The nervous wait to exchange....

Caporegime
Well we got the results of the structural survey and so glad we paid it because its an absolute disaster. Ticking time bomb. When I get a chance to add the list I will but let's just say... Major damp and construction issues amongst many other things.

Looks like we're back in to the market but by eck there's nothing around in our budget now with the space we were going to get.

Which one did you go for? Or is the structure one the full one?

I went for the homebuyer survey and it really helped put mind at rest.

Sounds a nightmare that

Soldato
Just be mindful that surveyors are trained to nit-pick. A lot of things are just normal wear and tear! Even if it looks bad, ask them for their real opinion and is the price still worth it etc.

every house I’ve bought always has a 100 page report.

Well, they should make it clear what is and isn't serious. On my building survey there were a few things on mine that were like, well yeah it's not the best by current standards, but it's worked for 200+ years so obviously isn't that bad :p . Only significant thing that came up in mine was that the chimney and roof line lead flashings could do with some regular repointing and maintenance.

Soldato
Offer accepted :D Now for the hard part - applying.

On a side note, had a quote for conveyancing which came in at £1264. FTB, no HTB ISA, freehold - the usual stuff. Seems reasonable to me?

I obtained a couple of quotes in 2019 when I started the process and all of them were in the region of £1100-1300, so it certainly doesn't ring any alarm bells.

Soldato
Offer accepted :D Now for the hard part - applying.

On a side note, had a quote for conveyancing which came in at £1264. FTB, no HTB ISA, freehold - the usual stuff. Seems reasonable to me?

I obtained a couple of quotes in 2019 when I started the process and all of them were in the region of £1100-1300, so it certainly doesn't ring any alarm bells.

Pretty much the same as mine. Now you get to see if you won the solicitor lottery and got a competent one :D

Soldato
Can anyone recommend a conveyancer or solicitor?

I’m selling a leasehold flat (188 years remaining), and will be purchasing a freehold house.
@Skillmister are you allowed to gain clients from this forum?

or should I just go with some local solicitor?
Sorry I've only just seen this. Have you found someone?

I'd be happy to deal but I work for a national "online" conveyancing company these days rather than a small High Street practice so I don't have much freedom as far as the process etc goes (nor do I benefit personally from taking work directly as I already have plenty :p) You'd probably be better served going local but feel free to @ me if you need any pointers along the way

Associate
Anyone any idea of timescales with mortgage offers / valuations at the moment? We are with Danske now, application submitted last week. Seller hasn't heard from them yet re: valuation.

Soldato
Sorry I've only just seen this. Have you found someone?

I'd be happy to deal but I work for a national "online" conveyancing company these days rather than a small High Street practice so I don't have much freedom as far as the process etc goes (nor do I benefit personally from taking work directly as I already have plenty :p) You'd probably be better served going local but feel free to @ me if you need any pointers along the way
Decided to go with the solicitor I used before.

Soldato
It still looks like HSBC and Nationwide are the only two lenders offering 90% LTV mortgages. I'm anxious about the very very limited options available to us.

@Mason- did you end up applying with HSBC? How did it go?

Soldato
It still looks like HSBC and Nationwide are the only two lenders offering 90% LTV mortgages. I'm anxious about the very very limited options available to us.

Really stupidly nationwide are only offering their 90% ltv to first time buyers and not home movers, which makes next to no sense. You’ll take the risk of lending to someone with no history of having a mortgage, but you won’t to someone who has...????? With the exact same terms?

Anyway, yes we had the meeting with the advisor yesterday it took 3 hours... got accepted subject to the valuation which we now have to wait 2 weeks for.

We had to wait from 16th July until yesterday for this forced meeting.

Soldato
Really stupidly nationwide are only offering their 90% ltv to first time buyers and not home movers, which makes next to no sense. You’ll take the risk of lending to someone with no history of having a mortgage, but you won’t to someone who has...????? With the exact same terms?

Anyway, yes we had the meeting with the advisor yesterday it took 3 hours... got accepted subject to the valuation which we now have to wait 2 weeks for.

Did you run through a fresh application on the website or call before applying?

Soldato

Yeah that makes no sense at all, if anything home movers would be less of a risk. They'll still be subject to valuations.

Associate
HSBC were announcing some job loses. So i can only guess more people on the loans is better than the same people who already have loans. If that relates to the bank's lenders is anyone's guess.

Associate

We had to go 15% with Danske as our mortgage broker couldn't even get the application in to HSBC@10% after trying for 8 days solid.

Associate
Sold my house right after lockdown - looking for the next one and struggling. Seen a dream house which needs us to smash our budget, but would be worth it. Viewing on Friday, but need to knock 50K off asking (£550k) to be able to stretch to it. Been on the market for 18 months though so might be able to do a deal....

Annoying when you see a great house though. It makes all the other sensible ones look boring...!

Soldato
The 500k bracket is prime for sellers not budging as much on price at the moment. Why would they when buyers are saving 15k on stamp duty too?!

It's mostly circumstance dependant though, as ever, and will come down to who is more desperate to sell/buy.

Back
Top Bottom