Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1 - Flat 34" 1440 144HZ 1MS IPS Freesync for <£400

Caporegime
OP
Would you suggest a replacement to see if it's any better? When not photographing it, doesn't seem so bad, but it's worse than my previous screen. There is a concern the replacement could be worse :p

If you aren't happy with it and it bothers you in normal usage with a reasonable brightness then I would get a replacement.

Associate
Just to check something. The highest refresh rate my monitor is currently showing at 3440x1440 is 75hz. I'm using an older GPU at the moment which only has DP1.2, so is it correct that this is limiting the options shown. In other words, I'm not missing out on being able to set the refresh rate higher for desktop usage, e.g. 100hz? I completely accept I won't be gaming at those rates!!

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Just to check something. The highest refresh rate my monitor is currently showing at 3440x1440 is 75hz. I'm using an older GPU at the moment which only has DP1.2, so is it correct that this is limiting the options shown. In other words, I'm not missing out on being able to set the refresh rate higher for desktop usage, e.g. 100hz? I completely accept I won't be gaming at those rates!!

You should be able to get 100Hz @ 8Bit with DP1.2 I would have thought. It can do 144Hz at normal 1440p, so 100Hz at ultrawide should be possible

Associate
You should be able to get 100Hz @ 8Bit with DP1.2 I would have thought. It can do 144Hz at normal 1440p, so 100Hz at ultrawide should be possible

Hmm. The only option I can get in Nvidia control panel at 3440x1440 is 75hz. Nothing faster or slower is listed for that resolution.

Also, if I go via Windows Display Settings --> Advanced display settings --> Display adaptor properties --> List All Modes, again there is only the single refresh rate for that resolution.

I also can't seem to create a custom resolution.

Associate
Another review:

https://www.kitguru.net/peripherals...3461wqsu-b1-34in-144hz-gaming-monitor-review/

Still thoroughly enjoying mine. Read that apparently, the latest firmware has fixed the screen waking up/half screen glitch issue too so it should be relatively save now to get one.....

Shame we can't update monitors firmware by ourselves like we can with TVs, odd why we can't!?

I thought that was odd, not least because if they notice there is an issue in the firmware, by default that is a fault with the product which existed when it shipped, so can be returned. Expensive approach!

Anyway, I can confirm that after two weeks of use I have not had this glitch once.

I'm absolutely loving this monitor for the productivity side - being able to have two proper-sized windows side-by-side is really great. Having spent some time configuring everything, I'm pretty happy with the colours, brightness etc (I actually mostly leave it on the "Standard" iStyle). I can't say I've suddenly found gaming any more immersive on account of the extra horizontal space but would probably notice it going back!

My only wish is that I could get the refresh rate up but that likely needs a new GPU. I have a Club 3D DP1.4 cable turning up in the post just in case it's the cable (I need a second one for when my wife wants to hook her laptop up to this monitor in any case).

Associate
Just received my monitor; the QC on this model is a joke. It's a shame because after a bit of tuning you can get a really nice image. Unless there's a big peely sticker to take off the screen, these deadpixels / dirt marks are egregious. The backlight bleed looks a lot worse than it is but the bottom left is a little eyebrow raising.

MB6AZal.jpg
chBfDvb.jpg
8vYy38G.jpg
6fjw0ms.jpg

Soldato
The back light will look like that on pretty much every IPS screen you take a picture of. You need to adjust the camera exposure so it matches what you can actually see. There is very little value in taking a picture otherwise.

Those dead pixels though... looks more like a huge flaw in the LCD itself.

Associate
To be honest, I'm actually a bit disappointed with this monitor (ignoring the issues I've had with it). I think the best summary I can give of it is that it's image is "dull". Compared to my Electriq 27" 95 Hz monitor (Pixio 275h), the colours don't pop like most IPS monitors I've used and even considering it's ultrawide, it costs £400 compared to the £150 of the former. I suppose some people would like this because muted colours are more accurate; the white's aren't particularly bright in my opinion though.

It's vastly superior to VA UW monitors I've tried though - there's very little ghosting as far as I can tell so it is a good gaming monitor; I just think it's not the one for me.

Associate
To be honest, I'm actually a bit disappointed with this monitor (ignoring the issues I've had with it). I think the best summary I can give of it is that it's image is "dull". Compared to my Electriq 27" 95 Hz monitor (Pixio 275h), the colours don't pop like most IPS monitors I've used and even considering it's ultrawide, it costs £400 compared to the £150 of the former. I suppose some people would like this because muted colours are more accurate; the white's aren't particularly bright in my opinion though.

It's vastly superior to VA UW monitors I've tried though - there's very little ghosting as far as I can tell so it is a good gaming monitor; I just think it's not the one for me.

Have you calibrated it? Only reason I ask is that I felt the same initially so colour calibrated it in windows which for me made a big difference. Also can add digital vibrancy through nv control panel and the colours pop more if that's what you're used to.
I have the electriq 32" IPS and the colour popped more, although I had to mute it by decreasing vibrancy.

Associate
Have you calibrated it? Only reason I ask is that I felt the same initially so colour calibrated it in windows which for me made a big difference. Also can add digital vibrancy through nv control panel and the colours pop more if that's what you're used to.
I have the electriq 32" IPS and the colour popped more, although I had to mute it by decreasing vibrancy.

It probably is a bit out of calibration but the main issue I have (other than the dead pixels) is there doesn't seem to be any difference between 50 and 100 birghtness. Do you find a difference there?

Caporegime
OP
Brightness 50-100....

And there's me still using 13 brightness :p

It could be more the lower contrast ratio and heavier matte finish that is impacting that "pop". When side by side with lg 29um65 (both around 120 nits for brightness), I didn't really notice a massive difference, 29um65 did have ever so slightly more pop especially in darker areas but on the whole this iiyama is better.

Associate
That really surprises me. Both the Iiyama and my Electriq are rated at 350 cd/m2 brightness; perhaps I really did get a dud Iiyama (or an absolutely prime Electriq specimen).

Back
Top Bottom