Anyone had their genome sequenced?

Soldato
Bit of an odd question perhaps, but as we are in the age where cost has dropped from $5 billion to about $300, I'm tempted to give it a shot. Just out of pure curiosity.

Soldato
I presume this is where they can tell if you have genes that could indicate medical conditions and other traits? Personally I'd say don't ask questions you don't want the answers to. :D

Also, there's no guarantee the company doing the work won't keep the data archived and that it won't be slurped by government agencies or even shared with the likes of insurance companies in the future (that could spell disaster for family premiums).

Excuse my dystopian paranoia...

Soldato
Are you talking about full genome sequencing or just DNA sequencing? I think full genome is more towards the £600 to £1,000 range.

I’ve had DNA done with 23andme. Got it when it was relatively new several years ago.

Soldato
OP
Are you talking about full genome sequencing or just DNA sequencing? I think full genome is more towards the £600 to £1,000 range.

I’ve had DNA done with 23andme. Got it when it was relatively new several years ago.

Full genome

Soldato
Do you just get the raw code? How will you know what you're reading?

23 and me give you lots of information which is kind of fun.

Associate
I presume this is where they can tell if you have genes that could indicate medical conditions and other traits? Personally I'd say don't ask questions you don't want the answers to. :D

Also, there's no guarantee the company doing the work won't keep the data archived and that it won't be slurped by government agencies or even shared with the likes of insurance companies in the future (that could spell disaster for family premiums).

Excuse my dystopian paranoia...
So, if you discover that you have faulty genes that would lead to a medical condition; do you have to mention this on the application form if taking out a life insurance policy?

Soldato
So, if you discover that you have faulty genes that would lead to a medical condition; do you have to mention this on the application form if taking out a life insurance policy?
It could amount to insurance fraud if you didn't declare a condition that you were aware of at the time of taking out a health or life insurance policy. I think you have to declare anything newly discovered at renewal but it'll be in the T&Cs. It's a tricky trade-off and why I'm personally very wary of this sort of thing.

We all know how insurance companies will use any technicality they can find to get out of paying up so I wouldn't be surprised at all if they acquired this sort of data down the line if they don't already.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is there an open'ish database with genome sequencing results ? or can you decide to voluntarily submit yours.

programme I'd heard suggested the analysis returns a lot of 'guff' about probability you have various personality/medical traites,
but, had, usefully, enabled people to identify biological parents .

Soon you will able to map your life out born the say your born,.
Gattaca's amongst my favourite films.

Back
Top Bottom