Google busted

Soldato
OP
Is it not likely that your wife googled paint suitable for painting kitchen cupboards?

It's highly probable, but she would have used her phone to do it and the ad appeared on my phone which is hundreds of miles away from her.

Put your theory to the test, randomly start talking about dogfood (if you don't own a dog) if the adbets pop up then you may have a case.

Probably the best suggestion, to be honest. I'll be calling her tonight but I won't discuss dog food because I just typed that! I'll think of something random. :)

Caporegime
I don't get any of this since stripping my Android of all Google products and moving over to open source alternatives. I also use an app that blocks all other apps from taking control of the microphone.

Caporegime
If you don't like it don't use their services, unfortunately most people are happy to sign away their privacy because they can't manage without the services and companies like Google know it only too well. It's the one area where I think governments need to intervene and I mean by stopping the data collection and spying altogether, corporations giving people personalised advertising is not more important than personal privacy.

Associate
24hrs ago I would have said that, and I wouldn't criticise anyone who does. For me now, there was a personal private conversation took place with no photos or web searches involved and now I'm seeing targeted ads on the subject (not the penis enlargement ones, I've been getting them for years and still don't know how they know ;))

It's really made me think.

This happens to me quite often, I usually think I’m imagining it and then forget about it.

Not being on things like Facebook and Instagram is a good start if you are security/privacy conscious as I think there have been a few “software bugs” found that were dubious (on top of the fact your life is visible for everybody to see anyway)

Soldato
OP
This happens to me quite often, I usually think I’m imagining it and then forget about it.

Not being on things like Facebook and Instagram is a good start if you are security/privacy conscious as I think there have been a few “software bugs” found that were dubious (on top of the fact your life is visible for everybody to see anyway)

Yea, I haven't used Facebook or Twitter etc.. for a long time, years. Google is the only company I use for services like that as I have Android phone & tablet, with the exception of WhatsApp which is the only other service I use.

Associate
Yea, I haven't used Facebook or Twitter etc.. for a long time, years. Google is the only company I use for services like that as I have Android phone & tablet, with the exception of WhatsApp which is the only other service I use.

WhatsApp being owned by Facebook could be an issue. It’s frustrating as everybody uses these services to the point where it’s inconvenient not to, but it does make you wonder...

We just have to accept it to an extent unless you’re willing to go without a smartphone

Caporegime
The whole point of AI is it's supposed to learn by doing, it's not out of the realms of possibility that is had learned to do this depending on how truly advanced AI actually is these days, either that OR google have intentionally programmed it to do this either way it's pretty cool and equally creepy

Also re your Sonic comment.... bugs exist, devs usually don't know they exist until they're reported, I would imagine AI is not immune from bugs like every other computer code that exists, this would just be a convenient bug if it was a bug

Learning by doing = processing the data it’s given, not magical powers to unilaterally change the inputs and somehow take control of other functionality on remote devices...

You’re again just treating this as “woo”, something magical/sci fi.

The sonic analogy is valid here... yes bugs and unexpected behaviour can happen with software programs, someone in the 90s considering sonic jumping out of the screen because “games are advanced theses days” would be just as silly.

Soldato
Actually whilst we're on this topic, I was watching 'The Fugitive' with Harrison Ford on my TV on Netflix, and a day or so later a video about the making of the train crash scene appears in my recommended video YouTube list?

I've had other similar instances, and makes you wonder to what degree Google are snooping on users. I can only assume my androud smartphone detected audio from the film playing?

You don't think that watching a SmartTV connected to Netflix via the 'net thats probably affiliated to Google might have something to do with it?

People surround themselves with phones that track everything you do tv's that know everything you watch and alexa's that hear and see everything you do, then wonder how advertisers know their inside leg measurement?

Man of Honour
So, no violation of privacy at all then, just another case of not reading the smallprint I guess.
Not specifically related to this topic, I really dislike this ‘small print’ justification for everything and anything. Material terms for anything should be upfront and not ‘hidden’. I know that doesn’t neatly tie in with the plethora of terms and conditions that come with using electronic devices that share data, but there is nevertheless something ominous about using data so liberally when most people would say ‘no, I’d rather not, thank you’.

We had a really weird one the other day when watching a channel 4 via their on demand service. An advert popped up and the voiceover for the toothpaste / conditioner or whatever it was addressed my wife by her first name. Wtf is this, Minority Report?!

Soldato
I've decided to edit the OP in an attempt to ward off the usual keyboard warrior approach that's now way too frequent in this section of the forum.

I'm genuinely interested in what steps people take to protect their privacy with their gadgets, particularly your phone. Please share your tactics (if any).

On my Google feed today, I have noticed two articles that are quite bespoke. For example one is this article: https://www.dekkobird.com/how-to-paint-kitchen-cabinets-my-own-kitchen-refresh/

My wife is currently painting kitchen cupboards (it's a tactic, she wants a new kitchen and thinks I was born yesterday :p). I'm away from home right now, and the communication about the kitchen refresh has been purely pictures of her work sent over WhatsApp and verbal conversation, again using WhatsApp.

There was another article in the feed today, and again the subject was definitely only discussed verbally last night via WhatsApp. I am not impressed with this, it goes beyond privacy violation IMO.

How can I address this? Amend settings that I'm unaware of? Switch away from Android?

Dont buy any smart or internet connected devices. Dont use products or services made by surveillance capitalists (google, Facebook etc). Buy apple hardware.

Soldato
I've decided to edit the OP in an attempt to ward off the usual keyboard warrior approach that's now way too frequent in this section of the forum.

I'm genuinely interested in what steps people take to protect their privacy with their gadgets, particularly your phone. Please share your tactics (if any).

On my Google feed today, I have noticed two articles that are quite bespoke. For example one is this article: https://www.dekkobird.com/how-to-paint-kitchen-cabinets-my-own-kitchen-refresh/

My wife is currently painting kitchen cupboards (it's a tactic, she wants a new kitchen and thinks I was born yesterday :p). I'm away from home right now, and the communication about the kitchen refresh has been purely pictures of her work sent over WhatsApp and verbal conversation, again using WhatsApp.

There was another article in the feed today, and again the subject was definitely only discussed verbally last night via WhatsApp. I am not impressed with this, it goes beyond privacy violation IMO.

How can I address this? Amend settings that I'm unaware of? Switch away from Android?

Dont buy any smart or internet connected devices. Dont use products or services made by surveillance capitalists (google, Facebook etc). Buy apple hardware.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
How long before its a knock at your door by officers rather than a targeted advert on your social feed?

Back
Top Bottom