New GFX or new entire build?

Associate
Hi All,

I'm hoping a kind soul could give me some advice. I've been doing fine with a rig that's a few years old now. Still does everything I need it to, but I've noticed frame rates drop off since I bought a new monitor (27" 2560 x 1440).

As far as that goes, has the time come for a whole new setup, or would and updated card do me a few years yet?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six core 3.20GHZ
16GB RAM
Current GFX: NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 3Gb
Storage: SSD.

Any recommendations would be gratefully received. The New monitor is Free-sync compatible BTW

Thanks

Man of Honour
If your CPU is running at stock, the clock speed will be a handicap, but the 1060 3GB is more likely the problem. The 1060 is best for 1080p in newer games, 1440 will be a struggle.

Associate
OP
Thanks both

@Mickeyflinn depending on whether or not I need a whole new get up, I'd be willing to go to 150-200 if there was a card that would buy me another few years till I need to go the whole hog.

Man of Honour
You don't need a new set up

You have a freesync monitor so the 5600xt is a good option. £250

Probably the best gpu for 1440p is the 5700xt but that's £350.

1660 super can be had £200 If you want to spend less

Associate
Hi All,

I'm hoping a kind soul could give me some advice. I've been doing fine with a rig that's a few years old now. Still does everything I need it to, but I've noticed frame rates drop off since I bought a new monitor (27" 2560 x 1440).

As far as that goes, has the time come for a whole new setup, or would and updated card do me a few years yet?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six core 3.20GHZ
16GB RAM
Current GFX: NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 3Gb
Storage: SSD.

Any recommendations would be gratefully received. The New monitor is Free-sync compatible BTW

Thanks

Run your games in 1080p :)

jk

Man of Honour
Thanks both

@Mickeyflinn depending on whether or not I need a whole new get up, I'd be willing to go to 150-200 if there was a card that would buy me another few years till I need to go the whole hog.
Don't buy anything for £150, the 1650 is barely any faster. I'd look at, at least the next tier up. Hopefully something better will be out soon.

Associate
OP
Thanks All. @MickeyFlinn, that looks doable. I was actually surprised at how much the 1060 was still worth and benchmarking. I'll aim at that recommendation.

Thanks

Man of Honour
Thanks All. @MickeyFlinn, that looks doable. I was actually surprised at how much the 1060 was still worth and benchmarking. I'll aim at that recommendation.

Thanks
Which gpu are you going for ?

You can always sell the 1060 not sure how much, or keep it as a spare it's always handy to have a back up.

Damm i need to read posts properly :D

Associate
OP
Thanks again for all the advice guys, I'm fairly sure I'm going to go for the 3700 now, but it's been a while for me and I'm a bit out of touch on all the variations there are. Any tips?

Soldato
Any tips?

Yes, if you have to buy right now push the boat out and get the 5700XT as long as your PSU is suitable to support one. You can get a decent card from £350, but really I'd just try your best to run with the card until we see what happens with newer AMD/Nvida cards over the coming couple of months. 5600XT for 1440p is OK now, but how much longer will that be the case? :)

Associate
OP
Yep, a friend has also recommended waiting for Nvidia, if only to enjoy the price drop on the 5700 if the Nvidia cards aren't worth it.

It's so tempting to go now especially when I've got frame rates dropping to the 30's on some games on the bigger monitor, but common sense says wait.

Man of Honour
Yep, a friend has also recommended waiting for Nvidia, if only to enjoy the price drop on the 5700 if the Nvidia cards aren't worth it.

It's so tempting to go now especially when I've got frame rates dropping to the 30's on some games on the bigger monitor, but common sense says wait.

In terms of an actual Nvidia Ampere release date we've had it confirmed to us that it will come in September, though current rumours are bouncing between either September 15 or 17. With a potential unveiling at the start of the month a two-week gap before a full launch would make sense.

Source pc gamer.

I don't expect see any price drops till then

Associate
OP
Free sync option greyed out on the monitor OSD. I know for a fact that the moniotr has it as it was the reason I went for it. I'm connected to the 1060 by HDMI, could that be a reason?

Associate
OP
I might have cracked it.

I got the Samsung C27JG56QQU 27" WQHD 144Hz VA Curved Monitor. It advertised AMD Freesynce, which I had been told would be compatible with GSync (Nvidia Cards) too.

Could this be another nail in the coffin of my 1060?

Associate
OP
SOLVED: Well this is embarrassing. In my haste to set up my new monitor, I incorrectly assumed HDMI1 was the fastest port if indeed there was any difference.

Not only is there a difference, the difference is that HDMI1 is capped at 60Hz and furthermore doesn't support Freesync.

Today was a school day. Read the instructions Paul.

Thanks for all your help guys. I'm still buying a card next month, but the help I've had here has saved me a good bit of money, if not embarassment.

Back
Top Bottom