BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Man of Honour
Quality of OR engineers varies a lot in my experience - we had one in to re-route the phone line awhile back and he was brilliant - professional, came up with exactly the same solution as I thought was best without me prompting, knew his stuff and cleaned up properly behind him with a very tidy end result and checked with us everything was working before he left. On the other have I've had ones in who talked a load of BS - I've had to humour them a bit as they obviously don't have the level of tech understanding they think they have - do a half arsed job and leave - one even shutting the cable in the door of the box he was working on severing it causing us to have to have another engineer out, etc.

Associate
Yes VM are a horrendous ISP. Even if you're lucky and you are in a non0congested area, you still have to deal with their rude and lying call centre staff.

Who is your current ISP?

I'm currently on BT FTTC. I guess I'll just hope that BT has got wind that VM thinks this area is worth pumping money into that they will also allow FTTP in the very near future.

Caporegime
It's not generally a case of 'allowing' FTTP, it's a commercial rollout and there are lots of factors deciding where deployments are done. Availability of a qualified workforce is just one of the problems.

Associate
Hi, quick update from my slow speed problem a few pages back. I have raised a ticket with my ISP, who has also raised a ticket with Openreach, will be a few days before any diagnostics/feedback.

Associate
Hello again, Openreach performed a DSLAM reset(?) which doubled my Current rate from 5800 to 12000

Do the stats below look "normal" an previous poster said my SNR was high (15.2 down) when my speed was limited to 5800

Uptime 0 days 9 hours 3 minutes

Upstream Downstream
Current Rate (kbps) 535 12198
Max Rate (kbps) 561 12087
SNR Margin (dB) 6.9 5.6
Line Attenuation (dB) 68.9 32.2
Errors (pkts) 0 2194

Note, I have changed nothing at my end.

Thanks

Caporegime
What are you expecting to get? Just seeing the numbers could mean either you have a fault, or that your line is just long - people need more information to tell you whether things are 'good' or not.

Associate
What are you expecting to get? Just seeing the numbers could mean either you have a fault, or that your line is just long - people need more information to tell you whether things are 'good' or not.

There is a very large band, Openreach checker

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 17 -- 15 to 18.5

Max Observed Downstream Speed 24.99
Max Observed Upstream Speed 9.86
Observed Date 2020-08-20

My ISP is saying:

Download Speed Range 4.9Mb - 15.3Mb

12000bps is the best is been for over a year.

Soldato
There is a very large band, Openreach checker

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 17 -- 15 to 18.5

Max Observed Downstream Speed 24.99
Max Observed Upstream Speed 9.86
Observed Date 2020-08-20

My ISP is saying:

Download Speed Range 4.9Mb - 15.3Mb

12000bps is the best is been for over a year.

Are you sure it is an ADSL2+ line? The max observed upstream speed of 9.86Mbps suggests it is VDSL2, you can't get that upload speed on ADSL.

What is listed above WBC ADSL2 on the Openreach checker? Anything for VDSL?

Soldato
Hello again, Openreach performed a DSLAM reset(?) which doubled my Current rate from 5800 to 12000

Do the stats below look "normal" an previous poster said my SNR was high (15.2 down) when my speed was limited to 5800

Uptime 0 days 9 hours 3 minutes

Upstream Downstream
Current Rate (kbps) 535 12198
Max Rate (kbps) 561 12087
SNR Margin (dB) 6.9 5.6
Line Attenuation (dB) 68.9 32.2
Errors (pkts) 0 2194

Note, I have changed nothing at my end.

Thanks

Yeah that was me. Your SNR looks a lot better at 6 dB, that’s the normal and should stay that way if the line is stable and has no faults. If you’re lucky it may even drop to 3 dB and increase your sync slightly.

But you must be very far away from your PCP cabinet to only achieve such a low speed on FTTC...

Not sure why you keep quoting ADSL2 speeds from the Openreach checker either... Thought you said you was definitely on FTTC? Where is the FTTC estimate range from the checker?

Edit: Also when you signed up for FTTC, do you have the email with your estimated speed and the guaranteed minimum speed quoted?

Last edited:
Associate
Just wanting some confirmation on modems

I know that with the FTTC products you can use an aftermarket modem or whatever such as the Draytek but does this still ring true for BT's FTTP where I can choose what router I use?

Associate
Are you sure it is an ADSL2+ line? The max observed upstream speed of 9.86Mbps suggests it is VDSL2, you can't get that upload speed on ADSL.

What is listed above WBC ADSL2 on the Openreach checker? Anything for VDSL?

Sorry, I am getting my technical names mixed up, here are results checker. I am using a FTTC service

i-f92g4DQ-X3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom