• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Man of Honour
On past cards it hasn't worked like that - you can populate/un-populate or even upgrade the VRAM and the GPU just works detecting the correct amount of VRAM available (up to a point). Unless something has changed you don't need to mess about with firmware locking.

Though wouldn't be the first time shipping a GPU with more memory populated than is useable would be a little dubious though it has been done in the past to mask production issues.

Soldato
If you had a clue, you'd know that there are no HDMI 2.1 cards out yet to drive 4k 120Hz, so it's physically impossible on a LG CX or other HDMI TV's/monitors. I won't waste my time with your childish bickering and incorrect ramblings any further, welcome to my ignore list.

This is wrong.

You can run 4k 120hz on current Samsung and lg TVs with 20 series as long as you don't want HDR.

Associate
This is common knowledge since months. AMD are not aiming to compete with a 3080 Ti, and they don't need to as that is not where the money is and they know full well they can't do reach that level of performance in this gen. They are aiming for the 3070/3080 market and below and if they manage to put out performant parts for cheaper than Nvidia they they are really going to take a lot of market share this generation.

Wow, are AMD *already* in damage control mode?!

Associate
Really itching for an upgrade, but not looking to spend more than £500, so hopefully whatever's announced end of the month will be in my price bracket. If not, or if the performance increase to previous generation isn't there I will be buying whatever AMD are offering in this price bracket. I am betting on prices dropping for existing cards when the new cards get announced, even if it's just the high end ones.

Man of Honour
This suggests to me that Nvidia are worried. Getting Ampere out the door in every possible guise asap before RDNA2/Next gen consoles. Why the rush...? Unless......

It actually suggests the exact opposite.

It looks like NVidia have had Ampere hanging around for quite while waiting to launch, what gives this away is AIB partners have had plenty of time to produce cards with their own custom coolers ready for launch day.

Soldato

It looks like NVidia have had Ampere hanging around for quite while waiting to launch, what gives this away is AIB partners have had plenty of time to produce cards with their own custom coolers ready for launch day.

It looks like they are "firing both barrels" to me.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Yea, I don’t get his post either. How is that damage control?

I mean were people really expecting an “nvidia killer”? Essentially what it sounds like he is saying is unless AMD decimate Nvidia’s top Ampere card, then they have failed and will need to do damage control. Lol.

As much as I want AMD to bring out a true Nvidia killer, what I would much prefer is for them to improve price for performance in a big way. Like if they can release a card that competes with a 3080 and does it for $599 or a 2080Ti performance card for $399, now that would be laying the smack down and stopping Nvidia just pricing things silly.

Soldato

Wouldn't there have been more benchmarks out in the wild if that was the case.

Soldato
Yea, I don’t get his post either. How is that damage control?

I mean were people really expecting an “nvidia killer”? Essentially what it sounds like he is saying is unless AMD decimate Nvidia’s top Ampere card, then they have failed and will need to do damage control. Lol.

As much as I want AMD to bring out a true Nvidia killer, what I would much prefer is for them to improve price for performance in a big way. Like if they can release a card that competes with a 3080 and does it for $599 or a 2080Ti performance card for $399, now that would be laying the smack down and stopping Nvidia just pricing things silly.

AMD have said so much in other releases. And people post this stuff https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...rdware-ray-tracing-coming-next-year.18869659/

Back
Top Bottom