• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Permabanned
Just sold my 1080ti for almost £500 on eBay which after paying PayPal and eBay (£1) fee leaves me with more than I paid for it exactly 1 year ago.!
And people on here were saying that I overpaid back then as 1080ti back then wasn’t worth more than £350...
LOL

Awaiting Ampere.......

Inb4 gets returned as faulty demanding refund. :p (Joke, hopefully wasn't bought by a standard ebay scroat)

Associate
Not without critism and people call them out on it.

Nvidia have behaved appallingly and its not ok as much as their marketing and PR dept. want to bury it and there some terrible accomplices in the tech world/media too failure to tell the full picture just means you're an extension of the PR dept

The trouble there was that people were coughing up the money while they were complaining about the cost making any criticism worthless. It would be akin to apologising profusely whilst stabbing someone to death :p

Associate
Jensen to his staff - 'Make the next one slightly better than the last series, marketing will make it sound amazing and these crazy gamers will just throw money at us again. Trust me, it just works'

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Yup, don't expect AMD to 'save' you all people!! They hunt down the last pound/dollar too now just like nVidia!!!

Why shouldn’t they? They are not a charity! They are now a premium brand!! :p

Just sold my 1080ti for almost £500 on eBay which after paying PayPal and eBay (£1) fee leaves me with more than I paid for it exactly 1 year ago.!
And people on here were saying that I overpaid back then as 1080ti back then wasn’t worth more than £350...
LOL

Awaiting Ampere.......
You did well, people seem to love the 1080Ti for some reason. It was not worth £500 back then, nor is it now, but lots of uninformed people out there :p

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Problem is no one kicks back against it - the price hiking and tier sliding in relative hardware spec takes the mick but so many just buy anyway :( and in the end only the 2080ti is going to have any kind of viable longer term future with RTX features and even that won't hold up forever if developers start using them properly.

I am not the only one mentioning this, but when I do you get the minority forum celebrities coiled like a viper quote me as some kind of poison dwarf! People then get nasty, droning off that its their money let them spend it. Even the regular nvidia buyers on here are stalling because they know the pricing is poor.

Prices should return to their historic norms not an insanely inflated new 'normal' although given the willingness of many to blindly pay whatever is asked I'm not sure that will happen. After the Titan Pascal at least Nvidia were decent enough to release the 1080ti at a 'reasonable' price. Without serious competition they may well stick to the ludicrous new pricing regime.

As above, I only caught this later.

Yup, don't expect AMD to 'save' you all people!! They hunt down the last pound/dollar too now just like nVidia!!!

Again, this reinforced the topic of discussion before the fanboys discount it. How many times have you read on this fourm "if AMD up their game it will sort nVidia out" when it wont.. they are just creeping up prices because people are buying them.

Soldato
The rumors have been pretty consistent on 400w when OC'd. For reference, my 2080ti oc'd can pretty much pull that also (caps around 396w).

Effectively, you'll have similar power draw as Turing for more performance.

The reference PCB seems to have more power delivery than the TU102 based GPUs. I wonder if stock power draw is going up over Turing??

Associate
The reference PCB seems to have more power delivery than the TU102 based GPUs. I wonder if stock power draw is going up over Turing??

Mine is a reference PCB. Just an entry level GB Windforce OC.

Base power draw will determine on where they set the boost clocks basically. Nvidia overbuilds their PCB's with pretty much the best components so it's not much of a concern from a power delivery standpoint. The issue is always having enough cooling due to how boost works.

Associate
Prices should return to their historic norms not an insanely inflated new 'normal' although given the willingness of many to blindly pay whatever is asked I'm not sure that will happen. After the Titan Pascal at least Nvidia were decent enough to release the 1080ti at a 'reasonable' price. Without serious competition they may well stick to the ludicrous new pricing regime.

I think this coming generation will be the last of a painful run off the back of Turing being the worst in history of accelerated graphics. My rationale is simple once we are over the 4k hump with decent framerates you can add all the bells and whistled you like but the demand drops right off for the high-end over priced products... or to put it another way you'll be able to comfortably sit on a product for 4yrs+ and I think you'll see more people do that. I personally look to upgrade when I see double the performance on offer at a price I'm willing to spend... I would have bought a 2080Ti at £700 2yrs ago but that was not to be but that is in the realm of the possible later this year.

Associate
The rumors have been pretty consistent on 400w when OC'd. For reference, my 2080ti oc'd can pretty much pull that also (caps around 396w).

Effectively, you'll have similar power draw as Turing for more performance.

But the difference there is that you've overclock yours to get to that power draw whereas, if the rumours are correct, Nvidia have been forced to use that power as standard to achieve the performance goals they want from the next gen.

It will be interesting to see if there is any overclocking headroom left and what sort of power increase that causes.

Soldato
I don't care about power draw. I do care about performance and noise. If the 3080 Ti (or Big Navi FWIW) turns out to be a 400W 4-slot card, I'm fine with that as long as it's reasonably quiet.

Soldato
I don't care about power draw. I do care about performance and noise. If the 3080 Ti (or Big Navi FWIW) turns out to be a 400W 4-slot card, I'm fine with that as long as it's reasonably quiet.

Noise and power draw go hand-in-hand, given current CPU cooling designs.

Back
Top Bottom