wait.

Permabanned
For reasons I've literally just mentioned.

Why don't we let the families who are just making ends meet have a free TV license? But the old 75 year old couple down the road with three properties and four pensions get it for free?

As I said, it's circumstantial. I don't have the right answer, there probably isn't one.

Make it means tested then. If a households income is over X amount then have to pay regardless of age.

Soldato
i can see a lot of pensioners refusing to pay this, especially ones on the bread line
what have they got to lose, are they going to start throwing lots of over 75s in prison?

It's not a blanket all 75+ must pay, those that receive Pension Credit Benefit won't have to pay.

The problem with this announcement is that those who aren't eligible for Pension Credit Benefit can be much worse off than those poorer who receive Pension Credit as their required to pay for more than just an additional TV license compared to those on PCB.

I also don't think it's about being thrown in prison by not paying, I very much doubt any elderly person will want to be hounded by the BBC and potentially threatened with legal action.

Caporegime
That's the problem they don't give people a choice it's forced upon someone to receive those stations. Doesn't say you have to watch it but it gives them backup saying "oh you receive it so you must watch it".

The BBC keep banging on about how good their content is, how many people like it and how much value you get.

Well ok then, make it a pay for view choice, what are you afraid of?

The BBC are a legalized cartel. It boggles the mind that people can think this is fine.

Soldato
But the content isn't even good, not anymore. Even their big budget stuff like Dr. Who is badly written crap.

You can get far better for less online. They don't even show most of the popular sports anymore.

The BBC managed to manipulate public opinion for a long time and paint people who didn't pay up as criminal. Scaring people into paying. But no one cares anymore and more are cancelling.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Imagine if you had to pay a monthly subscription to Netflix just to use the rest of the internet

Right, it would be the same thing.

The BBC want people to pay them to use the internet too :/

Their excuse was you can watch TV online...

Yes, you can't get away from it, you can't even stream Amazon Prime, which is a US streaming service. You need a licence to do that. its ********** crazy, they are charging you to use a service that is a competitor of theirs, how is this allowed? How is this legal?

watch or stream programmes live on an online TV service such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV and Sky Go

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-51376255

Associate
So i don't need a tvl if i'm streaming The Grand Tour into my TV through a FireTV stick?

Grand Tour isn't live, so that's correct. You don't need a TVL as far as I'm aware.

I think the rules on the TVL site are written in a specific manner to trick people into not cancelling.

For instance, I'm currently considering cancelling my TV licence, we literally watch no live TV in our house, only youtube, netflix and other on demand; but the TVL site has the following:

Do I need a TV Licence to watch live TV programmes on an online-only TV channel?
Yes. Online-only TV channels still count as live TV, so you need a TV Licence if you’re watching or recording their programmes.

Does this therefore include Youtubers live streaming, and Twitch live streaming? I've seen some stuff on reddit where people have emailed TVL and received a response that the answer is "no TVL needed for youtube and twitch live streams"... so how is that a distinction to live TV, it can't be because they aren't broadcast over traditional methods because it states "Online-Only TV" which would never have been broadcast.

Anyone got an answer?

Caporegime
Are you watching it live?

Define live, its a streaming service, its uploaded and you can watch it at anytime.

Grand tour isn't broadcast live so no.

The key point here is watching anything live or recording as broadcast.

There's my answer. If you don't want to give money to the BBC, take the aerial off your house and get a FireTV Stick

Soldato
There is also "Freeview play" where you can access most of the "rewatch" sites online via the TV. Just don't create an iplayer account. You can find most things on there so there is pretty much no point in live TV. It's a great workaround.

Soldato
There's my answer. If you don't want to give money to the BBC, take the aerial off your house and get a FireTV Stick

Cancelled probably 6 years ago now due to watching only on demand stuff.

Tvl inspector has been out a few years back and seen aerial cable behind TV not connected, had no issue with it. Got both dish on wall and aerial on chimney from old installs.

Caporegime
Cancelled probably 6 years ago now due to watching only on demand stuff.

Tvl inspector has been out a few years back and seen aerial cable behind TV not connected, had no issue with it. Got both dish on wall and aerial on chimney from old installs.

Ok, to be certain i would, will take the areal off my house completely. i don't watch broadcast TV anyway. its all junk.

Back
Top Bottom