8TB 870 QVO

Soldato
yeah £899 seems to be the price and it's using the cheap flash as well so, won't last maybe as long as the top stuff by all accounts, but all moving in the right direction... just needs people to buy them at silly prices for the mass price to come down lol. Wonder how warm they run?

Caporegime
Nobody needs 8TB apart from a handful of people.

I mean currently I'm rocking only 1 x 1TB drive in my main rig.

In my server I don't even have 8TB either. I have 7TB of mechanical drives (3TB and a 4TB).

Associate
OP
Errr currently running a 500gb boot drive. 1x2tb hdd for media and documents, 2tb ssd for games, 3tb hdd for steam library a 128gb ssd for star citizen, 250gb ssd for wargaming games. So a large format ssd would interest me but price has to be a factor

Soldato
Sabrent charge £1500 for their 8 TB NVME drive so $1K is relatively cheap.

It's quite difficult to get it cheaper than this right now given that it has 8GB of DRAM on it, on top of all other costs. We're going to have to deal with high prices at high capacities for the foreseeable future.

Caporegime
Errr currently running a 500gb boot drive. 1x2tb hdd for media and documents, 2tb ssd for games, 3tb hdd for steam library a 128gb ssd for star citizen, 250gb ssd for wargaming games. So a large format ssd would interest me but price has to be a factor

6TB of games? really? do you think that is normal. As in how often do you even play 75% of them?

Associate
OP
6TB of games? really? do you think that is normal. As in how often do you even play 75% of them?
you would think 6TB of games would equate to hundreds of games wouldnt you and for the msot part the steam drive does account of a lot of games I have bought and installed and rarely play but the 2tb SSD for games is a different story with games like Call of Duty taking up roughly 200GB it soon adds up, the 2TB i use for battle.net origin and uplay, with games often being upwards of 50GB iit doesnt take much to fill a drive.

Caporegime
What if i want to replace some of the mechanical drives in my servers, that has 24TB + 24TB in the server it replicates to?

I imagine lots of people are wanting to ditch spinning rust in servers which are not hammered by writes.

I bought a 14tb drive for my server for £170. I have 2 of them. I also have 4 smaller mechanical drives and total space is 42TB. Then I also have a 240 GB cache drive and a 128gb unassigned nvme M2 ssd for VM's.

This 8tb drive is gonna be £1500 or at best £1000.

I'm in no rush to replace my mechanical drives. The cost would be akin to a new car.

But if you have a spare £10k to spend on these great for you. However like I said nobody needs these apart from a handful of people in the entire world.

Give it 10 years then maybe I might get one. But tbh I don't need speed I need size and the cheaper the better. I have a cache drive for speed.

you would think 6TB of games would equate to hundreds of games wouldnt you and for the msot part the steam drive does account of a lot of games I have bought and installed and rarely play but the 2tb SSD for games is a different story with games like Call of Duty taking up roughly 200GB it soon adds up, the 2TB i use for battle.net origin and uplay, with games often being upwards of 50GB iit doesnt take much to fill a drive.

Using the largest game ever made is a poor example.

How about using the average size of a typical game?

I also game. I also have a large library. I only have 1 drive in my gaming pc and it's only 1TB. I have all the games I play on it and I have 500GB free. I also have the os, ms office and a load of applications on it.

Worst comes to worst if it does fill up. Which it won't. I'll delete a game and re download a new one in minutes. I have a 400MB download. So I only have games installed I'm currently actually playing. Anything I'm not playing gets deleted.

However if I really wanted more space I'd get a 500GB SATA ssd for £50.

For everything else I have my home server which has enough TB's of space to house my dreams.

This is great tech, the future. But currently it's not really needed especially at £1000 per drive. This is like an 8K TV. Great tech but won't be needed for a long time. Prices won't come down wither for a long time too as hardly anyone will be buying them.

Soldato
The great thing about PC's is the many different ways all the hardware can be configured. So many different people with differing needs and budgets. I'm sure there will be plenty of people simplifying their systems with these large solid state drives.

I'd love some bigger NVME drives. If nothing else it facilitates being lazy and not having to delete and reinstall. Especially when the fastest download you can get is 13Mbps. I need to move up to a 1TB really, ideally a 2TB. Hopefully all these new larger drives will eventually being the prices down.

Caporegime
The great thing about PC's is the many different ways all the hardware can be configured. So many different people with differing needs and budgets. I'm sure there will be plenty of people simplifying their systems with these large solid state drives.

I'd love some bigger NVME drives. If nothing else it facilitates being lazy and not having to delete and reinstall. Especially when the fastest download you can get is 13Mbps. I need to move up to a 1TB really, ideally a 2TB. Hopefully all these new larger drives will eventually being the prices down.

You can already get 1TB for less than £100.

I also managed to get a 14TB mechanical for £170.

There is no way I'd buy a £1500 or even a £1000 drive.

The max I'd spend is £200 at a push.

I think most people are in that category. As for prices coming down sure. But it won't be any time soon. I'll likely be waiting 10 years for this to be affordable.

Soldato
Nobody needs 8TB apart from a handful of people.

I mean currently I'm rocking only 1 x 1TB drive in my main rig.

In my server I don't even have 8TB either. I have 7TB of mechanical drives (3TB and a 4TB).

So you need almost 8TB.....
or have almost 8TB
Its just in a new format, lots of places would benefit from such devices, especially if they can be trusted to last.

Caporegime
So you need almost 8TB.....
or have almost 8TB
Its just in a new format, lots of places would benefit from such devices, especially if they can be trusted to last.

I've upgraded the server since when a deal for 14TB's was good.

I got 14TB for £170.

This 8TB drive is £1k plus.

Why would I pay 7 times as much for half the space?

There is a handful of people that genuinely need 8TB of ssd space. If you can get me an 8TB ssd for £100 I'd be interested. Until then I'm out and so is a the majority of other folk.

Soldato
This isn't a consumer item. It is, however, the dogs danglies for datacentres and things like recording flight trials data. And it will be consumer price in a couple of years.

Soldato
This isn't a consumer item. It is, however, the dogs danglies for datacentres and things like recording flight trials data. And it will be consumer price in a couple of years.
I can't see a serious use for these in the enterprise space other than some kind of cold storage system for very rarely accessed data - and even then I don't think these would be reliable for that. Not sure they even have PLP?

Back
Top Bottom