• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The improvement in ray-tracing in the past 2 years

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
1. Turing charged a lot for RTX and what has actually transpired in the past 2yrs is exceptionally poor value, with a high amount of oversell. Nvidia should be held accountable for that its not ok for the media and reviewers to overlook it.

2. If someone buys a high end GPU from the nextgen for their 4K monitor are they going to have to drop down to 1440p to play titles with RT content on?

Point #1 in particular is the elephant in the room. Looking at the RTX owners to be honest on this one as I think a big majority would have to agree considering the big sell feature. Reality shows that the lucky ones that bought a 1080Ti at standard price got the bargain in the long run and could luckily escape the whole Turing thing.

Point #2 is what we are all after tbh. A card from 2020/2021 that can play good monitor res/spec whitout having to 'drop down' on anything.

Soldato
As its original use case in bf5 was to disable it for 2080 TI users. Which was never change. However, that ruleset change or the goal post moved when they include its use for the 2080 TI in games after bf5.

My only summation is that Nvidia could not implement their version of TAA in bf5. Which is why dlss 2.0 was never implemented in bf5. A game that originally started this. Which to me tells me what the achilles heel of dlss is.

Associate
Apparently Quake 2 and Minecraft at 1080p are mind boggling and both are pretty much a cert at 60fps with 2080ti! Roll up, roll up get your RT here! Buy your branded Nvidia Mug! The more you buy the more you save. Free pleather jacket with every 30 units! Buy Now!

Soldato
I've always been of the opinion that it was outrageous to charge what they did for Turing based on how weak the performance increase was and how poorly rtx ran.

It was a price increase for guineau pigs.

What should have happened was either they took the R&D cost hit or nobody bought the cards.

Unfortunately, they had plenty of people happy to bend over.

Soldato
It doesnt bode well for future games because in the last two years we've had a "handful of games" which suggests devs are not enthusastic about ray tracing in games. Especially when the only future AAA game is Cyberpunk that everyone seems to be looking forward to.
The PC won't get many ray tracing games till the game consoles start getting them

Like back in 2006 when i bought a dual core CPU (AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+) how many years later was it before games actually started to use more then one core :(

Last edited:
Soldato
What should have happened was either they took the R&D cost hit or nobody bought the cards.

Unfortunately, they had plenty of people happy to bend over.
No business is going take a cost hit when there buyers willing to pay the higher prices

Would you sell a GPU for say £300 when there buyers willing to pay £500 ;)

Soldato
Sony and MS is throwing a lot of money around to get devs to implement rayvtracing in the new consoles which of course help bring more ray tracing games to pc too

Doesnt work like that though Sony and MS sell there consoles at a loss to increase the user base and drive cost of sale down. They then get their costs and profit from charging Publishers for selling the games on their platform, charging customers for online content etc. They are not exactly throwing money at devs to do pretty graphics.

-----------------

Could you see Nvidia selling RTX cards at cost price ? No because they dont get the premium off the games used on it. Thats why Nvidia get away with naming the price because we buy them. Ideally this time round we should all buy AMD but its not going to happen.

Soldato
Do we really think the cards would have been much cheaper if they hadn't had RTX?

It was a tech demo/fad to start with, but now it's becoming apparent that it's pretty handy, it's getting optimized, and it looks good.

Soldato
No business is going take a cost hit when there buyers willing to pay the higher prices

Would you sell a GPU for say £300 when there buyers willing to pay £500 ;)

That may fly for a while until:

1) People realised RTX was premature and not widespread enough (to new games). Those with entry flavours (2060/2070) can just about run it but could be turkey mode.
2) Global recession downturn, less people in work, people will start to feel the pinch. Disposable income divebombs, sales drop.
3) Competition picks up. Consoles release. Parts become scarcer.

Soldato
Do we really think the cards would have been much cheaper if they hadn't had RTX?

No. But having them as GTX instead of glossing it up to be some essential feature would have gone down better. The 3 series would have been the time to badge RTX in my opinion.

But maybe thats why they managed to clear stock on the 2 series - pump ray tracing and it worked lets face it!

Soldato
No. But having them as GTX instead of glossing it up to be some essential feature would have gone down better. The 3 series would have been the time to badge RTX in my opinion.

But maybe thats why they managed to clear stock on the 2 series - pump ray tracing and it worked lets face it!

The RTX series would have been the beta equivalent of a game. The degree of optimisation they'll have been able to do with the information collected will have greatly influenced the 3xxx series. It's the same for game creators, their testing and integration of it, will have given them a chance to start testing and playing with it, whilst not having to make it a main focus.

Sure, it'd be nice if everything was perfect straight away, but it's never going to work that way. The rtx series allowed the start. I don't think it was sold as essential, but I know having seen some of the games recently (like the Jayz video), I'm liking the look of it, and it's keeping half decent frames.

So thank you to those who bought RTX cards, but I'm not going to feel any sort of sympathy for them :D.

Soldato
Nvidia used raytracing as an excuse to jack up the price on the stack while not actually delivering much in the way of performance gains over pascal but even at the lower end cards like the 1660ti were priced high for what they delivered even though these don't feature RT.

Turing might aswell have been a re-release of pascal with tensor cores bolted on for all but the 2080ti as that was the only Gpu that outperformed the previous gen by a worthwhile margin.

Soldato
That may fly for a while until:

1) People realised RTX was premature and not widespread enough (to new games). Those with entry flavours (2060/2070) can just about run it but could be turkey mode.
2) Global recession downturn, less people in work, people will start to feel the pinch. Disposable income divebombs, sales drop.
3) Competition picks up. Consoles release. Parts become scarcer.

the pinch doesn't seem to have hit yet

pc hardware demand is currently at the highest level since 2008 that's why the price of everything is going up

Soldato
The RTX series would have been the beta equivalent of a game
So thank you to those who bought RTX cards, but I'm not going to feel any sort of sympathy for them :D.

:D

I know I came across that its defunct, that's not the slant. Any technology needs adoption and progress is made from the innovation - just look at F1 and cars. What some wont see is that on these forums people cherry pick arguments and when it suits the technology has to work out of the gates or its a flop.

However the price hikes in the past couple of years since pascal have been bad for consumers its got out of hand. Mid range cards commanding £400 is a joke. RTX is one of the culprits for this movement. You should have seen how many posts are on this forum for people asking about an upgrade only to decide -"yeah I got the 2060 in the end as its faster and also has raytracing".

Soldato
the pinch doesn't seem to have hit yet

pc hardware demand is currently at the highest level since 2008 that's why the price of everything is going up

Not quite true. Take the webcam and streaming hardware selling out everywhere, its because of lockdown/covid and people went nuts for it (working from home, boredom, I want to be the next Ninja). Then there's no stock about so prices go up for stuff that used to be gathering dust.

Its not because of the decent hardware or due to people buying it as they have lots of cash.

Just look at the morons that bough out all the toilet roll, and idiots then filling a whole trolley full being selfish. People are buying it as its all that is available right now and they don't want to wait.

Its like buying a celeron as theres nothing else in stock for building a PC. Then guys like you come out with a factoid of "see intel must be the best they are even selling out of celerons".

:p

Back
Top Bottom