• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

4K and 60hz is easily mainstream, albeit agreed it's not the defacto standard. However, 144hz 1440p is incredibly common and they're not fully delivering on that.

What's interesting is that you don't see many people recommending 4K at the moment. Even taking refresh rate into account, a lot are saying that the extra resolution just isn't worth it. So whilst I'm sure some people will want an 8K screen, I can only see that being a niche until people start using bigger screens. 4K will increasingly become the standard once we get faster screens and ultrawides.

Factoring the consoles into the equation, PC has to deliver over-and-above to justify the cost surely? I mean if you're going to have a console consistently delivering 4K and promising raytracing at the same time, the only way PC can challenge is refresh rate I would think. I'm assuming consoles are planning on 30FPS or 60FPS max given current TV tech?

Long way of saying, I think NV and AMD need to properly deliver this time around.

Nope, where in the world is 60fps 4k mainstream? The next gen consoles aren't even out yet and it's still questionable as to how many games will be running at that 4k 60 FPS, up here in the upper echelons of the enthusiast market it might seems 'normal' but far from it across the whole gaming spectrum, I take your point that PC needs to be a step beyond consoles but it swings in roundabouts, during the next 7 odd years the next gen consoles hardware will remain static while the PC market will continue to evolve.

Also it's not always about performance, A lot of people choose the PC for mouse & keyboard, cheaper games, the ability to play the same game on lessor hardware by just dropping a few settings, owning a PC isn't always about "beating consoles", they can be a gaming machine and productivity tool in one, PC's can be a tinkers paradise, personally I love ultra-wide, even at lower than 4k that is something that the console generation may not achieve for a long time, not until ultra-wide TV's become a thing common place, which I really hope they do, although I don't hold a lot of hope, I like many own a 4k TV and only have a handful of 1080p channels :(

Last edited:

bru

bru

Soldato
OK wild theory as suggested by bret on UFD.tech.

Its not going to be the 3000 series, but the 2100 series tying in nicely with the whole 21 days 21 years idea.;)

ljt

ljt

Soldato
OK wild theory as suggested by bret on UFD.tech.

Its not going to be the 3000 series, but the 2100 series tying in nicely with the whole 21 days 21 years idea.;)

Could well be, but all that matters is the performance at any given price segment, no matter what they decide to call it!

Soldato
Associate
I wouldn't consider 4K to be main stream for gaming (admittedly this is only Steam):

YiAnZjY.png

Nope, where in the world is 60fps 4k mainstream? The next gen consoles aren't even out yet and it's still questionable as to how many games will be running at that 4k 60 FPS, up here in the upper echelons of the enthusiast market it might seems 'normal' but far from it across the whole gaming spectrum, I take your point that PC needs to be a step beyond the PC but it swings in roundabouts, during the next 7 odd years the next gen consoles hardware will remain static while the PC market will continue to evolve.

Also it's not always about performance, A lot of people choose the PC for mouse & keyboard, cheaper games, the ability to play the same game on lessor hardware by just dropping a few settings, owning a PC isn't always about "beating consoles", they can be a gaming machine and productivity tool in one, PC's can be a tinkers paradise, personally I love ultra-wide, even at lower than 4k that is something that the console generation may not achieve for a long time, not until ultra-wide TV's become a thing common place, which I really hope they do, although I don't hold a lot of hope, I like many own a 4k TV and only have a handful of 1080p channels :(

I think my intended meaning of "mainstream" has perhaps been lost. By this, I meant commonly available and frequently used.

IMHO...

This is all valid in the context of a static market but how may of the people gaming below 1440p are realistically going to be splashing out on the next generation of graphics card?

I would be very interested to see the resolutions table correlated to GPU. I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that anyone who games below 1080p and buys a new GPU needs to have a serious word with themselves. At the 1080p level, there will be the framerate whores who want the new card, but I suspect a huge chunk of that 1080p crowd is taken up by a) those who casually game on a laptop or monitor that just happens to be at that resolution and b) those who can't afford the shiny stuff (which I don't mean in a disparaging sense). So then you're into the 1440p and 2160p crowd which is where the money is to be had. Both are growing areas of the market where current GPU performance isn't there.

As I said above, I can't see many people actually wanting to buy an 8K+ monitor, so 4K is "mainstream" and could very well become the standard, like 1080p is now. I mean how many people here would like a 4K @ 144hz screen if the GPU could handle it?

So my point remains. The current generation of GPUs need to deliver a serious 4K performance uplift, bringing with it 1440p increases, as these are the people who will most likely be buying the card and have the cash to do so. At least I think that's my point; I've largely bored myself here.

Soldato
You have to realise 4K is is extremely far off from being the standard and demand will still be high for high end products because by the time 4K is the standard people who are currently buying 2080Ti's and 3080Ti's will want to be gaming at 8-16k

4K will be mainstream thanks to the waves of new 4K TV's and the consoles being 4K devices.

I remember there were still people clinging to 800x600 when 1080P became mainstream with the PS3 and Xbox360.

Best accept times move on, and there's a massive 4K installed userbase already.

Associate
I wouldn't consider 4K to be main stream for gaming (admittedly this is only Steam):

Ok so now subtract the laptop users from that and multi-monitor setups (I for example have 2 1080p monitors alongside the 4k). I think you would see the %s shift quite a bit.

To me 4k is mainstream because its easily accessible and has been for years, plus we here in OcUK forums I'd classify as enthusiast compared to the wider PC gaming community and in this context 1440p/4K is absolutely more widespread but I do accept its usage overall is well below 1080p

Caporegime
4K will be mainstream thanks to the waves of new 4K TV's and the consoles being 4K devices.

I remember there were still people clinging to 800x600 when 1080P became mainstream with the PS3 and Xbox360.

Just a little pickup of this comment - I don't think there are many games on PS3 or Xbox 360 that output at native 1920x1080

They were generally 720p.

Soldato
Just a little pickup of this comment - I don't think there are many games on PS3 or Xbox 360 that output at native 1920x1080

They were generally 720p.

I'm referring to the era in PC gaming. The fact that some PS3/Xbox360 games could run at 1080P resulted in 1080P being the standard resolution for PC gaming. This happened rather quickly. Of course there were 800x600 and 1024x768 fans on their CRT monitors who resisted reality for as long as possible, just like there are some clinging to 1080P/1440P now.

Soldato

It will only become mainstream on PC when the Gpus required to run it are selling for mainstream prices.

Permabanned
Console users have been gaming in 4k for years. :p
Here we go again. Yes people have been able to game at 4K for quite a while now but that doesn’t mean 4K gaming is mainstream. It’s just not. The next gen will change that because they are 4K from the start but that is still a little while away.

As Joxeon said 4K will not be mainstream until gpu’s and the new consoles are at a price point the mainstream can afford.

Soldato
Don't care about 4K until we can run demanding titles at rather high settings and still get high minimum FPS, that's not happening even with a 3070 or 3080 because a 2080Ti can't do it now unless you want 30/40fps lows

Rather 1440p until GPUs handle it better to my preference

Back
Top Bottom