The last game you completed, and rating.

Caporegime
I still have the first one unplayed because of performance issues. Having updated my PC since trying it I should go back to it, but given that I probably won't get around to both games, which of the two would you choose to play through if you were only picking one?

I know this question wasn't aimed at me and I've only just started playing Evil Within 2 - about an hour in - but already it feels much better. The graphics are vastly improved.

Carrion - 7/10

Graphics were really quite good for the style, gameplay was fun but a wee bit frustrating as the controls aren't perfect. Could really do with a map though, I got lost at the end and therefore felt like I didn't want to go around finding the missing secrets.

Soldato
I still have the first one unplayed because of performance issues.

Tell me about it! I thought I would try this again now that I have a 16:9 screen as opposed to the 21:9 that it didn't support. Now it refuses to switch from 640 x 480 resolution. I've deleted and reinstalled the game, deleted all the saves and inis but no, Bethesda are determined it's 1970 resolution or nothing.

Soldato
I know this question wasn't aimed at me and I've only just started playing Evil Within 2 - about an hour in - but already it feels much better. The graphics are vastly improved.

Tell me about it! I thought I would try this again now that I have a 16:9 screen as opposed to the 21:9 that it didn't support. Now it refuses to switch from 640 x 480 resolution. I've deleted and reinstalled the game, deleted all the saves and inis but no, Bethesda are determined it's 1970 resolution or nothing.

Guess that settles it then - straight into 2 I think! Cheers.

ne0

ne0

Associate
I still have the first one unplayed because of performance issues. Having updated my PC since trying it I should go back to it, but given that I probably won't get around to both games, which of the two would you choose to play through if you were only picking one?

I've only played the 2nd one; skipped straight to that when I was wondering the same thing. I think the 2nd one was deemed to be a vast improvement over the 1st so personally I would just dive straight into that. It's got a great story and very well told.

Soldato
Halo 2.

Played through this via Xbox Games Pass on PC, wasn't the best experience but it was entertaining enough to finish. Honestly I found the game pretty forgettable, a lacklustre followup to the first game and overshadowed by the third.

Soldato
Four Last Things. A point and click adventure based on the art of Hieronymus Bosch and his contemporaries. There's not a great deal to it, to be honest - if you're familiar with the genre you'll finish it in under two hours, although you'll probably need to go back to 100% the achievements. 5/10.

Associate
Prey 8/10. The ending was something I did not see coming although there was a hint or two about it earlier in the game. The mimics reminded me of the headcrabs from half life.

Associate
Assassins creed Origins

:D Finally, finished the story and cleared all the side quests. I was getting a bit bored with the repetitiveness of the base game but the curse of the Pharaohs DLC was pretty cool exploring the different underworlds.

Man of Honour
OP
Horizon Zero Dawn - 9.5/10

Finished the main story and most side quests. Few games have gripped me that much. Absolutely brilliant. The story, the telling of it, the soundtrack, the characters, the machines, the atmosphere, the strategies. Only a few crashes, performance was great throughout after the starting area. One of my favourite games of all time.

Soldato

Finished the main story and most side quests. Few games have gripped me that much. Absolutely brilliant. The story, the telling of it, the soundtrack, the characters, the machines, the atmosphere, the strategies. Only a few crashes, performance was great throughout after the starting area. One of my favourite games of all time.
Wow this needs to go on my to play list (nr the top!) :)

Caporegime

Curious to know what your attitude was before playing this game. Are you one of those PC gamers "Pah, I'd never buy a console. Those games would never interest me!" or not? :D

And what happens next. Horizon Forbidden West will probably not come to PC for a while, if ever. Do you get a PS5 to continue Aloy's journey? Or perhaps sub to PS Now when it appears there at some point?

Man of Honour
OP
Curious to know what your attitude was before playing this game. Are you one of those PC gamers "Pah, I'd never buy a console. Those games would never interest me!" or not? :D

And what happens next. Horizon Forbidden West will probably not come to PC for a while, if ever. Do you get a PS5 to continue Aloy's journey? Or perhaps sub to PS Now when it appears there at some point?

I always loved the look of zero dawn - something about tribal meets sci-fi tech has always appealed along with the robot dinosaurs :D. I nearly bought a PS4 to play it originally.

Given the crazy price of PC hardware and complete faff of gaming issues these days, I could well be tempted.

That said, I’m not sure the experience would have been as good without a mouse and keyboard.

Soldato

I'm loving Horizon Zero dawn, but the thought of having to play Forbidden West with a gamepad rather than keyboard and mouse... :(

The keyboard and mouse controls are very good, and the control scheme doesn't rely on complex combos or quick-time events so it's an even better match for keyboard and mouse, especially as you have to precision target weak points on the bigger machines to defeat them. I can't imagine doing that on a gamepad.

Now if the PS5 allowed keyboard and mouse, I might be tempted...

Soldato
I'm loving Horizon Zero dawn, but the thought of having to play Forbidden West with a gamepad rather than keyboard and mouse... :(

The keyboard and mouse controls are very good, and the control scheme doesn't rely on complex combos or quick-time events so it's an even better match for keyboard and mouse, especially as you have to precision target weak points on the bigger machines to defeat them. I can't imagine doing that on a gamepad.

Now if the PS5 allowed keyboard and mouse, I might be tempted...

Each to their own but I couldnt play a third person action adventure game on KB/M any more, they just feel like they were made with controller in mind more and more these days :D glad they implemented KB/M Really well though

Caporegime
Death Stranding - 9/10.

A work of art, great story telling and excellently programmed.

Death Stranding. (No spoilers) 6.5/10

Beautiful graphics and physics, good music, some really fantastic and interesting mechanics, some very interesting and compelling story elements. SOME cutscenes, especially post credits, were quite moving and I felt that they were very well done! And the twist, brilliant. I also liked that you could either bash through the story quickly(ish...) or get sidetracked delivering things all over the place and setting up zip-lines and things.

I enjoyed it.

BUT... There were many things which I didn't enjoy quite so much...

• Strange concepts and ideas which felt shoehorned in.
  • Constant interruption in the form of calls from a certain ridiculously named character which were needlessly repetitive and annoying and made you feel like you were still in the tutorial after 20 hours of gameplay.
  • Key characters to whom I felt absolutely no connection (red dress) and a main storyline and ending which left me not only dissatisfied, but also bored. Particularly towards the end.
  • Tedious boss battles, and even more tedious dialogue, the credit sequence dialogue had me begging for it to be over so that I could do something more interesting like watch paint dry.
  • Weird and jarring fourth wall breaches, and disgusting and blatant product placement.
  • Lots of grind-fest type material gathering to build resources and infrastructure
  • The constant CONSTANT referring to America as "the world" and the lack of acknowledgement that any other countries even exist. It felt like I was watching an old American WWII film where they try and take credit for all the hard work of other nations...
A game which was trying desperately to be "deep" and thought provoking, but fell short of the mark. I don't regret playing it, but I'm not sure I would recommend it.

A beautiful technical demonstration though...

And nice to be able to gallovant around in the scenery when the game is "over". :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom