• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Associate
Nvidia are happier selling fewer cards, at a higher price (for the same profit of selling many more cards at a lower price). Rather short sighted as all this tactic will do is kill off PC gaming. New consoles and cloud gaming are going to only accelerate this decline.

How do we fix this? Stop pre-ordering £1200 GPU's that you haven't seen benchmarks of. Try and control yourself for gods sake.

I think it inhibits progression rather than kills anything off, so the adoption rate of say 4k gaming and VR displays now takes 4x as long because of the compute power being affordable. I don't like it but the truth is the market adjusts and will hold certain prices even if that means individuals miss out. There are people that will pre-order a GPU for £5k or more you can't stop that nor should you the reality is volumes will take a hit on high margins, Nivida didn't sell as many Turing GPUs as they were thinking just as Apple will sell less iPhone 12s than 8s

Soldato
You called people out as p* takers for selling like this.

That's 100% my opinion, yes.

You compared it to selling a banger that was about to break, which would incur repair cost on the buyer (a very wrong analogy).

Agreed, not a great analogy. I also said it's comparable to retailer price gouging which on reflection is a fairer analogy, wouldn't you agree?

Now you say "I wouldn't treat someone like that", inferring the transaction is malicious on the part of the seller.

I haven't inferred anything, I've directly called it a **** take that I personally wouldn't do. If I thought it was malicious I would have said so, which I didn't.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Agreed, not a great analogy. I also said it's comparable to retailer price gouging which on reflection is a fairer analogy, wouldn't you agree?
No. Given 2080ti's are easy to come by and they're all around the same price, there is no gouging on anyone's behalf.

There is simply not enough information here for the assumptions you make on "p* taking".
Hardware changes hands constantly on MM. Lads on the unofficial discord trade gpus like panini stickers.
There's an abundance of reasons why people will pick up flagships this late in their shelf life, and that suits the market that wants to mitigate losing as much cash on the hardware.
Some people don't care about the money.
Everyone wins.

Soldato

Then we disagree, cool.

There is simply not enough information here for the assumptions you make on "p* taking"

The conversation has taken a bit of a meander since I first posted on this particular subject, which isn't unusual. The quotes below are what prompted the conversation, and there's plenty information to go on.

Whilst I've read a few replies since that have amended my thoughts to a certain degree (e.g. describing it as underhand was a bit OTT), nothing I've read has convinced me to sit with no GPU for months in order to prise maximum cash from a prospective buyer, just to fund a future purchase. Fortunately, I don't need the cash that badly and personally I'd rather not take advantage of someone in that way.

Real question is do I preemptively sell my 2080S and get decent cash on it and buy ampere blind. If so when is best time, considering I have no back up GPU I'll have to use integrated!

Seriously, why do people do this? Just enjoy what you have, don't sit for months with nothing just to save yourself £100 or whatever.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
nothing I've read has convinced me to sit with no GPU for months in order to prise maximum cash from a prospective buyer, just to fund a future purchase.
Sure, that's your take on it and fwiw I'm the same. But I see it all the time with others - they sacrifice frames to ensure they mitigate cost differentials between generations. Or they reallocate funds towards another, more expensive piece of hardware in the short-term. It helps if you are between games and wont miss the card in the short-term, but would like to be open to dabbling with other games.

I also just found out that 1080tis have kept a lot of value. May be common knowledge to others, but I don't do price checks on my hardware regularly. I see they can go for £400-450. I paid £700 and the prospect of unloading a card that would have effectively leave me with a bill of £250 for 3 years of ownership is enticing.
I don't need the money yet it still appeals.. like Tesco yellow labels. But I also don't need the ballache of ripping it out, boxing, sending, buying another worse short-term card, and then trying to offload that when 3000 series lands. I value my time and enjoyment of my current gaming performance too much.
Fortunately, I don't need the cash that badly and personally I'd rather not take advantage of someone in that way.
I still think you have the wrong mindset here and are not open other (more plausible imo) possibilities:

Perhaps the guy who bought may have been desperate to get more frames for his competitive game of choice, and realised his 2070 wasnt cutting it. He wanted a better gpu now and couldn't wait longer.
Perhaps he had bought 2x 2070s for SLI, realised it wasn't cost effecitve, and wanted to downgrade (and sold the other one to someone else).
Maybe he always wanted a 2080s but didn't have the cash at the time, and managed to save money during covid, and can now afford the upgrade.
So many permutations other than just being ignorant about the marketplace and getting taken for a ride by Too Tall the part-time cadillac salesman.

Soldato
Is Ampere likely to be bottlenecked by a Ryzen 1700? I thought about upgrading my GPU before thinking about CPU or motherboard at a later date.
Depends on what you are using it for, resolution you are rendering at, whether you are playing games that will utilise RTX and which ampere card (3080ti? etc) you would be looking to get.

Associate
Depends on what you are using it for, resolution you are rendering at, whether you are playing games that will utilise RTX and which ampere card (3080ti? etc) you would be looking to get.
Photoediting, gaming on new titles like Cyberpunk, I was thinking of spending upto £1000ish, depends on what's available at that price point.

Soldato
Is Ampere likely to be bottlenecked by a Ryzen 1700? I thought about upgrading my GPU before thinking about CPU or motherboard at a later date.
You might be on single thread hungry games, but a lot of newer titles are beginning to scale well on more cores, so that cpu will hold out fine I reckon. It may well be a bottleneck at times, but a new GPU is going to see you further now regardless and it isn't exactly much hardship to swap it to a new mobo/cpu if you upgrade your platform later. Worst case scenario: crank up the AA to make the GPU sweat and earn its wage if the CPU isn't feeding it fast enough.

Associate
You might be on single thread hungry games, but a lot of newer titles are beginning to scale well on more cores, so that cpu will hold out fine I reckon. It may well be a bottleneck at times, but a new GPU is going to see you further now regardless and it isn't exactly much hardship to swap it to a new mobo/cpu if you upgrade your platform later. Worst case scenario: crank up the AA to make the GPU sweat and earn its wage if the CPU isn't feeding it fast enough.
Ha! Makes sense. As long as there isn't a significant loss, I'm hoping my next upgrade will last me a good 4 years. Thank you.

Last edited:
Associate
A cheap 3700x would be a nice upgrade with a new card, or even a 3600 would be a nice boost in gaming
I've thought about a 3700x, it's affordable, and would buy me a few more years until AM5/DDR5 platform is a bit more established, and I can always upgrade my motherboard next year if i really need to. I rather not lose any cores as productivity is more important, so 3600 is out. A lot of decisons, but this forum has helped immensely.

Soldato
I've thought about a 3700x, it's affordable, and would buy me a few more years until AM5/DDR5 platform is a bit more established, and I can always upgrade my motherboard next year if i really need to. I rather not lose any cores as productivity is more important, so 3600 is out. A lot of decisons, but this forum has helped immensely.

Just wait for the 4000 series if you can get by for now.

Soldato

if it helps, a 3700x will bottleneck the most expensive Ampere at 1080p. It really depends on your screen resolution

Associate
I'm running at 1440p 16:9, possibly moving to 21:9 in a couple of years. I just want something to run decently for the next few years, as I plan on skipping the nVidia 40 series, and then upgrade again when the 50 series or eqivalent AMD cards are available. I'm going to get the £1000ish priced card, and see how it hold up with Davinci Resolve and Cyberpunk, and think about upgrading in mid-2021 to Zen 3.

Soldato
I'm running at 1440p 16:9, possibly moving to 21:9 in a couple of years. I just want something to run decently for the next few years, as I plan on skipping the nVidia 40 series, and then upgrade again when the 50 series or eqivalent AMD cards are available. I'm going to get the £1000ish priced card, and see how it hold up with Davinci Resolve and Cyberpunk, and think about upgrading in mid-2021 to Zen 3.

The most important number is missing there, what refresh are you intending to game at?

Back
Top Bottom