• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
You're be surprised at how good a GTX 1080 still is.

Most games I still can play at maxed out settings 1440p.

Maybe 8/10 games maxed IQ.

Edit*

When I say max... I mean max settings but then usually MSAA down to 2x or use things like TAA instead. In other words whatever gives the best performance. It obviously cant to MSAA 8X on most demanding titles.

Last edited:
Soldato
You're be supposed at how good a GTX 1080 still is.

Maybe 8/10 games maxed IQ.

Yeah, I'm still happy with my 1080Ti performance at 1440p. However, I've started doing a bit more sofa gaming of late and it's just not enough for 4k 60fps. Some titles are fine, sure, but I've had plenty that can't do it.

I'm hoping to upgrade to a 3080Ti or whatever it'll be called. I'll be annoyed if I end up spending £1500 though.

Soldato
Yeah, I'm still happy with my 1080Ti performance at 1440p. However, I've started doing a bit more sofa gaming of late and it's just not enough for 4k 60fps. Some titles are fine, sure, but I've had plenty that can't do it.

I'm hoping to upgrade to a 3080Ti or whatever it'll be called. I'll be annoyed if I end up spending £1500 though.

I assume you mean you would pay 1500 for a card that can do 4k 60fps, with the nomenclature itself being secondary.

That level of performance isn't worth that much money to me, but if it is to you, that's fine. This hobby is mostly about spending money on stuff we don't need anyway, but Nvidia won't get my money for that "value" proposition.

Soldato
I assume you mean you would pay 1500 for a card that can do 4k 60fps, with the nomenclature itself being secondary.

I'll be looking for 4k 80fps from my next GPU, and I'm willing to spend around £750 for that. I agree the nomenclature can be disregarded; if a "3060" does 4k 80fps within my budget I'll be happy.

And before any of the Turing pant puller downers start their pish, I don't care what you paid for your 2080ti - Nvidia can meet my expectations or forgo my cash. Simple as that.

Associate
|'m looking for a significant boost beyond my 1080TI SLI performance in games that support SLI e.g. RDR2/GTA 5. 2080ti +50% needed for £1200 max otherwise I'll sit it out. 2080TI can't do anything like 60fps in AAA games today all ultra (YES that includes MSAA in my book ideally 8X but certainly 4X). Otherwise I'll buy a PS5 and keep the change. If Nvidia/AMD can't offer a clearly noticeable improvement I'll leave it to others to fund their habit.

Soldato
You're be surprised at how good a GTX 1080 still is.

Not even. I'm running my backup RX 480 and it's still a beast. Truth is we're overpaying a lot in terms of performance costs for minimal improvements, especially as it's all designed around the console spec as target. Granted, there is the odd game where you feel like you're getting your money's worth (from the high-end GPUs), but they're rare. The diminishing returns wall gets hit quickly.

Caporegime
Not even. I'm running my backup RX 480 and it's still a beast. Truth is we're overpaying a lot in terms of performance costs for minimal improvements, especially as it's all designed around the console spec as target. Granted, there is the odd game where you feel like you're getting your money's worth (from the high-end GPUs), but they're rare. The diminishing returns wall gets hit quickly.

Agreed, running a 1660Ti a few weeks back at 1440p Medium settings and it was absolutely fine :)

Caporegime
Sounds like AMD Big Navi might be a bit of a damp squib after all :(

2 years and according to the most recent leaks they've only managed to get performance on par with 2080Ti (or slightly more in games AMD do well in)

This won't help with Nvidia's top tier pricing for their next lot of GPUs

Back
Top Bottom